The historic Virginia city of Charlottesville is known as the gateway to Shenandoah National Park. Charlottesville has a population of 47,266, with around 12.2% of residents aged 65 and over. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room in nursing home care in Charlottesville is relatively low at $7,452; the national average, in comparison, is $7,756. Seniors living in Charlottesville have access to excellent health care services at the University of Virginia Medical Center, which is nationally ranked in two specialties and rated as high-performing in five procedures by U.S. News rankings

Nursing home care provides 24/7 assistance with the tasks of daily living and constant medical monitoring for seniors with chronic conditions. Care is provided by teams of skilled nurses; consequently, this kind of support is the most expensive care option available to seniors in most areas of the country. Seniors living in Charlottesville who don’t require such a high level of care may want to consider other options such as assisted living and home care services

This guide explores the costs of senior care options in Charlottesville and lists resources available.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Charlottesville, VA

Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge

250 Pantops Mountain Road, Charlottesville, VA, 22911

Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge is located in Charlottesville, Virginia, just blocks away from a variety of restaurants and a short drive from Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital. Visitors cons … (read more)

Our Lady of Peace

751 Hillsdale Drive, Charlottesville, VA, 22901

Our Lady of Peace is an assisted living and nursing home facility in Charlottesville, Virginia, located in a bustling neighborhood close to Highway 29. Residents enjoy diverse activities including bin … (read more)

The Laurels of Charlottesville

490 Hillsdale Drive, Charlottesville, VA, 22901

I had a family member admitted on a weekend for PT and OT First they kept her in her hospital gown until we got there late afternoon then we changed her. She had two surgeries prior to coming in a … (read more)

Mary Williams Community Center

341 11th Street Northwest, Charlottesville, VA, 22903

It is a very friendly place, I just wish it were closer to a hospital. I enjoyed my visit to the center and would recommend anyone to check it out. It’s a very cozy place and the seniors are encourage … (read more)

Albemarle Health And Rehabilitation Center

1540 Founders Place, Charlottesville, VA, 22902

My mother was in Albemarle Health & Rehabilitation Center for over a month. The rehab center did not work for my mom. She is 97 years old. When we put her there, we explained to her that she needs … (read more)

Charlottesville Pointe Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

1150 Northwest, Charlottesville, VA, 22901

My father was there for rehab for two months. The facility was not clean. My father was not kept clean. He was not properly cared for. I regret him ever being there.

Charlottesville Health & Rehabilitation Center

505 WEST RIO ROAD, Charlottesville, VA, 22901

I wasn’t totally pleased with Charlottesville Health & Rehabilitation Center because I felt that my husband was released too soon. I was totally against it and I went to appeal. I’m not too happy … (read more)

Colonnades Health Care Center

100 Colonnades Hill Drive, Charlottesville, VA, 22901

Golden Livingcenter – The Cedars

1242 CEDARS CT, Charlottesville, VA, 22903

Nursing Home Costs in Charlottesville, VA

In Charlottesville, the average monthly cost of nursing home care is $7,452 for a semiprivate room and $8,060 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors looking at nursing home care facilities in Charlottesville may be interested in knowing how its cost of care compares to that of other cities. Using the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room as a comparison point, the cost of care in Charlottesville is slightly lower than the national average of $7,756; it’s also lower than the Virginia state average of $7,665.

Elsewhere in the state, Lynchburg’s cost of care ($6,644) is lower than Charlottesville’s. However, the average monthly cost of care is higher in Winchester ($9,566), Richmond ($9,064) and Virginia Beach ($7,665).

$7452

Richmond

$7665

Virginia Beach

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

A variety of alternative care options for seniors also exist in Charlottesville. Adult day care is the cheapest option, with an average monthly cost of $1,733. Assisted living has a monthly average fee of $5,893. Both home care and home health care services have an average monthly fee of $5,148. At the upper end of the cost scale, nursing home care has a monthly average cost of $7,452 for a semiprivate room and $8,060 for a private room.

$1733

Home care

$5148

Home health care

$7452

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8060

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Charlottesville, VA

Free Resources for Seniors in Charlottesville, VA

Government and nonprofit organizations in the area provide a number of no-cost services to Charlottesville’s senior population. These resources may be of assistance to seniors who are looking for services that can help them age safely in place and delay or avoid the move to a nursing home facility.

ResourceContactService
JABA Companion Support Services(434) 817-5253The Jefferson Area Board for Aging offers a companion support service for seniors aged 60 and over to help them retain their independence. Seniors who are eligible for the program are assigned companions to provide them with non-medical assistance. Services can include medication reminders, light housekeeping, meal preparation and shopping.
Meals on Wheels(434) 293-4364The Charlottesville Meals on Wheels delivers meals to homebound seniors and adults who are temporarily or permanently unable to prepare meals on their own due to illness, aging or disability. Meals are delivered by groups of volunteers on a daily basis; blizzard bags filled with non-perishable items are delivered when inclement weather is forecast. The volunteers also provide wellness checks as part of their visitation duties, letting relevant authorities know if anything is amiss. There is a charge for meals, but low-income seniors can apply to JABA to have their meals sponsored.
JABA Insurance Counseling(434) 817-5248The Jefferson Area Board of Aging provides free, unbiased counseling to seniors and their caregivers regarding state health insurance plans. Volunteer counselors can assist seniors in applying for health insurance and check if they’re receiving all the benefits they’re eligible for. In addition, counselors can explain the various financial assistance options available to seniors who require nursing home care and help them apply for options that best suit their needs.