5 Assisted Living Facilities near Gloucester, VA
Also serving communities of Dutton, Irvington, Kilmarnock.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Gloucester area, with 2 in Gloucester and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Gloucester is $4,984 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,635.
To help you with your search, browse the 23 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gloucester. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Gloucester 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Yorktown with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gloucester, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Gloucester, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gloucester
Gloucester, Virginia, is a small town near the banks of the York River, not far from Yorktown, which is known for its role in the conclusion of the Civil War. Gloucester has a population of 9,402 residents, 19.7% of whom are seniors. These seniors are served by the area's five assisted living facilities. In Gloucester, as in the rest of the state, these facilities are regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gloucester
- The Gloucester area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Gloucester seniors can take advantage of Virginia's retirement-friendly tax initiatives. The state only partially-taxes private and public pensions as well as withdrawals from retirement accounts. Virginia doesn't tax Social Security at all. As an additional incentive, Virginia does not levy estate or inheritance tax.
- The crime rate in Gloucester is low. Violent crime is more than 10% lower than the national average with a rating of 12.3 out of 100, while property crime falls nearly 2% below with a rating of 33.7 out of 100. Seniors can talk to their care providers about additional ways to stay safe.
- Gloucester gets very little snow throughout the year, with just 4 inches on average. The town also has an average of 10 more sunny days per year than the rest of the country. This combination makes the town a good choice for seniors who want to avoid harsh winter weather.
- Seniors on a budget should expect to pay more on average to live in Gloucester than elsewhere in the country. The cost of living is 10% higher than the rest of the United States, with health care, housing and transportation costing seniors the most.
- Gloucester has historic attractions for seniors to tour, such as the Rosewell Ruins, as well as antique shops and a museum of history.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gloucester
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Gloucester start around $4,984 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gloucester and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gloucester
Gloucester seniors on a budget can look into the Auxiliary Grant, a monthly stipend that helps eligible seniors pay for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gloucester
Gloucester and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gloucester, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gloucester
Gloucester-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Gloucester, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Gloucester
Review of Sanders Senior Living Community
We are all adjusted at Sanders Senior Living Community. My parents have been there since April, and we're very happy with it. It's an amazing facility. It's been fantastic. The staff has been amazi... Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Gloucester House
Commonwealth Senior Living is very nice. There seemed to be a lot of activities. The rooms are normal with a small kitchen area. The staff treated me very well. I was invited for lunch, and the foo... Read more
Review of Sanders Senior Living Community
I visited Sanders Senior Living Community. They have been around the longest, trying hard, and mostly succeeding. The rooms were larger, the staff was very helpful, and they went out of their way t... Read more