9 Assisted Living Facilities near Kokomo, IN
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kokomo area, with 8 in Kokomo and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kokomo is $2,838 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Peru with an average starting cost of $2,294.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kokomo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kokomo 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Logansport with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kokomo, call (855) 863-8283.
8 Assisted Living Facilities in Kokomo, IN
1 Assisted Living Facility near Kokomo, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kokomo
Kokoma is located in Howard County and has a population of 58, 075. It is home to seven assisted living facilities with two more located in nearby areas. Seniors in Indiana can choose to reside in either an assisted living facility (ALF) or a residential care facility (RCF). Both provide regular assisted living services such as three meals per day and help with regular activities of daily living. However, RCFs also provide assistance with medication administration and basic nursing services. The Indiana State Board of Health Facility Administrators regulates care for RCFs, but ALFs are only required to file a disclosure form with the Family and Social Services (FFS) Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kokomo
- Kokomo has a fixed-route public bus system called the CityLine Trolley, which makes it easy for seniors to travel through the city. However, seniors who are able to schedule transportation at least one day in advance should consider using the city’s Spirit of Kokomo services instead. It’s a para-transit service specifically for seniors over the age of 60 and disabled people.
- The overall cost of living in Kokomo is lower than both the state and national average. However, costs for specific categories, such as health care and groceries, are slightly higher than the state average.
- Indiana is a state that’s considered moderately tax-friendly to seniors. Private and public pension income and withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed. However, any income received from Social Security is completely tax-free.
- The Kokomo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Vincent Kokomo, Community Howard Regional Health and Community Howard Specialty Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Kokomo’s crime rate is 91 percent higher than other cities and towns in Indiana of a similar size. Its crime rate per thousand residents is also higher than most.
- Howard County, Indiana, has a pretty good quality of air. According to the American Lung Association, the county received a B rating in 24-hour particle pollution, which means that seniors who enjoy outdoor activities can look forward to breathing clean air.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kokomo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Kokomo start around $2,838 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kokomo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kokomo
Seniors residing in the Kokomo area assisted living facilities can apply for two programs to help cover their costs. The Regional Care Assistance Program (RCAP) and the state’s Medicaid Waiver program help fund the costs of residing in assisted living communities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kokomo
Kokomo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kokomo, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kokomo
Kokomo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Kokomo, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kokomo
Review of The Wellington of Kokomo Reflections Memory Care
My dad is staying in assisted living at The Wellington of Kokomo. It's a beautiful facility. Everything is nice, including the cafeteria, my dad's room, and the service he gets. It's outstanding. H... Read more
Review of Kokomo Place
Kokomo Place was very clean and it was more home-like. They also have nursing care. The apartment was more of a studio with a dorm-sized refrigerator and microwave. Cleaning and all three meals are... Read more
Review of Waterford Place Health Campus
My mother was there for rehab. She was offered a choice of Sugar Cream pie or Pecan for dessert; only problem is she is insulin dependent diabetic. Dietician did not have it in her chart that she w... Read more