Brookdale Farmington Hills

Reviews of Brookdale Farmington Hills

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Farmington Hills

June 09, 2018

By Theresa

My mom lives in Brookdale Farmington Hills now. We were looking for something reasonable and found it there. The services seem to be better than I expected. Brookdale Farmington Hills is an independent place that offers assistance as time progresses and as my mom needs it. Everything is one story. They have screened-in porches and doorwalls leading out of the living room, so it is more like a home. Everybody can go outside. The staff is very receptive to all my questions. The cooking and the food are outstanding. My mom has no complaints, and trust me, she would! She needs food to be delivered so she doesn't have to go to the dining room, and they have accommodated that. My mom gets to order different things and have extra items. It is outstanding and much better than I thought it would be.

September 07, 2017

By Kathleen

Brookdale Farmington Hills was a warm and nice environment. They were very welcoming. We also liked the size of the rooms. We liked that Brookdale told us that everyone there has needs and that they can work with us. It was much more of a friendly reception. Mom really liked the way the rooms were set up and that she could have a little screened-in porch attached to her room. It was an older place but I didn’t notice anything bad. They had organized trips every day which was interesting to my mother. They also had game nights and she's excited with that. They had a community room where you could get coffee and just sit there with guests. The manager met me late in the day and she was happy to stay late to talk to me. She was very nice to assist me and explain things to me in her office. The front desk person was very nice, too.

June 06, 2017

By christine263553

I was familiar with Brookdale when it was called something else. I liked their setup; it was also very nice. What I like is the fact that they have a screened in porch at the back and just that little area made it homey. I also liked that it was basically on one level, and there was access to green space. What impressed me about them was their policy that if they did not hear from you by 10:00 AM, they did a wellness check. The other places might do that, but I was impressed with that. I am all about the little screened in porch at the back because that was just a really nice part of space.

August 16, 2016

By Inge123210

Brookdale Farmington Hills is awful and old. They have remodelled the place a bit, but still it’s very old. The rooms are average, not really big. It looked small because of the wallpaper and dark cabinets. The ceilings are low, which it made it more dark. I would not go there.

May 10, 2016

By Sherry122252450

Brookdale Farmington Hills was absolutely beautiful and gorgeous in any way, shape, or form. The problem was their price. The rooms were very nice and a small cottage or hotel-type place, nice and bright, with a nice living room common area. The staff was wonderful, knowledgeable, and had been there for a long, long time. They had a beautiful, enclosed courtyard. The food smelled very good while people were eating. It was very nice. They have outing, play cards and do craft activities. They also have music therapy.

March 29, 2016

By Phil44

This is a very nice facility w/a very nice staff. However please note; they will charge *60 days of rent when you move out. This seems quite excessive, particularly given the typical circumstances. Keep in mind, this is a senior residence; all of the residents are elderly. Why do they leave? They most often leave suddenly. And they leave either because of death, deteriorating health that requires a move to somewhere w/higher levels of care, or they've run out of money. And this usually goes hand in hand with increased financial burdens. (Now it's acknowledged that in the "apartment" industry one generally has to give some sort of advance notice, usually 30 days. Sixty seems very excessive even in non-senior housing.) To charge 60 days to residents when they have to leave under the typical difficult circumstances one encounters w/seniors seems predatory on Brookdale Corporation's part. Bottom line: the staff and mgmt at Grand Court are very nice and quite capable and offer good value for the money. But the 60 day "exit fee" - likely mandated by Corporate - leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. (To be fair, I do not know if this is typical of other similar senior residences; though even if it is that doesn't make it right.) Yes, the contract specifies the 60 days when you move in, so it's "not a surprise". ...but when you're actually faced w/it it still seems predatory.

December 10, 2015

By Caring relative1

The staff at Brookdale Farmington Hills was nice. I don't have any complaints at all. We were able to try the food, which was healthy and very good. They were playing games and reading for a book club.

October 29, 2015

By Lisa99400950

I chose Brookdale Farmington Hills because my dad had his own apartment, not just a room. I looked at other communities where he would only have a room, and everything else was shared. He was able to bring all of his furniture from his prior residence, which made it feel more like home. I think that the staff is wonderful; they take good care of him. He doesn’t get involved in any activities because he has always been a loner, so he pretty much keeps to himself. I’ve arranged for them to come and get him for all of his meals, and I haven't heard any complaints about the food. Trust me: if he didn’t like it, he’d let me know. The dining area is nice. I just have one problem with it: residents have assigned times, so everybody has to be down at their assigned time, but then end up standing around and waiting for their names to be called.

