5 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia, TN
Also serving communities of Lewisburg.
The average cost of assisted living in Columbia is $3,730 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Spring Hill with an average starting cost of $3,006.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbia 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Spring Hill with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbia, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia, TN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbia
Columbia is a city steeped in history, with so many pre-Civil War homes it helped Maury County become the “antebellum homes capital of Tennessee”. Columbia has a population of 38,266, 15.4 percent of which is comprised of people 65 years of age and older. For those seniors searching for long-term residential care nearby, Columbia has eight assisted living facilities within the city proper and another three located in the surrounding area. The state of Tennessee refers to those communities as assisted care living facilities (ACLF), and they’re licensed and regulated by the Tennessee Department of Health’s Board for Licensing Health Care Facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbia
- Winters in Columbia are relatively mild, with very little snow and January lows hovering around 27 degrees Fahrenheit, but seniors who dislike heat and humidity may not appreciate summer highs of 89 degrees Fahrenheit and rainfall well above the national average.
- Housing, groceries, utilities, transportation, health and miscellaneous expenses are all more affordable in Columbia versus the rest of the nation on average, making this city a solid choice for seniors on a budget.
- Seniors particularly concerned with safety may find issue with Columbia’s crime rate. Whereas the national average for violent crime is 31.1 out of 100, the rate for violent crime in Columbia is 67.8. Property crime is also high, with a local rank of 51.1 compared to the U.S. average of 38.1.
- There is a vibrant arts and culture scene in Columbia. The Columbia Arts Council arrange and promotes events for professionals an amateurs alike, and there’s an entire arts district dedicated to showcasing music, visual art, design and other creative endeavors.
- Columbia has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Maury County Senior Center, which offers meals, activities, special events, health screenings and Medicare counseling.
- The Columbia area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Maury Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Tennessee
Assisted Living costs in Columbia start around $3,730 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbia
Options for state-sponsored assistance to help pay for long-term residential care is limited in Tennessee, but for seniors who are hoping to avoid nursing home placement, there is one initiative that stands out: the CHOICES program. CHOICES is designed to help low-income seniors avoid nursing homes in favor of Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) more suited to their physical needs and personal preferences. Approval is need-based and tied to Medicaid approval.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbia
Columbia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbia, please visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbia
Columbia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Tennessee are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Columbia, TN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbia
Review of Poplar Estates Senior Living Community
My aunt will move into Poplar Estates after Christmas. We chose this facility because they do the aging in place and when you spend half of your own money, they can switch to Medicare. They also ha... Read more
Review of Brookdale Columbia
My tour at Brookdale Columbia was fine and the people were very pleasant. It's just too far away from my house. The apartment I was shown was also nice. And the staff that I've interacted with was ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Columbia
If ever my father has to go to assisted living, Brookdale Columbia is at the top of the list. We like it, he likes it, and everything about it (at least that we saw) was good. People that we know w... Read more