6 Assisted Living Facilities near Luray, VA
Also serving communities of Edinburg, Woodstock.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Luray area, with 2 in Luray and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Luray is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Luray. Better rated regions include New Market with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Luray, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Luray, VA
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Luray, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Luray
Luray is noted for its picturesque scenery and opportunities for outdoor activities at local parks and nearby Lake Arrowhead. Nearly 5,000 people call Luray home, and to serve the seniors in the area, there are two assisted living facilities with an additional four in nearby cities.
In Virginia, assisted living facilities are divided into two levels of care, which are residential living care and assisted living care. Assisted living care facilities provide a more in-depth level of care assistance, but both are licensed and regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Luray
- The overall cost of living in the Luray area is around 4% lower than the national average. Health care costs run around 3% higher, but groceries and transportation are 3% and 13%, respectively, lower than the U.S. average which can make up some savings.
- Virginia is a moderately tax-friendly state when it comes to retirees. While most forms of retirement income are taxed, there's a $12,000 deduction, and Social Security income is exempt. Sales and property taxes also fall on the low side compared to the rest of the country.
- Luray has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Shenandoah Area Agency on Aging, an organization that provides certain services to seniors and helps connect them with other community resources as well as one senior center.
- When it comes to violent crime in Luray, the area comes in well below the average rates at both the state and national levels. Luray's violent crime rate is 20% lower than the state average and 56% lower than the national average. Property crime rates, however, are higher than the U.S. and Virginia levels, which could be a concern.
- The Luray area is home to world-class medical facilities, including ValleyHealth Page Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Luray residents will get to experience all four seasons, including warm summers ranging into the mid to high 80s and cold winters with temps often dipping below freezing. This could be a consideration for seniors who are sensitive to extreme heat or cold.
Paying for Assisted Living in Luray
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Luray start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Luray and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Luray
Seniors who need help affording assisted living care may be able to get some aid through the state's Auxiliary Grant program. Those who are already receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are eligible, and the money can be used for room-and-board expenses or personal care and maintenance.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Luray
Luray and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Luray, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Luray
Luray-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.