Centrally located between Suffolk and Virginia Beach, Chesapeake puts seniors only minutes away from some of the best medical facilities in the state. The largest hospital serving the city is Chesapeake Regional Medical Center, which was rated as “High Performing” in six conditions by U.S. News and World Report. Older adults can also get specialized senior care at the nearby Glennan Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology of Eastern Virginia Medical School. At an average monthly cost of $7,665, nursing home care in this city is slightly cheaper than the national rate. This can add up to big savings for residents of Chesapeake,13% of whom are seniors aged 65 and above.

Seniors who need extensive personal care, around-the-clock supervision and certain medical services may benefit from living in a nursing home environment. For those who don’t require this level of assistance, in-home care or assisted living could be a better fit.

In this guide, seniors will learn about the cost of Chesapeake nursing home care compared to nearby cities, prices for other types of care and resources for older adults in the area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Chesapeake, VA

Sentara Nursing Center Chesapeake

776 Oak Grove Road, P.O. Box 1277, Chesapeake, VA, 23320

My mom is in long-term care at Sentara Chesapeake (Sentara Nsg Cntr Chesapeake). It’s very clean, smells great, they provide very good care, and good food. I’m very pleased. They have a dementia/memor … (read more)

Chesapeake Health and Rehabilitation Center

688 Kingsborough Square, Chesapeake, VA, 23320

This is possibly the worst place to ever place your loved one. Negligible, rude, and the most uncaring, unprofessional facility ever. My father-in-law was ignored, the catheter was unemptied even tho … (read more)

Autumn Care of Chesapeake

715 Argyll Ss, Chesapeake, VA, 23320

Autumn Care is a beautiful place and very clean, and I like it, but they didn’t have any rooms available for my mother. My father stayed there in 2012. The workers there were very nice, and I thought … (read more)

Carrington Place of Chesapeake

1017 George Washington Highway, Chesapeake, VA, 23323

This facility has come a long way! I visited recently and the physical environment looks great and I could tell they were making some positive changes. Hopefully they continue to move in the right di … (read more)

2013

Our Lady of Perpetual Help

4560 Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach, VA, 23462

Our Lady of Perpetual Help is located about midway between Virginia Beach and Norfolk off of Route 264. There is a Catholic Church on the grounds and separate facilities for advanced memory care and a … (read more)

Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center

1004 Independence Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA, 23455

My stay was from Dec. 15, 2021-Jan.15, 2022. My goals were to be in a skilled facility for a fractured arm and MS to receive OT/PT treatment. The goals were met. The rooms need to be renovated/refurbi … (read more)

Harbor’s Edge Retirement Community

One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA, 23510

Harbor’s Edge Retirement Community is nestled between Riverside Park and the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, Virginia. Residents and visitors say that Harbor’s Edge is in an exceptional location, providin … (read more)

Thalia Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing

4142 Bonney Road, Virginia Beach, VA, 23452

Similar to others I’ve visited. I used the Wii and it helped rehab be fun. I would recommend the facility to someone needing a short rehab stay.

Kempsville Health and Rehabilitation Center

5520 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, VA, 23464

My father had a short rehab stay at Kempsville Health and Rehabilitation Center. It looked pretty clean. The staff was friendly, answered our questions well, and were attentive. They were good people … (read more)

Sentara Nursing Center VA Beach

3750 Sentara Way, Virginia Beach, VA, 23452

Sentara Nursing Center provides sufficient care to their residents. The overall care has been okay and the overall cleanliness is good. But my relative only had his physical therapy only in his room. … (read more)

Beth Sholom Home of Eastern Virginia

6401 Auburn Drive, Virginia Beach, VA, 23464

My father moved into Beth Sholom Home of Eastern Virginia. It was a good placement for my dad based on the five facilities that I looked at. My dad has been taken care of. He’s doing pretty good and i … (read more)

Autumn Care of Portsmouth

3610 WINCHESTER DR, Portsmouth, VA, 23707

I stayed at Autumn Care of Portsmouth. It’s a rehab that’s also part of a community with people who live there. The people who worked with me were great. My experience with them was all right; it was … (read more)

Autumn Care of Norfolk

1401 HALSTEAD AVENUE, Norfolk, VA, 23502

I was in Autumn Care of Norfolk. I started on the rehab and went to the nursing care part. The therapy was pretty good, everything about that place except therapy I hated. There were two people in a r … (read more)

Norview Heights Rehabilitation and Nursing

5580 Daniel Smith Road, Virginia Beach, VA, 23462

I looked at Heritage Hall Virginia Beach. It is a large place, but I like the smallness of the other community. The rooms were fine. They had both semi-private and private rooms that were a nice size. … (read more)

