Sunrise at Bon Air

2105 Cranbeck Road, Richmond, VA 23235
Sunrise at Bon Air (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 138 days

Please ask about our special incentives!

Reviews of Sunrise at Bon Air

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise at Bon Air

January 31, 2017

By DeeKayGee

My father has been a resident at Sunrise at Bon Air for almost 10 months and for the most part, we have been very happy. Although he has Alzheimer's, he is pretty independent and able to care for himself for the most part. I have had no major problems with care at Sunrise as other reviewers have indicated ; however, we did have a major incident where I provided the facility with a physician's order to discontinue a medication due to an upcoming surgery and they totally screwed up. Luckily, I had discussed the medication change with my dad and he happened to be aware enough on that day to refuse the medication; Had he not, he would have had major complications in his surgery. The facility is always clean, and they provide nice meals and activities. The staff is friendly and very helpful. It's costly, but I would recommend placing a loved one in this facility.

January 10, 2017

By savannah75

When we first visited Sunrise we thought it was the perfect place. But within one week we saw that things were not at all like we were told. Our loved one was neglected. He rang the bell for assistance and no one came. This happened on multiple occasions, leading to him having accidents of which he never had before. We decided to remove him from this facility. It was the best decision we ever made. They constantly messed with his medications, changing the times they were given, and even giving the wrong dosages. To top that off they pick and choose which doctor orders they fill follow. A doctor order is a doctor order....period. If you have a loved one who is not capable of caring for himself or herself without a lot of assistance, do not send them here. If your loved one can care for herself or himself, you will be fine (but I still would recommend looking elsewhere). But if they need help getting up, going to the bathroom, even getting things in their room. PLEASE don't come here. You will get no care. They talk a good talk on the tour, but it is all talk. Most importantly, if your loved one is under the care of a doctor for serious medical issues dealing with the heart, lungs, or diabetes....DO NOT SEND THEM HERE! We wish we had known sooner about how they really are instead of waiting as long as we did to remove him.

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

October 03, 2016

By Willow75

This is the worst place ever. I have a family member there who has been there for a few months. The staff neglect her for hours. I have come to see her every couple of days and whenever i do she is so wet from urine that her clothes are saturated and so is her furniture, which they attempted to cover up by halfway washing. This is elder abuse! When you complain they pretend to speak to the staff but nothing changes. All they care about is the money. DO NOT PUT YOUR LOVED ONE IN HERE!!!!!

September 13, 2016

By Anita476716

Sunrise at Bon Air is the one that I didn’t like. It just reminded me of an old-fashioned nursing home. The surroundings and all did not impress me. They are in the corner of a pretty busy road, and just walking up to it was very depressing to me. It didn’t really even look to me like a nursing home. It looked more like an apartment complex, and they had three different areas. So if you wanted to see somebody in another part of Sunrise -- and I don’t know if they were connected -- but they were separate buildings; they weren't far apart from one another, but I didn’t like that either.

May 10, 2016

By JamesHFOAR

Sunrise's people were very nice and seemed to be well run. I did not have any issue with it whatsoever. The room was clean, nice, and neat. The food was very good, and the staff was very attentive. They had all kinds of excursions and group meetings. Every day, there were different things to do. I could live there.

April 06, 2016

By Dorothy122698050

My visit with Sunrise at Bon Air was nice and pleasant. They people working there were very informative and very friendly. The rooms were just the right size. They had activities, a salon, and a nice dining area.

July 20, 2015

We visited Sunrise at Bon Air for my mother. I like the fact that they were clean. They seemed to have things to do for the clients. They seemed to be a very home atmosphere and very personable. The staff seemed very friendly.

July 14, 2015

I was impressed with Sunrise at Bon Air. They just didn't quite have enough facility. They don't go any further than assisted living. They were excellent, but my sister was just too sick to be there. The staff seemed very nice. The room that I saw was very nice. I saw the results of some things they had done -- like making hats -- which was very good. It was neat, clean, friendly, and it had a much better atmosphere about it.

March 31, 2015

By Terry48

I visited Sunrise at Bon Air. My mom hasn't moved in there, but we chose this place for her to move into because the staff seemed really caring and they had activities throughout the day. When we were there, they were having a St. Patrick's Day party. About the room my mother picked, it is a studio which faces the courtyard. In the middle of the facility, they have a courtyard with benches and tables. They have other sitting areas. As for the food, the menu looked good. We like the community a lot. We saw so many communities and Sunrise at Bon Air was our favorite. It was more of a homey feeling. Some of the facilities we visited were too big and some of them felt like you're walking in a hotel, this one seemed more homey.