May 28, 2015

By Ionia

I would recommend it here. It's a very nice facility. They had their own little enclosed porch. They were very good to my mother. She had two dogs, and they allowed her to keep both with her, which became therapy dogs for everybody. The staff was wonderful. The food was really good. It was clean.

April 13, 2015

I liked it, but I am not ready to move yet. I thought it was a very nice place, and if I were ready to move I would go there and have lunch and try that out, walk through it again, and maybe spend some time talking to the people to see if they were my sort. And then, I thought it was a nice atmosphere.

March 27, 2015

It was very nice and larger than I thought it would be. It was very clean, and people were very nice to us. They go out a lot of places; they go to banks and stores. The dining area was very nice like a restaurant. It is close to where my mom lives right now; that’s why we liked it.

February 25, 2015

By Debbie102952250

It was a nice place, but because it was geared more towards people that were older and had medical problems, it wasn't for me because I don't need a lot of care right now. However, it was perfect if I needed a place for someone who needed medical care. The people were very nice and very friendly. The rooms were very nice, and I really liked the rooms. They had activities like bingo and lots of different card games.

January 21, 2015

By Philip9

I moved my mom in. It is roomy, it has a separate bedroom, a small kitchenette, and also a screened in porch in the back. I don't have a problem with the staff -- I have met them all. I met the director and his assistant, and the girls come down and take my mother to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food is good. They have bus trips, but my mom is not really eager to go. They got a library and movies on Sunday, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. I like the roominess of it. This is all a one-level facility with 160 rooms.

December 16, 2014

By Susan96578950

I visited. The gentleman there was very nice. He went out of his way to help us, and he showed us everything, but we couldn't afford it. However, everything was clean. The people were helpful. We looked at a two-bedroom unit, and it wasn't roomy enough, but it was nice, freshly painted, and clean.

October 15, 2014

It was nice outside. The staff was nice. I thought the place was secured because they had some sort of security code for you to go in and out. We tried the food, and it was very good. However, we were not able to see the room because there was no empty room available for us to look at. They could improve on having more rooms.

September 23, 2014

By Cory3

We chose it because we liked it, and they took dad. The staff was very, very helpful and that helped make our decision. They offer diffferent things there; he has therapy that is right in-house, and they have the additional care that they assist with whatever he needs. His apartment is very nice. I know they have quite a few activities. I know he has done some arts and crafts. They've had people come in that sing and he has enjoyed that as well.

August 26, 2014

By Robert89984050

The thing that we liked was that it was competitively ranked. Most importantly, it had much more space than other places in the area. It has a front room, a bedroom, and a bath -- kind of like a small apartment. That was an easier transition; some of the places we looked at are just studios that were just a bit too small. So the configuration of the room was a major factor. It looked like it was in good condition and well kept. The staff was friendly, too. I wasn’t able to eat there during the visit but afterwards, one of the staff brought over some food as a courtesy to my dad’s current home so he could try it there. So that was added customer service. I think he was satisfied with it.

June 30, 2014

I like it. It looks like it's cared for; it's clean and bright. The room that they showed me was nice, clean, and spacious. I like the brightness of the place. I think the staff knows what they're talking about.

February 14, 2014

By Josephine3

It was very nice, it was on one floor so it had no stairs to climb. I liked the friendliness. The rooms were of nice size and I did see one room which was very nice. The staff did a wonderful job.

January 31, 2014

It is just a small facility, but it's nice and it looked clean. The rooms were small. Their staff were friendly.

December 02, 2013

By June206

I liked what they offered, their location, and the price. My dad's room is nice and the staff is nice. The grounds are well-kept. It's a nice place.

November 20, 2013

By Brenda25

The accommodations were really awesome. They even have a screened off porch you can go to in the summertime. I didn?t stay for lunch but everything seemed to be nice. They showed me the apartment that they offered and I loved it.

October 11, 2012

By Mauzee

The facilities are clean, orderly and generally well-maintained. It's apparant that the staff do what they can to make the environment comfortable and enjoyable for every one of the residents. The residents, of course, vary in their needs in terms of care and involvement, but each time I visit, I note that those who seem to really require assistance are provided with it, and those who are able to function primarily without assistance are afforded a comfortable level of independence. The living arrangements are simple, but nice. The personal space is adequate for one person, but I cannot imagine trying to fit the lives of two adults in one of the apartments. The apartments are equipped with basic kitchens, though the dining hall serves meals regularly enough to where my grandmother rarely feels the need to cook. It seems as though residents have all that they need, and much of what they would want. I often have to coordinate my visits so as not to interfere with my grandmother's social activities around the facility, including bingo, movies, musical performances and entertainment of any variety. The facility also provides some limited transportation to and from local businesses if or when residents want to buy groceries, clothes or anything else available in a few local shopping centers. Planned trips to concerts or other entertainment events are also not uncommon, and while I'm not certain if involvement in those trips is included in the monthly rates, it seems as though my grandmother enjoys them enough to keep going. All in all, I'm happy to know that she enjoys her new living arrangements and that a moderate decrease in independence was at least mostly offset by socialization and activity, and that there was thus no appreciable decrease in her quality of life during what may be her most precious years.

