32 Assisted Living Facilities near Elmhurst, IL
With an average cost of $5,321 in Elmhurst, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 5 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 3 facilities in Elmhurst.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Elmhurst, IL
29 Assisted Living Facilities near Elmhurst, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elmhurst
Elmhurst, Illinois, has several museums and a bustling theatre, all of which are free or heavily discounted for the city’s 6,337 seniors. Seniors who require some assistance with personal care and other aspects of daily living may benefit from living in one of the area’s 32 assisted living facilities, three of which are located within the city limits.
In Elmhurst and the rest of Illinois, assisted living facilities are called assisted living establishments, shared housing establishments, supportive living facilities and sheltered care facilities. All of them are licensed and governed by the Illinois Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elmhurst
- The cost of living in Elmhurst is 142.4, more than 42 points higher than the national average of 100. Groceries and healthcare rank lower than the national average at 93.9 and 97.9, respectively. However, transportation ranks much higher at 143.6. City seniors might want to allocate extra money towards transportation when working out their budgets.
- Illinois is a tax-friendly state for retirees, which could result in more money for Elmhurst assisted living residents to put toward facility and entertainment expenses. The state does not tax Social Security benefits, retirement savings account income or pensions.
- The Elmhurst area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Elmhurst Hospital and The Second Synapse General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Elmhurst has an array of transportation options for area seniors 65 and over. The Ride DuPage Program provides subsidized transportation to seniors who have filled out a registration form. The Senior Free & Reduced Fare RTA/Pace/Metra Program provides reduced fair and free ride permits to seniors throughout the area.
- Elmhurst has a violent crime rate of 8.4 and a property crime rate of 21.7, both of which are significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. With the low rate of crime in Elmhurst, seniors may feel more confident running errands in town.
- The temperatures in Elmhurst can reach 84 degrees in the summer and 17 in the winter. The city gets 38 inches of rain and 36 inches of snow annually, resulting in 189 sunny days per year, 16 less than the national average of 205. There are still plenty of opportunities for seniors to be active outdoors in Elmhurst.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elmhurst
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Elmhurst start around $5,321 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elmhurst and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elmhurst
Seniors who need help paying for assisted living costs can apply for the HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities. There are many available spots; however, there is an enrollment cap on the program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elmhurst
Elmhurst and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elmhurst, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elmhurst
Elmhurst-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Elmhurst, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elmhurst
Review of Lexington of Elmhurst
Lexington of Elmhurst is a huge complex that's very nicely done. We saw a beautiful two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment, which was available. They made the pricing very enticing to us. We are reall... Read more
Review of Park Place of Elmhurst
My mother fell over at Park Place of Elmhurst. Her room was OK, but as far as the care that they gave, it was horrible. I hated it from the start. I was not happy there at all. When you walk in the... Read more
Review of Park Place of Elmhurst
Park Place of Elmhurst was very professional. They were able to give me information immediately via email in regards to pricing and detailed information about the programs. During the tour, they sh... Read more