25 Assisted Living Facilities near New Market, VA
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Market area, with 3 in New Market and 22 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 99 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Market. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Market 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Stanardsville with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Market, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in New Market, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Market
Located in the Shenandoah Valley between the larger towns of Harrisonburg and Woodstock, New Market is a classic small American town surrounded by mountains and greenspace. The population of seniors over the age of 65 in New Market is over 27 percent of the total population and because of this there are 38 assisted living facilities in the area, spanning much of the Shenandoah Valley. All of these facilities are licensed and regulated by Virginia Department of Social Services to ensure they are following state regulations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Market
- Due to its location in the Shenandoah Valley, New Market can have unpredictable weather. It averages 37 inches of rain per year and an average of 24 inches of snow in the winter. Lows in the winter months can reach the low 20s, while highs in the summer peak in the mid-80s.
- New Market has good air quality throughout the year, as there isn’t much urban pollution and the surrounding forests of the Appalachian Mountains keep the air clean. Pollen can sometimes be a bit of issue for those with allergies.
- The cost of living in New Market is just below the state median and slightly above the national average. Seniors should expect to pay slightly higher prices for health care services and miscellaneous goods, but groceries typically cost less than the national average.
- New Market is safer than 82 percent of U.S. cities, making it a good location for seniors with safety concerns. Both property and violent crime rates are lower than state averages, and the city's overall crime rate is 59 percent lower than the national average.
- The Valley Program for Aging Seniors, or VPAS, provides transportation in the New Market area and Shenandoah Valley for seniors who need to go grocery shopping, go to non-emergency medical appointments or go to on other errands, like the bank or pharmacy.
- The New Market area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in the nearby town of Winchester to the north.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Market
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in New Market start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Market and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Market
The Auxiliary Grant, offered through the Virginia Department of Social Services, is helpful for seniors who need financial aide with assisted living. However, they only qualify if they are already receiving Supplemental Social Income (SSI). Once qualified, a payment will be issued monthly to help pay for their assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Market
New Market and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Market, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Market
New Market-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Market
Review of Shenandoah Place
Our Mom was a resident at Shenandoah Place for many years and I can say that it’s a place like no other. The owners, management team and staff are the most loving and compassionate people. Each &am... Read more
Review of Shenandoah Place
My wife is pretty happy in Shenandoah Terrace. The community is new, and my wife likes it. They are helping her with everything like bathing, dressing, toiletries, and food. Read more
Review of Shenandoah Place
Shenandoah Place was wonderful. The leaders of the place, director, and the assistant director were fabulous people and very detailed. The place itself is dynamically nice. The rooms were huge, the... Read more