11 Assisted Living Facilities near Lafayette, IN
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lafayette area, with 7 in Lafayette and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lafayette is $3,080 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include West Lafayette with an average starting cost of $3,006.
To help you with your search, browse the 41 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lafayette. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lafayette 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Logansport with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lafayette, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lafayette, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lafayette
Located 63 miles northwest of Indianapolis and 105 miles southeast of Chicago, Lafayette makes a good home base for seniors who enjoy day trips and overnight outings. The mid-size city has a population of 71,111, with seniors over the age of 60 making up 15.7 percent of it. There are nine assisted living facilities in the Lafayette area — five are within the Lafayette city limits and four are in nearby communities. Two assisted living options are available: assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential care facilities (RCFs). Both provide basic assistive services, but RCFs also help residents with medication administration and their nursing needs. RCFs are licensed by the Indiana State Board of Health Facility Administrators because they provide minimal nursing services, but ACFs are monitored by the Family and Social Services (FFS) Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lafayette
CityBus operates a public bus system in the Greater Lafayette area. Seniors pay half fares for both single rides and monthly bus passes.
- Lafayette’s overall cost of living is slightly lower than the state average. However, the cost of groceries and healthcare is a little bit higher than they are in other parts of Indiana, which may make it difficult for seniors on fixed or low incomes.
- For seniors, Indiana moderately tax-friendly state. Social Security income is completely tax-free, but withdrawals from retirement accounts and pension income are both fully taxed.
- The Lafayette area is home to world-class medical facilities, including IU Health Arnett Hospital, Franciscan Health Lafayette East, and Clarian Arnett Health South Lafayette Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Within Indiana, 96% of the communities have a crime rate that’s lower than Lafayette’s. When compared to other cities similar in size and population, Lafayette’s crime rate for violent and property crimes combined is quite a bit higher than average.
- The Lafayette Senior Services Center offers a range of classes, workshops, entertainment, and events for seniors to enjoy year round. The Hanna Community Center also hosted regular events for seniors including card playing, BINGO, day trips, and musical programs. It also has a senior-friendly exercise equipment, exercise programs, and Hanna Senior Club, which meets once per month.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lafayette
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Lafayette start around $3,080 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lafayette and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lafayette
Senior who need assistance with assisted living costs can apply for the state’s Regional Care Assistance Program (RCAP). Indiana also has a Medicaid Waiver program that helps cover residential care facility costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lafayette
Lafayette and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lafayette, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lafayette
Lafayette-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Lafayette, IN
Other Options in Lafayette, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lafayette
Review of Aster Place
Aster Place was very nice, clean, big, and friendly. The food looked okay, and the dining room was nice. The rooms were pretty good sized. They had a recreation room and a weight room. Read more
Review of Five Star Residences of Lafayette
Five Star Residences of Lafayette was very nice, but a little older facility. The staff was very nice and took time to talk to us and sit down with my mother. They had an activity room, and they ha... Read more
Review of Aster Place
Aster Place's staff was really friendly and the people were great. I like that you could come and go if you want to, and I like the freedom. They have an exercise room, board games, Bingo nights, a... Read more