14 Assisted Living Facilities near Bay Shore, NY
Also serving communities of Islip, Brentwood.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bay Shore area, with 2 in Bay Shore and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Bay Shore is $5,195 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 111 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bay Shore. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bay Shore 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Babylon with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in Bay Shore find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bay Shore, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bay Shore, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bay Shore
Bay Shore, New York, is located in Suffolk County on Long Island. The city is home to Captree State Park, a lovely location for fishing, boating, and spending time outdoors. The population of Bay Shore is 30,000, with 11% being seniors aged 65 and older. This is a demographic that will probably need housing and care in assisted living communities as they age. To accommodate these individuals, Bay Shore has two assisted living facilities, with 12 more in nearby communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bay Shore
- The overall cost of living in Bay Shore is 129 compared to the U.S. baseline of 100. While grocery costs and healthcare, both important to seniors in assisted living, are within a few points of the national average, the higher cost of housing, 170 compared to 100, raises the overall cost of living. This may mean that facilities charge more due to higher operating costs.
- Income derived from Social Security is not subject to New York state income tax, which may be helpful to seniors on a budget. In addition, income from private pensions or other retirement accounts is tax exempt up to $20,000.
- The Bay Shore area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Southside Hospital Northwell Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Winters in Bay Shore are cold, with plenty of snow, while summers are warm and balmy, with breezes from the Atlantic Ocean to cool residents. Seniors sensitive to the cold may be uncomfortable here.
- Bay Shore, as part of Suffolk County, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Overall crime rates for both property crimes and violent crimes are lower in Bay Shore than the rest of the nation, although seniors are still advised to use caution when venturing into New York City proper.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bay Shore
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Bay Shore start around $4,595 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bay Shore and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bay Shore
Bay Shore residents may be eligible for an Assisted Living Waiver through the state of New York. This is similar to a Medicaid waiver and may be used to pay for assisted living fees.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bay Shore
Bay Shore and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bay Shore, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bay Shore
Bay Shore-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Bay Shore, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bay Shore
Review of Atria Bay Shore
Atria Bayshore is farther away, which is the one issue, you know if I want to visit my parents. There was also an issue with the catheter. They would have the ability to change the bag, but not rem... Read more
Review of Atria Bay Shore
When visiting this facility, you instantly feel that homey feel. The staff there are so warm and welcoming, they are more like family than employees. The smiling faces of the residents, enjoying va... Read more
Review of Atria Bay Shore
I visited this community and can say it is absolutely beautiful. The grounds a gorgeous, apartments are bright and airy and it feels like home. The residents look so happy and were enjoying diffe... Read more