Chesterfield County is a historically rich community in Virginia’s Richmond metro. It’s recognized as one of the best places in Virginia to live and is home to over 350,000 people, roughly 15% of whom are aged 65 and over. The county offers a broad range of benefits for its senior population, including an affordable cost of living, low crime and age-friendly recreational amenities. Its large library system features a main location and 10 branches throughout the county. Visitors have access to 300 public computers, book discussion groups and free events

Along with a broad range of amenities that support older adults’ comfort and quality of life, Chesterfield County has approximately 19 assisted living facilities. About half of these facilities are in Midlothian, and the others are scattered throughout Richmond, Chesterfield and Chester. On average, assisted living facilities in this region charge $3,645 monthly, making it among the most economical options in Virginia and the nation as a whole. This guide discusses assisted living fees in Chesterfield and draws comparisons to other cities in the state. It also outlines the programs available to those seeking this type of care.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Chesterfield County, VA

2016

Commonwealth Senior Living at Chesterfield

4931 Ridgedale Parkway, Richmond, VA, 23234

Commonwealth Senior Living at Chesterfield is a well-located assisted living and memory care facility in Richmond, Virginia just off of Chippenham Parkway. Visitors praise the facility for its warm an … (read more)

The Crossings at Ironbridge

6701 Ironbridge Parkway, Chester, VA, 23831

I had an in-person tour of The Crossings at Ironbridge. It was very good. The staff was very helpful and very knowledgeable. The facility was a little older, but it was very nice and clean. The locati … (read more)

Auburn Hill Senior Living

5800 Harbour Lane, Midlothian, VA, 23112

I went to Auburn Hill Senior Living, and my mother will be moving in there. It was very handy for me. It’s probably 10 minutes from my home. It’s very warm and inviting when you go in, the way it’s la … (read more)

Brookdale Midlothian

14016 Turnberry Lane, Midlothian, VA, 23113

We love Brookdale Midlothian, but we only saw one room, and it’s a private room with a private bath. It’s absolutely wonderful. The lady who helped us was very informative and very helpful. I’m like k … (read more)

Bickford of Chesterfield

11200 West Huguenot Road, Midlothian, VA, 23113

We did a tour of Bickford of Chesterfield, and several items made it on my list. It was very clean and well taken care of. It was a single floor and had gardens that people could walk out into. They h … (read more)

Morningside of Bellgrade

2800 Polo Parkway, Midlothian, VA, 23113

I’m hoping someone there can answer my inquiries about getting a refund on the overage paid on my grandfather’s account. We have been awaiting refund since July. We do not get return calls- even fro … (read more)

Brandermill Woods

2100 Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, 23112

I became acquainted with Chesterfield through my daughter who took me over there and I went to see a friend of mine who lives there. They wanted $3,000 dollars entrance fee as opposed to almost a quar … (read more)

Hall’s Care Homes LLC

6520 Licking Creek Drive, Chesterfield, VA, 23832

Hall’s Care Homes is a retirement place for veterans. My husband is a veteran and they do really good care there. I’m very pleased. The staff is great. He’s in a shared room, and they’re all shared ro … (read more)

Spring Arbor of Salisbury

14001 Turnberry Lane, Midlothian, VA, 23113

I toured Spring Arbor of Salisbury it’s very close to where I live. We didn’t like that one because I want independent living. I’m not ready for assisted living yet. They’re very nice, very informativ … (read more)

Assisted Living at Lucy Corr Village

6800 Lucy Corr Boulevard, Chesterfield, VA, 23832

I toured Assisted Living at Lucy Corr Village for my mother. The appearance was fine, I didn’t see any issues, however the rooms were all occupied. Since I was a walk-in, they told me I couldn’t see t … (read more)

The Laurels at Willow Creek

11611 Robious Rd, Midlothian, VA, 23113

I needed their rehabilitation services. The Nursing Staff was excellent. The Occupational and Physical therapists were knowledgeable and professional. The atmosphere was good. I am thankful for their … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Chesterfield County

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey discloses that nationally, assisted living facilities charge an average monthly rate of $4,300. However, care costs vary widely across the nation, depending on state regulations, local costs of living and a given facility’s location and amenities. Virginia tends to be a costlier state for assisted living, with seniors paying approximately $4,850 per month. Chesterfield County, which has the same average senior care costs as Richmond, is among the cheapest regions in the state for assisted living at $3,645 monthly.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Chesterfield County is the most economical region in Virginia for seniors, with assisted living fees coming in at $3,645 monthly. In Winchester, the second cheapest option in the state, fees are considerably higher at $4,304 monthly. Seniors in the Virginia Beach area pay approximately $4,365 per month for care, and in Roanoke, assisted living facilities charge $4,492. In Lynchburg, monthly care costs exceed the national average at $4,939, and in Charlottesville, costs come in at $5,893. Harrisonburg is the most expensive city in the state for this level of care, with monthly rates averaging $6,286.

$3645

Harrisonburg

$4304

Winchester

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chesterfield County

Eligible seniors over the age of 65 may file an application for financial assistance for assisted living in Chesterfield County and the rest of Virginia via the Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus Medicaid Waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chesterfield County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Chesterfield County

ResourceContact Service
Aging and Disability Services(804) 768-7878The Office of Aging and Disability Services serves county residents aged 50 and over through a variety of free and low-cost programs and services. The Office provides residents with information and referrals to programs and services related to aging and caregiving. It partners with SeniorNavigator to help older adults find local resources for healthy aging, including exercise classes, support groups and health and wellness screenings. It also oversees the Council on Aging, which enhances the lives of older adults in the community through advocacy, outreach and education.
Senior Connections(804) 343-3000Senior Connections is one of the state’s 25 Area Agencies on Aging and is the designated AAA for Chesterfield County and the surrounding region. It administers a wide range of services to older adults, including help with finding and accessing community resources, one-on-one needs assessments, service coordination and health and wellness classes. Its public guardian program advocates on behalf of those who aren’t able to make decisions regarding financial and medical issues, and its long-term care ombudsman provides support and assistance for those in assisted living facilities. The agency also operates Friendship Cafes in neighborhoods throughout the county, providing social and recreational opportunities for older adults.
Virginia Veteran and Family Support(804) 786-0286Virginia Veteran and Family Support serves Central Virginia, including Chesterfield County, and provides an array of services for veterans and their spouses or survivors. The office helps veterans file claims to determine their eligibility for benefits that may help cover assisted living expenses, including the Aid and Attendance benefit, the VA pension and disability compensation. Representatives can help veterans determine what documents they need to apply, as well as whether they’re eligible for veterans’ home placement or health care services through the VA. They also provide linkages to benefits services such as transportation.
Senior Services(804) 748-1000Chesterfield County’s Senior Services Department features a variety of services for older residents. Through this department’s Mobility Services, seniors obtain transportation to medical appointments, errands and social and recreational outings, and it provides a tax relief program for qualified individuals. The Department also operates the 50+ Active Lifestyles Program, which includes excursions to concerts, fitness and instructional classes, games and lifelong learning programs. These programs are hosted at three recreational centers in the county as well as various schools, parks and community centers.
Central Virginia Legal Aid Society(800) 868-1012CVLAS is a nonprofit legal agency that provides full representation for issues such as advance directives, guardianship, powers of attorney and wills. The agency can also help seniors obtain public benefits that may help them cover assisted living, including Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income and Social Security.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chesterfield County

Chesterfield County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chesterfield County