31 Assisted Living Facilities near Commack, NY
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Commack area, with 2 in Commack and 29 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Commack is $5,100 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include East Northport with an average starting cost of $4,300.
To help you with your search, browse the 217 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Commack. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Commack 2.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include East Northport with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Commack, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Commack, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Commack
The name Commack came from the Algonquin word for "beautiful place," and today, more than 6,700 seniors aged 65 and older call this place home. The city proper has two assisted living facilities for this part of the population, with more than two dozen in nearby cities like Huntington Station and Smithtown. Through Commack and the rest of the state all forms of assisted living, including adults homes, enriched housing programs and assisted living residences are monitored by the New York Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Commack
- When it comes to air quality in Commack and the rest of Suffolk County, the American Lung Association gives mixed reviews. The ozone levels get an F, while the particular pollution levels get an A. Seniors may want to discuss with their healthcare provider whether this could exacerbate any existing health conditions.
- Suffolk County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Social Security income is exempt from taxes in New York, but other retirement income is not. However, residents are able to deduct up to $20,000 in other retirement income which can provide some savings.
- Commack has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Smithtown.
- Property crime rates in Commack are about 45 percent lower than the average for the rest of New York, and violent crime rates are about half of the New York average. This means that seniors and their families can have confidence that they will be safe in this area.
- New York is a higher cost of living state, coming in about 19 percent higher than the U.S. average overall. In Commack, seniors will pay around 14 percent more for healthcare and 22 percent more for goods and services than the rest of the state, which could impact fixed budgets.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Commack
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Commack start around $5,100 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Commack and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Commack
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Commack
Commack and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Commack, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Commack
Commack-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Commack, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Commack
Review of Gurwin Jewish - Fay J. Lindner Residences
This facility has been very slow to adapt to the COVID 19 regulations. They keep All residents in lockdown Except for 2 hours a day for two or three days a week. Family’s cannot visit through th... Read more
Review of Gurwin Jewish Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
This 5 Star review is for Wayne F. who saved the life of my Brother Scott Gingold. These are his words: "I am writing to you to commend Wayne F. for going above and beyond the call of duty last w... Read more
Review of Gurwin Jewish - Fay J. Lindner Residences
I visited Gurwin Jewish for my sister. My mother lived at Gurwin Assisted Living until she died, and my husband is in Gurwin Rehab, so Gurwin has been in and remains in my family. I was in love wit... Read more