16 Assisted Living Facilities in Virginia Beach, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Virginia Beach is $3,559 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346. Cheaper nearby regions include Hampton with an average starting cost of $2,544.
To help you with your search, browse the 151 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Virginia Beach. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Virginia Beach 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Suffolk with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 12 families in Virginia Beach find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Virginia Beach, call (855) 863-8283.
Other Options in Virginia Beach, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Virginia Beach
Review of Bay Lake Retirement and Assisted Living Community
I am living at Bay Lake and it's gorgeous. They're understaffed, but they're wonderful people. They have all kinds of field trips out to lunch, to visit museums, and traveling to different location... Read more
Review of The Crossings at Independence
The Crossings at Independence understands the business they're in. It's a very attractive property. There's plenty of parking and chairs to sit on if you needed to outside the front door and by all... Read more
Review of Atria Virginia Beach
The people at Atria Virginia Beach were very polite and nice to me. The parking situation was very bad, though. They had physical therapy there. The staff was very friendly, well-dressed, and used ... Read more
Assisted Living near Virginia Beach City, VA
More Options Near Virginia Beach, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Virginia Beach
There's plenty to see and do for residents of Virginia Beach, Virginia, including the 46,435 seniors who call the area home. With over 200 parks, a magnificent boardwalk, a sprawling beach, and a spectacular aquarium, it's the ideal location for seniors who enjoy being outdoors. There is also The Senior Source, a local television show that goes over the many programs and services available to seniors in the area.
For seniors who can no longer complete daily activities independently, there are 16 assisted living facilities in the city. Assisted living facilities in Virginia Beach and the rest of Virginia are licensed through the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach's cost of living is 115.6, 15 points higher than the national average of 100, which may be of concern to seniors with tight budgets.
- Virginia Beach's Hampton Roads Transit is a comprehensive public transportation system that has routes throughout the city. Seniors are offered reduced fare rates, and the company offers paratransit services to qualified individuals.
- Virginia partially taxes pensions and fully taxes retirement savings account income and social security benefits. Seniors who rely on benefits might find that living in Virginia Beach leaves them with less money for activities, care and transportation.
- The Virginia Beach area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital and Sentara Heart Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Virginia Beach has a violent crime rate of 10.2 and a property crime rate of 33.2, both lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. Seniors' families might feel assured that Virginia Beach is a safe place for seniors.
- Despite being famous for sunny beaches, Virginia Beach gets the full range of all four seasons. Summer highs reach 88 degrees, and winter lows drop down to 32. The area gets 47 inches of rain each year, and seven inches of snow annually. Families might want to ensure that facility rooms have air conditioning to keep seniors cool during sweltering conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Virginia Beach
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Virginia Beach start around $3,559 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Virginia Beach and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach seniors can seek financial assistance for services through the Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus Medicaid Waiver. The state of Virginia also offers a program unrelated to Medicaid called the Auxiliary Grant.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Virginia Beach, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.