24 Assisted Living Facilities near Cranston, RI
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Cranston area, with 2 in Cranston and 22 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 123 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Cranston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Cranston 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cranston, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Cranston, RI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cranston
Cranston, Rhode Island's third largest city, has also been rated one of the state's best places to retire. Residents age 55 or older make up more than a quarter of the city's population. For those seniors considering moving into an assisted living facility, the Cranston area is home to 41 different choices, two in Cranston's city limits and 39 more in nearby cities such as Warwick and Providence. Formally known in Rhode Island as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs), these facilities are licensed by the Department of Health, Office of Residences Regulation. ALRs are defined by the state as facilities for two or more adults that offer room, board, personal assistance and medication administration. They don't provide a nursing home level of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cranston
- Cranston's climate features warm, humid summers with an average high temperature of 82 degrees and cold winters with lows around 20 degrees.
- Cranston's cost of living is 15.6 percent higher than the U.S. average. Seniors living in assisted living residences in the city can expect to pay more than the national average for groceries and healthcare, 9.3 and 13 percent, respectively.
- Unfortunately, Rhode Island doesn't provide any tax breaks for seniors. All types of retirement income, including pensions and Social Security, are taxable by the state.
- Cranston gets high marks for safety, with an overall crime rate 29 percent, lower than the U.S. average, so seniors on day trips can feel more safe and secure.
- The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority, or RIPTA, provides public transportation, mainly by bus. Persons 65 years of age or older with low incomes may be eligible for assistance through RIPTA’s Reduced Fare Bus Pass Program for Low-Income Seniors and People with Disabilities. All seniors, regardless of income, can travel at a reduced rate during off-peak hours.
- The Cranston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rhode Island Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cranston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Rhode Island
Assisted Living costs in Cranston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cranston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cranston
The Department of Human Services provides a Medicaid 1115 demonstration waiver program for eligible seniors called the Rhode Island Comprehensive Demonstration that covers assisted living costs. The state also has an Optional State Supplement (OSS) for Supplemental Security Income recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cranston
Cranston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cranston, please visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cranston
Cranston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Rhode Island are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Cranston, RI
Other Options in Cranston, RI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Cranston
Review of Scandinavian Home Inc
We chose Scandinavian Communities Assisted Living for my parents because it was a combination of assisted living and nursing. Our experience with them so far has been really good. They've taken exc... Read more