34 Assisted Living Facilities near Yorktown, VA
There are 34 Assisted Living Facilities in the Yorktown area, with 2 in Yorktown and 32 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Yorktown is $4,150 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Newport News with an average starting cost of $3,350.
To help you with your search, browse the 172 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Yorktown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Yorktown 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Yorktown, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Yorktown, VA
32 Assisted Living Facilities near Yorktown, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Yorktown
Yorktown, situated on the southeast Virginia coast, was the home of the historical Battle of Yorktown during the Revolutionary War. Today, the city has art galleries, museums, festivals and markets for the area’s residents including a senior community that makes up more than 34% of the city’s total population.
Yorktown has two assisted living facilities within the city limits with 32 more located in nearby neighborhoods such as Williamsburg, Newport News and Hampton, to support seniors who need extra help with their personal care. In Yorktown, as is the case in all of Virginia, assisted living facilities are licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Yorktown
- Yorktown’s cost of living is 125.1, higher than both the Virginia average of 113.8 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors with restrictive budgets may want to take the higher cost of living into consideration before deciding to retire in this city.
- Social Security benefits are not taxed in Virginia, which could leave more money in the assisted living budget for Yorktown seniors.
- The Yorktown area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Newport News.
- Seniors with chronic respiratory conditions may find that their conditions don’t worsen when outside in Yorktown. The city has an air quality rating of 71, which is better than the national average of 58.
- Seniors looking to retire in a safe city may enjoy living in Yorktown. The city has a violent crime rate of 9.3 and a property crime rate of 23.1, both notably lower than the respective national averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
- Seniors who enjoy listening to the sound of raindrops on the roof might enjoy living in Yorktown, which receives 118 days with some type of precipitation each year. The city gets 47 inches of rain annually, almost 10 more than the national average of 38; and four inches of annual snowfall, 24 less than the national average of 28 inches. Summer highs in this city can reach 88 degrees and winter lows rarely drop below 31. Despite all the precipitation, this city still gets 213 sunny days each year, eight more than the national average of 205.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Yorktown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Yorktown start around $4,150 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Yorktown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Yorktown
Although Virginia’s Medicaid program does not pay for assisted living, Yorktown seniors who need help with their expenses and qualify for SSI may be able to receive support from the Auxiliary Grant Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Yorktown
Yorktown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Yorktown, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Yorktown
Yorktown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Yorktown, VA
Other Options in Yorktown, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Yorktown
Review of The Hamilton at The York
I really like The Hamilton at The York. They have very nice rooms. I like the size of the rooms. I also like the fact that they have the availability because it is still new. We are going back to s... Read more
Review of Harmony on the Peninsula
The Crossings on the Peninsula was relatively new. It was very nice, like a high-end hotel. Everybody was very nice, too. They had a community room where they do crafts and hold their community mee... Read more