11 Assisted Living Facilities near West Lafayette, IN
Also serving communities of Attica.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the West Lafayette area, with 5 in West Lafayette and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in West Lafayette is $3,490 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,635. Cheaper nearby regions include Lafayette with an average starting cost of $3,169.
To help you with your search, browse the 61 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West Lafayette. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West Lafayette 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lafayette with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West Lafayette, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in West Lafayette, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Lafayette
West Lafayette, which is located in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, is home to Purdue University and was named by the U.S. News & World Report in 2008 as one of the top 10 "Brainiest Places to Retire." While the median age of this college town is 21.7, West Lafayette has a senior community that makes up about 7% of the population of 48,000 people.
West Lafayette has four assisted living facilities, and there are six more nearby for local seniors to choose from. These facilities are officially called residential care facilities and are governed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Lafayette
- Retirees in West Lafayette pay state income tax on every type of retirement income except for their Social Security benefits. While the state has a relatively high sales tax rate, property taxes are fairly low, which may benefit seniors who own homes.
- The air quality in West Lafayette is exceptional. According to the American Lung Association, the region has very low particle pollution levels, which is beneficial to seniors with conditions like asthma and COPD.
- The West Lafayette area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Lafayette.
- Public transportation in West Lafayette is provided by CityBus, which operates seven routes in the city and several more in the surrounding area. Medicare recipients and seniors age 65 and over are eligible to ride for half-fare.
- West Lafayette's crime rate is higher than 63% of U.S. cities, and residents have a one in 55 chance of being the victim of a violent or property-related crime. The city's violent crime rate is near the national median, but the property crime rate is higher than average. Seniors may want to make sure that the assisted living facility they choose prioritizes resident safety with security features like surveillance cameras.
- While West Lafayette's overall cost of living is about 4% lower than the national average, it is roughly 8% higher than the statewide average, which may be a concern for seniors who are relocating from a more affordable Indiana city.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Lafayette
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in West Lafayette start around $3,490 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Lafayette and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Lafayette
Low-income seniors in West Lafayette may receive financial assistance with assisted living services through Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915(c) waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Lafayette
West Lafayette and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West Lafayette, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Lafayette
West Lafayette-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near West Lafayette, IN
Other Options in West Lafayette, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West Lafayette
Review of Westminster Village West Lafayette
We have visited several communities now but none as impressive as West Minster West Lafayette. From staff to rooms to activities and friendliness, you will not find a better home!!! Read more
Review of University Place
University Place was exorbitantly expensive. You get what you pay for. The staff was very personable and professional. There seemed to be a good staff to resident ratio, and of course, that's what ... Read more
Review of University Place
University Place was great, the lady was very nice, very informative, and showed me the different rooms. It was a good experience. I was so comfortable there. They had a whole folder drawn up for m... Read more