13 Assisted Living Facilities near Charlestown, IN
Also serving communities of Sellersburg, Scottsburg.
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Charlestown area, with 1 in Charlestown and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Charlestown is $2,980 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 99 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Charlestown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Charlestown 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Prospect with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Charlestown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Charlestown, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Charlestown
The small city of Charleston is situated in the eastern region of Clark County in southeastern Indiana. The city is home to Charlestown State Park, a sprawling 5,100-acre park where seniors who enjoy fishing can fish for a discounted rate.
To support its senior community, which makes up nearly 12 percent of the city's 8,200-person population, Charlestown has one assisted living facility. Seniors who are willing to venture out from the city proper will find an additional 10 facilities nearby. The official licensure term for these facilities is Residential Care Facilities, and they offer at least one health-related service and two or more scheduled supportive services to at least five individuals. In Charlestown, as in all of Indiana, assisted living facilities are licensed and monitored by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Charlestown
- Charlestown experiences four distinct seasons, with year-round temperatures varying between 27 degrees and 87 degrees Fahrenheit. While seniors may appreciate the city's minimal snowfall, the high levels of humidity in the summer may be a problem for those with cardiovascular or respiratory illnesses.
- The American Lung Association gave Clark County an ozone grade of F and a short-term particle pollution grade of B. This may be a concern for seniors with asthma, COPD, lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Charlestown is an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living that is nearly 10 percent below the national average. This relatively low cost of living is reflected in the city's grocery and health care prices, though seniors may find that transportation costs are about 13 percent higher here than they are in other U.S. cities.
- Indiana seniors pay state income tax on any income they draw from retirement accounts or pensions, but Social Security benefits are tax-exempt. This may impact how much money a senior can put towards their assisted living expenses.
- Charlestown offers a variety of arts and culture venues, including the Rose Island Playhouse & Company, Inc., which provides live theatrical performances, as well as educational and volunteer opportunities for local residents. Seniors are eligible to receive a discount on membership.
- The Charlestown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Charlestown Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Charlestown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Charlestown start around $2,980 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Charlestown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Charlestown
Charlestown seniors who meet income guidelines can apply with three Indiana programs to receive financial assistance for their assisted living expenses. These programs include Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) Waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Charlestown
Charlestown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Charlestown, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Charlestown
Charlestown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Charlestown, IN
Other Options in Charlestown, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Charlestown
Review of River Crossing
River Crossing's building itself is not new but the people were caring. The staff who assisted me during the tour was helpful, and willing to come on their day off and showed us whatever we asked f... Read more
Review of River Crossing
the staff is caring. the asst. living is clean. There is dietary plan for food. The food is horrible. There no exercise programs in place. They say due to people with high blood Pressure! They do h... Read more
Review of River Crossing
River Crossing was very friendly and accommodating, but it wasn't as clean as it should be, and the apartments are very small. The staff was very friendly. The activities calendar looked very good.... Read more