Consulate Health Care Of Norfolk

3900 Llewellyn Ave, Norfolk, VA, 23504

This facility is horrible!! Recently visited the facility, my dog has better boarding than the residents at this facility. The staff is very rude and unprofessional. The director of nursing is a dis … (read more)

Cypress Point Rehabilitation and Nursing

827 NORVIEW AVENUE, Norfolk, VA, 23509

Situated in an easily accessible location in Norfolk, Virginia, Envoy of Thornton Hall is an assisted living center that provides assisted living and nursing care to residents. The staff is made up of … (read more)

Princess Anne Health & Rehabilitation Center

1948 Landstown Centre Way, Virginia Beach, VA, 23456

The staff were so friendly but You have to press the bell and wait a long time for someone to help you. The last time I called it took 1/2 hour and my neuropathy foot was dying in the commode. Anythin … (read more)

Signature HealthCARE of Norfolk

1005 Hampton Boulevard, Norfolk, VA, 23507

This is a Horrible Nursing home. The only positive thing I can say is the Therapy department in good. The Nurses are terrible. Total lack of care and compassion for the people who have to live there. … (read more)

Lake Taylor Hosp

1309 KEMPSVILLE RD, Norfolk, VA, 23502

This place concerns me. The nurses are very unpleasant and unprofessional. They are very rude when calling to schedule a visit and they approach you like you are visiting a prisoner as if they don’t … (read more)

Sentara Nursing Center Norfolk

249 SOUTH NEWTOWN RD, Norfolk, VA, 23502

I have seen many Nursing homes across the nation and I am a bit confused concerning the previous reviews of this facility . It is by far the cleanest I have seen and it doesn’t smell of urine like t … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Chesapeake, VA

In Chesapeake, retirees pay an average of $7,665 per month for a semiprivate nursing home room and $8,699 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Nursing home costs in Chesapeake are on par with Virginia’s statewide average of $7,665. Prices are about $100 cheaper than the national average, which is $7,756.

Prices can vary widely in other parts of Virginia. To the west in the state capital of Richmond, rates go up to $9,064 — almost $1,400 more than what retirees in Chesapeake pay. Moving to Central Virginia, prices in Charlottesville are somewhat more affordable. Nursing home care costs $7,452 in this city, or about $200 less than Chesapeake rates. Roanoke prices are also a bit cheaper at $7,513. Winchester’s prices are among the highest in Virginia, averaging $9,566.

Chesapeake

Roanoke

$9566

Winchester

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Retirees in Chesapeake have other options for their long-term care. Seniors who want to get care at home will pay an average of $3,813. Home health care prices are the same, even though it also provides light various medical services. Adult day health care is the most affordable, costing only $1,950. Assisted living provides less stringent supervision than nursing home care and is priced accordingly at $4,365. A semiprivate nursing home room costs $7,665. For a fully private room, seniors pay $8,699.

$3813

Adult day care

$4365

Assisted living

$7665

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8699

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Chesapeake was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Virginia Beach, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Chesapeake, VA

Free Resources for Seniors in Chesapeake, VA

The following agencies and organizations provide a range of free services for seniors in the Chesapeake area. These resources can help residents choose a long-term care option, get help at home, find ways to pay for care and more.

Resource

Contact

Service

SSSEVA functions as the Area Agency on Aging for residents in Chesapeake. Its counselors are available to help seniors make decisions about Medicare plans, long-term care planning and other issues that affect people as they age. Seniors can join one of its free evidence-based classes on topics such as balance improvement or management of chronic conditions.

This program provides home-delivered meals to Chesapeake residents who can't grocery shop or prepare food for themselves. The meals are nutritionally balanced, diabetes-friendly and heart-healthy. Seniors who meet income eligibility requirements can receive their meals for free.

SSSEVA offers several programs aimed at helping seniors stay in their own homes. Chesapeake residents can get assistance with housekeeping, meal preparation and personal care needs, such as grooming and getting dressed. Other programs may provide social visits, limited medical services and free air conditioner units for low-income retirees.

I-Ride provides discounted fixed-route bus service, trips to senior centers and medical transportation for seniors across Southeastern Virginia. For medical rides, seniors can be picked up and dropped off at their homes. The service is open to residents who are disabled or aged 60 and up.

EHARP gives low-income seniors funding to make emergency home repairs and accessibility modifications. Funds can be used to pay for wheelchair ramps and repairs to plumbing, roofing, electrical systems and structural defects. The program is open to both homeowners and tenants (with homeowner approval).