52 Assisted Living Facilities near Troy, MI
With an average cost of $3,781 in Troy, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 71 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 13 facilities in Troy.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Troy, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Troy
Troy, a suburb of Detroit, is the largest city in Oakland County with nearly 16 percent of residents age 65 and over. To serve this group, there are 61 assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Troy, Michigan, regulated by the Michigan Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing, which is a division of the Department of Human Services. ALFs are defined by the state as those having 25 or more residents, aged 55 or older who need assistance with personal care like bathing, grooming and medication management.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Troy
- Located in southeast Michigan north of Detroit, Troy has four distinct seasons, including warm, often humid summers and cold, snowy winters, both of which can be uncomfortable for some older people. The average high temperature is 30 degrees Fahrenheit in January and 82 degrees in July.
- Troy has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Troy Recreation Department, an organization that provides meals on wheels, exercise programs and senior bus transportation, as well as three senior centers.
- Crime is not nearly the problem in Troy that it is in many other parts of southeast Michigan. The crime rate is 40 percent lower in Troy than the national average, which makes Troy safer than 70 percent of U.S. cities.
- The Troy, Michigan area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Beaumont Hospital Troy and the Henry Ford Medical Center Troy, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Getting around Troy is easy. For seniors who drive, the city is located right on I-75. While there is no regular scheduled bus transportation in Troy, Med-Go Plus offers residents age 60 and older transportation to and from non-emergency medical appointments with advance reservations. In addition, the Michigan Smart Bus system offers curb-to-curb service to points within 10 miles with advanced reservations.
- Troy and the surrounding area are home to a number of events, cultural sites and museums. Chief among these are the Troy Museum and Historic Village, the Cranbrook Institute of Science and the Stage Nature Center. Most attractions and cultural events in Troy offer senior discounts, although the qualifying age may vary.
Paying for Assisted Living in Troy
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Troy start around $3,614 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Troy and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Troy
Financial assistance for eligible Troy, Michigan seniors is available from several state and federal programs, including the Medicaid State Plan, MI Choice and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Troy
Troy and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Troy, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Troy
Troy-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Troy, MI
Other Options in Troy, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Troy
Review of American House Troy
My mother is on the assisted living part of American House Troy. It's clean, people are very friendly, and she has her own apartment, which has a little kitchenette. Somebody comes in and cleans fo... Read more
Review of Genesis Senior Living I
I went to Genesis, which I like very much. I was going to choose them but they didn't have the space. I was impressed with them. There was a lady there that showed me around and she was the wife of... Read more
Review of Anthology of Troy
My mother is at Anthology of Troy. She's in assisted living, and she has the highest level of care there. It's been very good. She gets very good care there. They keep me informed of what's going o... Read more