June 04, 2012

By caring5311

They have the cheapest rates for what they offered out of all the facilities we've looked at. The amount of money, what we needed, it seemed to be the best value. It seemed to be a nice facility. The staff was very helpful and nice. They had a lot of activities there and they also had a rehab center on the site. They had a pleasant dining area and mom's room is spacious and bright. I know that the outside fire doors at the end of the hallways though are very hard to open for the older person, so I hope they can fix that. I am assured of leaving my mom in their care. I liked the place overall.

May 11, 2012

I've only been a week here and I'm still learning myself. I particularly like the porch. Everyone has a porch. It has a full kitchen it's more or less like a small house, and the bathroom is nice. I think that this facility is good or I would have not moved here. I'm still adjusting but the staff is nice.

November 26, 2011

By Social Worker # 1

I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who is looking for a placement for a friend or family member. While there, I noticed that the residents were socializing and eating their dinner and the food looked excellent and the residents conveyed to me that the food also taste excellent as well. The California style looking motel looks like a great but unique vacations resort getaway. The residents resort style living looks like they are on their vacation instead of living there. It is so very unique but comfortable looking. Grand Court of Farmington Hills offer exceptional Services amenities and opportunities for their residents. They also offer their residents a Spiritual Based community as well in their facility. The facility is clean and does not smell. The surrounding suburban neighborhoods' are very beautiful and well landscaped, maintained and structured and is such a quiet and beautiful living area. The management and staff there are very nice and professional, team, task oriented in their job duties and their performances. They also offer their residents special events and group activities. It has a very contemporary style décor and it is very well coordinated to match as well. The residents like it there and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone that is looking for placement for a friend or a family member. It is like living in a fabulous hotel in Phoenix Arizona it looks like summer all year round with its unique structure. The staff treats the residents like family and the residents there like it there. In general, I would rank this facility on a five stars rating for its expertise and excellence. I know that the residents there receive excellent care there and they are very happy there also.

Questions about Brookdale Farmington Hills

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale Farmington Hills. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Brookdale Farmington Hills offers a home like community for individuals 62 and up. Favorite activities include going on outings on the bus, daily programs available on-site and enjoying meals with friends.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

The Farmington Hills Costick center is nearby and offers many classes including water aerobics and art. There is a golf course nearby and the community is close to downtown Farmington Hills.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale Farmington Hills has organized?

Monthly trips to the casino are offered as well as resident suggested lunch outings visiting Pewabic Pottery.

What transportation services does Brookdale Farmington Hills offer to independent living residents?

Our amazing driver Bruce provides transportation on our bus to physician appointments on Tuesdays and shopping trips Wednesdays through Fridays.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Farmington Hills exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Rachel is our exceptional Dining Service Coordinator! She meets with residents weekly to help shape the menu for the upcoming week. Rachel audits the menu, temperature, service and presentation monthly to make sure that the meal service is continually exceeding the expectations of our residents. Rachel also holds a weekly resident menu club which allows the residents to give input on the meal delivery process and construction of the menu.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Common areas include a library with a computer station, game room with a pool table, worship area, activity room for cooking classes and crafts and outdoor patio with bonfire.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Farmington Hills offer to independent living residents?

Each morning, our concierge calls every resident to complete a wellness check. If a resident doesn't answer, a staff member will visit their apartment. If a resident isn't feeling well, our Resident Services Coordinator, Jenny, is alerted and a care plan is created. Emergency pull cords are located throughout each apartment.

If Brookdale Farmington Hills accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale Farmington Hills is pet friendly! Our screened in patios are great for letting your cat get some fresh are or accessing the outdoors with your pup. We have mature trees and grass around the entire community giving you plenty of enjoyable space to walk your dog.

Does Brookdale Farmington Hills work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Brookdale offers personal with the on-site company – Balanced Home Care. We also offer Skilled services like RN, PT, OT with Brookdale Home Health and Hospice.

Photos of Brookdale Farmington Hills

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Farmington Hills

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• General Store
  • Features Extra: Library, Fitness Room/Gym, 24 Hour Emergency Response, Staffing Around The Clock

• Home Sale Assistance

About Brookdale Farmington Hills

Brookdale Farmington Hills provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Our Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike.Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Farmington Hills