58 Assisted Living Facilities near Royal Oak, MI
With an average cost of $5,450 in Royal Oak, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 64 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 5 facilities in Royal Oak.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Royal Oak, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Royal Oak
Royal Oak is called "The City of Trees" because of its multitude of tree varieties that have been preserved and grown throughout the town since 1938. Royal Oak is a quiet suburb of Detroit with a senior population of 13.5 percent, where seniors can choose from five assisted living facilities to help with laundry and housekeeping, personal care, and medication administration - as well as providing a safe and secure environment. The Michigan Adult Foster Care and Homes for the Aged Licensing Division regulates assisted living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Royal Oak
- The cost of living in Royal Oak is 5 percent lower than the national average, making it one of the more affordable places for seniors to live.
- The state of Michigan does not tax social security checks, which means seniors can enjoy having a little more money in their budget.
- Royal Oak has a lower crime rate than 60 percent of cities in the United States. A senior's chance of becoming a victim of violent crime here is only 1 in 808, compared to 1 in 218 for Michigan overall. The rate of property crime in Royal Oak is barely over half the state median.
- The City of Royal Oak provides transportation to residents who are aged 60 or over. Drivers provide a door-to-door service to help seniors attend medical appointments or get to where they need to go.
- The Royal Oak area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Beaumont Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Royal Oak has an array of community resources for seniors, including Adjacent Generational Exchange (AGE), an organization that encourages volunteers to assist frail elderly people by sharing their skills, hobbies, and crafts, as well as two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Royal Oak
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Royal Oak start around $5,450 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Royal Oak and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Royal Oak
In Michigan, lower-income seniors can use Medicaid to pay for assisted living. Michigan assesses seniors' eligibility for Medicaid on an individual basis, taking into account their income, care and medical expenses, and their cost of living. However, Michigan, unfortunately, does not offer any non-Medicaid financial assistance programs to help seniors meet the costs of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Royal Oak
Royal Oak and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Royal Oak, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Royal Oak
Royal Oak-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Royal Oak, MI
Other Options in Royal Oak, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Royal Oak
Review of Chester Street Residence
Chester Street Residence is the best. My husband has been there for a month. He can't walk, he can barely talk, and he can't use his hands. He's in his own room, but he does have help with everythi... Read more
Review of Royal Oak House
The three and a half months my mother spent at this facility were horrible. The care was minimal, at best, the management inept, and the revolving door of employees meant that she spent her days ar... Read more
Review of Chester Street Residence
Just a note to say how much my family loves Chester Street. The care that her loving caregivers give my mom is beyond anything we could have hoped for at this stage of her life. Marty Seltzer and h... Read more