March 11, 2015

My husband was in Sunrise for a while. He went there for respite, and he did have a room on his own. It wasn't really a bad experience, but it didn't compare to his new facility. The memory unit looked to me like it was over capacity. It wasn't large enough in my opinion to have the number of people they have in there. I didn't try eating there, but I would say it was adequate. It wasn't good home cooking style like what he's getting now. I don't like to judge these places because the people were good. I wouldn't recommend for or recommend against it. I would just tell them what my preferences are. We did not have any bad experiences there. It just wasn't as comfortable for him. His room was not convenient to the nurse's station. I don't even know where the nurse's station was in Sunrise, but they never ever mistreat anybody.

February 09, 2015

By Caring101851950

I didn't care for Sunrise at Bon Air. It was a little too small and too crowded for me. The facility was very clean-looking. There wasn't a whole lot of property around it. It is in a very busy part of Richmond. It has a kind of a country-Western thing, which isn't anything I'm interested in. They had quite a few different activities. I thought there should have been more than what they had. The staff was very friendly.

February 09, 2015

We were looking for a short-term engagement for my father-in-law, and Sunrise at Bon Air was adequate. He basically has a studio with a kitchenette and full bath. The staff are nice. They have activities, kind of local culture activities, singing, and games. The location is what impressed me the most, and it's pretty much at par with any of the assisted living facilities you come across.

January 16, 2015

By Tktracy

My mother has been a resident here for 3 years. Before she moved in, we were thrilled - the decor is lovely, the staff seemed attentive. However, the actual care provided is awful. The staff are negligent and hostile. They were argumentative and disrespectful to my mother, scolding her like a little child, lording priviledges and her small requests over her like she was an annoyance, rather than the reason they have a job. When i would visit, the staff were almost always hanging out together, chatting or staring at their phones. My mother lives somewhere else now, but if you are considering this place, please look around a little more.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns. We’d like to learn more about your experience with Sunrise so we may follow up. Please email us at Information@SunriseSeniorLiving.com. Thank you, Sunrise Team.

October 16, 2014

By Patricia82068850

We visited Sunrise. We liked the size of the rooms. It was spacious for a one bedroom space. We liked the staff. They seemed to be adequate. Some of them seemed engrossed with the patients, and a few of them didn't seem that way. We liked the patient's care. There were a lot of activities. They had recreational activities. They do arts and crafts and bingo. However, it felt like a facility to me, and I wouldn't call it homey. It was also a little too expensive for us.

September 23, 2014

By Kurt4

My dad has an age-related dementia, so he is quiet and introverted. We choose to move him to Sunrise of Bon Air because it is a smaller facility. It's layout has two or three smaller suite type set up with about 15 people each who live together in a community setting. They had a smaller dining facility for each suite. Each individual has his own room and they have multiple sizes to select from. The common areas are smaller also. So, it is a little more homey care and a more one-one with the caregivers. Everybody seems to know one another and it has a good feel to it. They work well together. We just have a couple of issues with communications that I am able to discuss with the director and they correct it. They have an internal program where they meet and communicate with the staff regularly. They want to know if you have a problem and they ask that you contact them so that they can correct problems. I sit down with my dad and eat there. I am also able to sit and talk to the residents while they are eating. My dad is vegetarian, but he eats white meat and they have options every day for non-meat eaters. That works out for him. They have a chef that is on staff that prepares the meal. The food is good, tasty and well balance. On summer, they go out on a lake and they have fishing trip. They go bowling. They go out to restaurants and malls. They have church service on Sundays. All of these things are very well attended as far as I know.

July 22, 2014

I liked Sunrise at Bon Air better than the other ones. In the memory care unit where my mother is, they were actually sitting up and doing things. The staff is very nice. They have plenty of people there for every staff member. Every time I go visit her, she is bathed and clean. She seems happy and that is all that matters. The food is decent and healthy. One time I was there, they were doing arts and crafts things. She made me some nice little pretty pictures like my kids used to make me when they were in kindergarten. She has a suite, and her room is fine.

May 29, 2014

By Jennifer34

I really like Sunrise at Bon Air for my grandparents. We love it. It was very bright. The room that we were looking at was perfect for them. Everybody was friendly and couldn't have been nicer. The staff was great. The dining room was very nice. They showed us different menus, and it looked really good. For activities, they had a hair place and exercises.

May 22, 2012

By karenvt

Excellent care for dementia patient. Caring and attentive.

Memory Care Reviews for Sunrise at Bon Air