6 Assisted Living Facilities near Elkton, VA
Also serving communities of Stanardsville.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elkton area, with 2 in Elkton and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Elkton is $2,050 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 30 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elkton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elkton 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Boston with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elkton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Elkton, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elkton
Elkton is a town in Rockingham County, Virginia and is part of the Harrisonburg metropolitan area, which is home to an estimated 54,000 residents. Nearly 10% of the area's population is aged 65 and older, and many may require full-time residential care in assisted living facilities. There are two facilities in Elkton they can choose from, as well as another five in surrounding areas.
Assisted living facilities in Virginia provide 24-hour supervision and care to their residents. Residential living care offers a lower level of care to seniors who are capable of evacuating facilities on their own in the event of an emergency. All assisted living in Virginia is monitored and must adhere to the rules that are set forth by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elkton
- Elkton has a reasonably comfortable climate. While winters are slightly colder than in the average city in the United States, the city sees 9 inches less snow than average and has comfortable summers. Seniors living in Elkton can enjoy all four seasons throughout the year and have plenty of opportunities to spend time outdoors.
- Although the overall cost of living in Elkton is 5% below the national average, the cost of healthcare in the city is more than 30% higher than that of the average U.S. city, which may be too expensive for those seniors with limited finances.
- Seniors in Elkton can feel safe knowing that crime rates in the area are lower than in most other cities in Virginia. The property crime rate in Elkton is less than half the state average.
- The Elkton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sentara East Rockingham Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Elkton area has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Valley Program for Aging Services, which facilitates enriching activities and provides referrals to local resources for seniors, as well as one senior center.
- Elkton is served by the Harrisonburg Bus Service, which provides safe transit to residents of Elkton and its surrounding areas. Senior citizens aged 62 and older are offered a reduced fare.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elkton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Elkton start around $2,050 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elkton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elkton
Virginia's Auxiliary Grant offers financial assistance with the cost of assisted living to eligible seniors in Elkton and throughout the state.
Assisted living facilities in the state are limited in what they're allowed to charge for room and board when residents are beneficiaries of the Supplemental Security Income payment.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elkton
Elkton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elkton, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elkton
Elkton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elkton
Review of Journeys Crossing Assisted Living
My mom is at Journeys Crossing Assisted Living. It is affordable, and the care is high-quality. The staff seemed fine and professional. The food seems fine, too. They do have some activities, but I... Read more
Review of Elkton Manor
My sister is happy at the Elkton Manor. At first, we didn't have nowhere to put her, and they took her. She's happy there. They really take good care of her with her condition. She's dying of cance... Read more
Review of Journeys Crossing Assisted Living
I checked Journeys Crossing Assisted Living out, but it was too high and my sister couldn't afford it. I loved it. The staff seemed very interested in taking care of the residents. They were puttin... Read more