11 Assisted Living Facilities near Amityville, NY
Also serving communities of Massapequa.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Amityville area, with 1 in Amityville and 10 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Amityville is $5,803 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 152 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Amityville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Amityville 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Babylon with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Amityville, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Amityville, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Amityville
The village of Amityville is located within the town of Babylon, New York, on Long Island. It was once a haven for rich and famous artists as a getaway from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but is now a relatively quiet, beach side Long Island community that is ideal for senior residents. Nearly 20 percent of the population is 65 years and older, and there are 22 assisted living facilities in the Amityville area for seniors to choose from, with the New York Department of Health licensing, certifying and regulating each.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Amityville
- Like much of New York, Amityville has four defined seasons, with winters that dip down into the 20s on average and summers that peak in the 80s. Much of the weather is influenced by the village's proximity to the ocean.
- The seaside location of Amityville is also beneficial for air quality, though that is offset by the surrounding sprawl of Long Island and pollution that comes from the greater New York City metroplex. Overall, the air quality is considered fair throughout the year.
- Because of its location on Long Island and close proximity to New York City, the cost of living in Amityville is higher than both the state and national averages. However, much of this is due to higher housing costs and utilities; essentials like groceries, healthcare and transportation are a more in line with national averages.
- As it’s a small community on Long Island that already has relatively low crime rates, Amityville is a very safe place to live. It’s overall crime rate is about half of the national average and much of this is due to property crime. There is some crime that is due to it’s close proximity to the larger metropolitan area of New York.
- The town of Babylon, New York which Amityville is located within, provides a number of senior services for the Amityville community, namely transportation to medical appointments in the area, trips to the grocery store and errands to city offices, like the social security office. Appointments must be made one week in advance.
- The Amityville area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in nearby Mineola.
Paying for Assisted Living in Amityville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Amityville start around $5,803 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Amityville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Amityville
For assisted living facilities for seniors who qualify, New York state has an Assisted Living Program that will pay for assisted living facilities when a high level of care is required for participants, equivalent to what one would receive in a nursing home. Ninety percent of the people in this program are on Medicaid though non-medicaid applicants are still admitted a small percentage of the time.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Amityville
Amityville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Amityville, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Amityville
Amityville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Amityville
Review of Dominican Village
We went to Dominican Village. It's very good, I was very happy with it, and the person who accommodated us was very good. She made us feel comfortable, she knew what she was talking about, and brou... Read more
Review of Dominican Village
My Aunt lived in both the independent, and assisted living arrangements at Dominican village. Huge staff turnover. Assisted living more like a nursing home. (Smells, and residents calling o... Read more
Review of Dominican Village
Unfortunately not as clean as it used to be. high staff turnover. and now I'm told there are bedbugs in the main building. It Was nice a few years ago. there has been a change in management. n... Read more