Richmond is the capital city of the Commonwealth of Virginia and it has a rich history dating back to the Revolutionary War. The city has a population of 230,436, of which 12.8% are seniors. It’s a popular retirement destination for seniors, in part because of the standard of amenities and health care available. The average life expectancy in Richmond is about 79 years, which is slightly longer than the national average and the city is served by an impressive 18 hospitals and 628 pharmacies.

Nursing home care is an important service for seniors who have severe health conditions and for those who are bedridden. It provides round-the-clock skilled nursing care in a comfortable environment. The average cost of nursing home care in Richmond is $9,064 per month, which is more than $1,300 above the national average. Seniors who are generally in good health and merely require help with the activities of daily living may find assisted living or home health care a more affordable option.

This guide considers the cost of nursing home care in Richmond compared to other types of care and also lists some useful services available for older seniors in the city.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Richmond, VA

Lakewood

1900 Lauderdale Drive, Richmond, VA, 23238

Westminster Canterbury Richmond

1600 Westbrook Ave, Richmond, VA, 23227

Parham Health Care & Rehab Cen

2400 E PARHAM ROAD, Richmond, VA, 23228

This place is wonderful. I got more done here in two weeks than I did in a month at the hospital. They really got me go in again. It was a great help having the staff and doctors and therapy by our si … (read more)

Our Lady of Hope

13700 NORTH GAYTON ROAD, Richmond, VA, 23233

I was in need of long term nursing care for my mom in March of 2017. I happened to find an article about Our Lady of Hope and it was a done deal. My initial impression of the facility and staff has … (read more)

Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center

1601 Broadrock Blvd, Richmond, VA, 23224

As a veteran living in the Northern Virginia area, and much research/visits for other facilities, this facility was always our #1 choice. As his Agent Orange related disease progressed, he required 24 … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services – Richmond

2125 HILLIARD ROAD, Richmond, VA, 23228

My mother is in ManorCare. She was there before, and they were just really thorough and took good care of my mom. The nurses were nice and alert with the people.

Manorcare Health Services-imperial

1719 BELLEVUE AVENUE, Richmond, VA, 23227

My mother’s mental health was quickly declining. Her dementia was getting worse. My sister could no longer care for her and we found ManorCare. I went and took a tour of the facility and was impressed … (read more)

St. Joseph’s Home for the Aged

1503 MICHAEL ROAD, Richmond, VA, 23229

Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare

7246 Forest Hill Avenue, Richmond, VA, 23225

My dad is living in Bonview. It’s neat, clean, and smells good. I didn’t realize I was in a nursing home. The layout is easy to navigate. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Envoy of Westover Hills

4403 Forest Hill Avenue, Richmond, VA, 23225

This was several weeks of lgiteral hell. I was very sick. I had lost my eyesight and the use of my legs from being in a medically induced coma because I had contracted a respiratory infection. The st … (read more)

Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center

1901 LIBBIE AVE, Richmond, VA, 23226

My friend recently spent four weeks in this facility, and with the exception of only a few staff members who tried hard to serve her well, she was treated very badly. When she arrived from the hospita … (read more)

Beaufont Health Care Center

200 HIOAKS ROAD, Richmond, VA, 23225

My father was in Beaufont for rehab and it was pretty good. The staff was friendly and our answered questions. The facility was always clean, it did not smell bad, and they made sure the bedroom was c … (read more)

The Laurels of University Park

2420 Pemberton Rd, Richmond, VA, 23233

My mother has been there for about a month. Probably will continue to be there. As far as her OT/PT goes, the staff as helped build her strength up. The nurses keep me informed. Only disappointing thi … (read more)

Westport Health Center

7300 FOREST AVE, Richmond, VA, 23226

I do not recommend Westport to anyone! After less than 48 hours at Westport, my husband was transferred today to another rehab facility. He was at Westport for physical therapy and rehab following su … (read more)

Childrens Hospital

2924 BROOK RD, Richmond, VA, 23220

Lexington Court

1776 CAMBRIDGE DRIVE, Richmond, VA, 23233

Virginia Home

1101 HAMPTON ST, Richmond, VA, 23220

Sheltering Arms Physical Rehabilitation Center

8254 Atlee Rd., Mechanicsville, VA 23116, Mechanicsville, VA, 23116

I had been at Sheltering Arms. They are actually a rehab facility. They’re an inpatient facility for physical rehab, for PT and OT. You can give them across the board, in every single respect, every w … (read more)

Autumn Care

7600 Autumn Park Way, Mechanicsville, VA, 23111

If you want a place that has beautiful land scape this is it. If you are looking for a place that has over worked staff that really doesn’t care about your loved one this is the place to be. A coupl … (read more)

Assisted Living at Lucy Corr Village

6800 LUCY CORR BLVD, Chesterfield, VA, 23832

We chose Assisted Living at Lucy Corr Village because they had private rooms for Medicaid. The staff is very nice and very helpful. They have a lot of community support like different churches that go … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Richmond, VA

The cost of nursing home care in a semi-private room is $9,064 per month. Private rooms cost slightly more, averaging $9,627 a month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Fees for nursing home care vary across the state of Virginia. Richmond is one of the more expensive cities in the state for nursing home care according to the Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey 2020. In the Virginia Beach area, fees are slightly lower than the state average, at $7,665 per month. Heading inland, the cost of nursing home care in Charlottesville is lower still, averaging $7,452 monthly. To the north, in Winchester, nursing home fees are relatively expensive, costing $9,566 per month. To the south in the Blacksburg Area, nursing home fees are in line with the state average.

$9064

$9566

Winchester

Blacksburg

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Richmond can choose from several types of senior care, depending on their financial circumstances and needs. Nursing home care is the most expensive, costing $7,665 per month for a private room. Adult day care is the most affordable, with fees of $1,083 for help with the activities of daily living in a group setting. Assisted living facilities offer similar services plus room and board for $4,000 per month. In-home care is delivered in a senior’s own home for $3,813 for help with chores, meal prep and other activities, or $4,195 for personal assistance and basic medical services.

Nursing Home Care

$4000

Assisted Living Facility

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Richmond, VA

Free Resources for Seniors in Richmond, VA

Family members who think their loved ones may be able to remain at home for a while longer may need to use free or low-cost services to make that happen. Below are some resources that can help families decide which care type is the best for their aging senior and which support services will benefit them.

ResourceContact Service
Alzheimer’s Association Greater Richmond Chapter

(800) 272-3900The Greater Richmond Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association serves seniors in the Greater Richmond area who are living with the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia, as well as those who care for them. It offers information, advocacy and support to anyone who is affected by the condition. Many services are offered free of charge.
Senior Connections(800) 989-2286Senior Connections is Richmond’s Area Agency on Aging. It offers a variety of services for older adults living in Richmond and the surrounding area, including advocacy and support, education and options counseling, helping seniors find the best care services for their needs or giving them the resource they need to age in place. Many services are offered free of charge or on a donation basis.

DARS Office for Aging Services(804) 662-7000DARS is a part of the Office for Aging Services that provides resources for older adults and those with disabilities. It offers services to help seniors maintain their dignity and security as they age, including running caregiver support programs, wellness workshops and fall prevention programs, as well as guardianship services for those who are struggling to manage their finances and care options. Services are open to all those who are older or disabled and living in Virginia.