Sunny, coastal Newport News, VA, has over 179,000 residents, of which 12.7% are ages 65 and older. These seniors can find high-quality medical care at Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital. They also have access to high-performing Riverside Regional Medical Center, which houses Select Specialty Hospital Hampton Roads, a critical illness recovery unit. Nursing home costs in Newport News are relatively low, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. A semiprivate room here has an average monthly cost of $7,665, while the national average is $7,756.

Nursing homes accommodate the progressive personal and medical needs of individuals who can no longer care for themselves in another living arrangement. These facilities provide skilled nurses, aides, 24/7 supervision and therapies along with room and board and social programs. Such extensive support raises the cost of nursing homes compared to other senior care options. Home health care or assisted living may be more affordable and suitable alternatives for individuals not requiring high levels of care.

This guide discusses the costs of different senior care types in Newport News and compares nursing home rates across Virginia. It also describes some local resources in place to help the city’s elders and their families.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Newport News, VA

Elite Eldercare Nursing Home

11 San Jose Drive, Newport News, VA, 23606

Elite Eldercare has very nice,well-kept houses. Each person has their room that opens up to the little porch to the side. It is almost like a private home with several residents living there and a nur … (read more)

Chesapeake The

955 HARPERSVILLE RD, Newport News, VA, 23601

Can’t say enough good things about the health care unit at the Chesapeake. My dad, who was a Chesapeake resident in both independent & assisted living, had to be admitted into the health care unit … (read more)

Newport Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center

11141 Warwick, Newport News, VA, 23601

I remember coming here during my HS days. We IBers (the program we were in at the time) had taken on projects to hep our community. We could tutor younger children, help clean up other areas around to … (read more)

Old Dominion Rehabilitation and Nursing

4 Ridgewood Parkway, Newport News, VA, 23602

I was in short term for 3 weeks. There was a few good staff but so short handed. Didn’t even have wipes to clean my ostomy bag. Had a blow out with my ostomy bag had to wait two hours for someone to … (read more)

Newport News Nursing & Rehab

12997 NETTLES DRIVE, Newport News, VA, 23602

THIS FACILITY IS EXTREMELY POOR TO THEIR PATIENTS!!! My grandma was taken here and told she was going to get the most up right and top care that they could provide for her and, THEY FAILED MISERABLY!! … (read more)

The Gardens at Warwick Forest

1000 Old Denbeigh Boulevard, Newport News, VA, 23602

Spent some time in rehab recently after having a leg amputated. Both the therapy and nursing sections treated me like and lord and catered to all my needs caringly, professionally and with great digni … (read more)

James River Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center

540 Aberthaw Avenue, Newport News, VA, 23601

This place is bad. My mom was in this place care between June to September 2020. No one called me that she was transferred to the place. I called the front desk to see what room she is in and what is … (read more)

York Convalescent Center

113 Battle Road, Yorktown, VA, 23692

My wife is now at York Convalescent Center. This is her fifth visit there, and I’m very comfortable with the facility, the staff, and the care that they render. I have no complaints. I have tried the … (read more)

Riverside Healthy Living Community Smithfield

101 John Rolfe Drive, Smithfield, VA, 23430

We chose Riverside Healthy Living Community Smithfield based on the recommendation of friends and a few nurse’s aides, and their review from U.S. Health. It looked like their information was good, and … (read more)

Riverside Rehabilitation Hospital

250 Josephs Drive, Yorktown, VA, 23693

Riverside Rehabilitation Hospital was awesome. My wife was there for two weeks and it was a wonderful place. I liked how attentive they were to her needs and everything was geared around getting her o … (read more)

Regency Health and Rehabilitation

112 N Constitution Dr, Yorktown, VA, 23692

My mother was in here to gain her strength from her muscle being week. While being there they let her fall and because of that she has had to have surgery because she broke her leg under there care.th … (read more)

Riverside Convalescent Center-smithfield

200 LUMAR RD, Smithfield, VA, 23430

The staff is nice. I guess they’re understaffed because my loved one called me twice telling me they had rung the he’ll 3 times and no-one had come to they’re room.

Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center

305 Marcella Road, Hampton, VA, 23666

My mother-in-law was at Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center. They had activities planned for their residents, but I think there was a lot of inconsistency in the care (as far as the nurses … (read more)

Hampton Health and Rehab

2230 Executive Drive, Hampton, VA, 23666

My mom is in Hampton Health and Rehab for rehab. The place is OK. A couple of the nurses there I’m pissed off about, but there’s one nurse that’s been really, really helpful. She’s been there for abou … (read more)

Northampton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center

1028 Topping Lane, Hampton, VA, 23666

I love the services here. The staff is very friendly, particularly Shawn, Tamaro, Tanieka, Amber and others. However, I am concerned about the loosening of the Covid restrictions . I have a relative c … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Newport News, VA

Nursing home semiprivate rooms in Newport News cost an average of $7,665 per month. Private rooms cost an average of $8,699 per month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

In Newport News, the cost for a semiprivate room in a nursing community cost $7,665, which is in line with the state average. This is a little less than the U.S. average of $7,756.

Nursing home fees in Newport News fall in the lower range among cities in Virginia. In Richmond, seniors pay $1,399 more on average, but in Lynchburg, prices plummet to $1,021 less than in Newport News. Winchester sees some of the state’s highest costs at $1,091 above Newport News. Roanoke’s average is closer, falling shy by only $152 per month.

Newport News

Winchester

$7513

Roanoke

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Families in Newport News exploring senior care options may find it helpful to compare prices for nursing homes and other accommodations. Adult day health care offers the most affordable care at an average of $1,950 per month. Home care and home health both carry the same average cost of $3,813 per month. Assisted living is also cheaper than nursing home care with an average of $4,365. Nursing homes, the most expensive type of senior care, cost an average of $7,665 for a private room and $8,699 for a semiprivate room in Newport News.

$1950

Home health care

$4365

Assisted living

$7665

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8699

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Newport News was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Virginia Beach, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Newport News, VA

Free Resources for Seniors in Newport News, VA

Resource

Contact

Service

The PAA is a source of information and assistance for adults 60 and older. It coordinates in-come care, congregate and home-delivered meals and online wellness classes. The Caring Neighbors Program offers light housekeeping, friendly visits, safety check-in calls, transportation and canine companion visits.

SSSEVA offers a wide range of programs to support seniors 60 and older as they age at home. Services include personal and chore assistance, medical and non-medical transportation, Meals on Wheels and farmers market vouchers. Senior companions regularly visit clients and offer respite to family caregivers. The Care Transitions Program facilitates returning to home after a hospital stay. Senior Cool Care provides cooling units during the summer.

LASEV offers free legal consultations, advice and representation in civil matters for low-income Virginians. This organization assists clients with estate planning and issues with public benefits such as Medicaid.

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program helps uphold the rights and dignity of long-term care recipients in nursing homes, assisted living facilities and private homes. Ombudsmen receive and investigate grievances made by or on behalf of these consumers. Medicaid Managed Care Advocates assist Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus participants in resolving issues with plan benefits and coverage.