The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

50 Wellesley Drive, Newport News, VA 23606
The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community (800) 385-2527

Reviews of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

Assisted Living Reviews for The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

January 22, 2018

By procy

I really enjoyed my visit here, I would definitely recommend this place.

December 26, 2017

By DP845673

Beautiful place, very warm and the staff are great.

November 27, 2016

By Joy Grace

The Hidenwood Retirement Community feels like home when you walk through the door. Best of all you can tell everyone who works there really cares about helping Residents and Visitors. They work as a team and their passion for caregiving shines through!

November 30, 2014

By George decker

The Hidenwood was a more attractive community. The rooms were a little more attractive. The menu and food was better. It had pretty much the same activities as the other facility. It also had nurses on the staff, and it had a nice area outside for people who live there to go and enjoy the outside. They had a little garden. It was very nice, and they have updated everything. They had more of a variety of rooms to choose from. They had two bedrooms, one bedroom deluxe, and also a studio. Aesthetically, I thought it was nicer.

November 14, 2013

By dnf01

My Mother moved into the Hidenwood in September of 2012 at the age of 93. She passed away in her apartment at the Hidenwood in July at age 94. I was her primary care provider and I lived over 400 miles from her former residence. My Mother lived alone in her home as a widow for 15 years. Upon changing her residence to the Hidenwood along with her favorite pieces of furniture and her most cherished personal belongings, she immediately felt "at home" at the Hidenwood. My family and I were able to afford the assisted living care package for her, and although she initially rebelled at the idea of compromised independence, she came to rely on the extra personal attention from the most competent, caring and attentive personal staff my family and I could have ever hoped for. My Mother wasn't crazy about weekends at the Hidenwood because weekends, rightfully so, were more about the residents visiting with family, and since I was so far away, these became lonely times for her. But, during the week, with all the activities and movies and visits with her new friends and of course with the staff, and the busy dining room, I think the quiet weeknds were good for my Mother to finally get some rest! And maybe the best thing about the Hidenwood, at least from my seat, was the level of competence and compassion and professionalism shown by the the professional and managerial team at the Hidenwood. Their team exceeded my expectations, and I had pretty high standards and expectations when it came to my Mother's care. Looking back, my biggest regret was the serious conversation I should have had with my mother years before her life ended and to have encouraged her to consider to move into the Hidenwood much sooner than she did. As the saying goes, "if I knew then what I know now..." A five star rating is easy to offer, and I would highly recommned the Hidenwood as the care provider for your elderly loved ones and in exchange, the Hidenwood will give you comfort and peace of mind to know you did the right thing...at least that's how it worked out for me.

May 14, 2013

We chose The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community for two reasons. The location was convenient to where my brother lived and the cost was just within my mom's income. The initial visit was difficult because my mother was not ready to move in a facility yet. The staff we met was very understanding and she showed us around. We were impressed with the renovations they made. We had lunch and the food was really good. On our second visit, mom was more receptive and everyone made it a point to make her feel welcome. When she finally moved in, my brother said the nursing staff was so nice and they came in to give her medicines. Everyone just seemed accommodating. All the staff even the aids were extremely friendly and made you feel welcome. And they seemed to care for the residents genuinely. She was in a small studio and it handled everything she needed. She was happy with the space. There were a lot of activities like coffee hour every morning, crafts a couple of times a week, bingo, Scrabble, and planned trips weekly for grocery or general shopping. During holidays, they also had special events. My mom seemed happy.

March 26, 2013

By Mim's Crew

Our mother has been a resident here for 3 years and we have been very satisfied with the facility and the level of care she has received. She has made so many friends and is close enough so that we can visit her often. The apartments are clean and well-kept. Maintenance issues are addressed quickly. The nursing assistance is generally good. I haven't eaten there, but she complains about the food served - usually about its preparation, such as being too spicy or over-cooked. But, that has been her only real complaint. The staff have been wonderful to all of us and they go above and beyond to offer her activities, enlist her help with setting up for events and programs, decorating, etc., This has helped make her feel needed and has kept her busy. It's been a good fit for her and we feel good about her being there.

March 20, 2013

By Valerie Madison

My mother-in-law is at Hidenwood Retirement Facility. I wouldn't recommend this place though because patients just go eat and sit down. They don't have any activities. They have a gym but nobody's manning it. If they give you physical therapy, they charge you extra. Most of the workers are terrible. They don't do what they're supposed to do. A lot of times the place is nasty and crazy.

Ms. Madison, I am sorry to hear that your experiences at our community did not meet your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity at any time to address these experiences with you. Please feel free as always to call us or stop in. 757-930-1075.

May 04, 2012

By hoodratflu

The facility was amazing. The landscape was gorgeous, very well kept gardens and clean parking lot. The staff were all friendly and obviously made the attended feel at home. What amazed me the most was the food that is served are actually meals, not like hospital food. The price was steep, but for what you are receiving that is expected.

April 20, 2012

By Deborah C.

It's a very nice facility. It was great and close. The proximity was wonderful. Couldn't move mom in here because they didn't have that many levels of care. My mom had dementia. Not really equipped for people with dementia or special needs. People who can feed themselves and toilet themselves would be perfect candidates for Hidenwood.

January 20, 2012

By whatup_007

My great grandmother lived at the Hidenwood. She had a really good relationship with the staff. Her favorite activities were getting her hair done and playing bingo. Before moving in, she was really hesitant to leave her home but he facility made her feel comfortable. She got along with all the residents and even had a "boyfriend" for a short time while living there.While all nursing homes and assisted living facilities have that hospital smell, Hidenwood countered this with a pleasant and well kept grounds. My great grandmother enjoyed the gardens and many species of birds were attracted to the feeders outside her window. The residents were also kept entertained with frequent day trips to areas of interest in Newport News and the surrounding areas.The Hidenwood helped my great grandmother feel comfortable in her final days. While I can't comment on the day to day operations of the staff, I can saw my great grandmother felt comfortable in a vibrant and engaging community.

Photos of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

Services and Amenities of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

• Pharma

• Pets: All Pets

About The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community

The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community is a senior living provider in Newport News, Virginia that offers residents Assisted Living. Contact The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community for more details on services and rates.

Map of The Hidenwood Assisted Living and Retirement Community