11 Assisted Living Facilities near Portage, IN
Also serving communities of Lake Station, Hobart.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Portage area, with 2 in Portage and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Portage is $2,100 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 87 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portage. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portage 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Chesterton with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portage, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Portage, IN
9 Assisted Living Facilities near Portage, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portage
The city of Portage is located in Porter County, Indiana, near Lake Michigan. The city hosts an annual Senior Health Fair every spring, providing local seniors with free health screenings and the opportunity to visit with dozens of area vendors. The senior community in Portage is fairly large, accounting for nearly 15% of the 37,000-person population.
Seniors who need assistance with daily living activities may choose to transition to a local assisted living facility. In Portage, as in the rest of Indiana, assisted living facilities may also be referred to as residential care facilities. They are licensed through the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging. Portage has two assisted living facilities, and there are nine more nearby in cities like Hobart and Chesterton.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portage
- While Portage retirees do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits, they do pay taxes on withdrawals from retirement savings accounts and income from government and private pensions.
- While particle pollution levels in Portage are fairly low, the city has very high ozone pollution levels. This may be a concern for some seniors with certain medical conditions who are considering relocating to this city for assisted living.
- The Portage area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Portage Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- While Portage does not have its own public transportation system, disabled and elderly residents can receive transportation services through Porter County's door-to-door demand-response transportation program. Low-income seniors may be eligible to receive a subsidy to help pay their fare.
- Portage is rated safer than 44% of U.S. cities and 27% of Indiana cities of all sizes. Violent crime occurs at a higher rate here than in the average U.S. city, though the property crime rate is near the national median. Seniors researching local assisted living options may want to find a facility with security features like high-security locks.
- Portage has warm, humid summers with July highs in the low-80s. In general, winters are cold with January lows in the teens and an average snowfall of 39 inches. The area's climate may be a consideration for seniors who prefer mild weather year-round.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portage
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Portage start around $2,100 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portage and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portage
Portage seniors have access to three state-funded programs that may help cover assisted living expenses, including the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program, Medicaid and the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portage
Portage and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portage, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portage
Portage-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Portage, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portage
Review of Rittenhouse Village at Portage
My mother has moved into Rittenhouse Village. It's been very nice. She has been very happy there. The rooms are very nice and very comfortable. My mother is very happy with the staff members. She s... Read more
Review of Rittenhouse Village at Portage
We went to Rittenhouse Village. Everything was nice. We had no problem with it. It was all compact and very available. We liked it. It was very neat and clean. The staff members were very pleasant,... Read more
Review of The Wyndwood Portage
Brookdale Portage was very nice. The dining area was also nice, but the rooms were a little small. The staff that we met were very nice and helpful as well. The few residents I spoke to said they w... Read more