Highgate at Vancouver

Reviews of Highgate at Vancouver

Assisted Living Reviews for Highgate at Vancouver

November 18, 2016

By jeanniem2015

We moved my mom here who is 94 and still quite independent. Our experience has been more than wonderful. The facility is very well appointed and the staff so welcoming and competent. The food is excellent with high quality ingredients and served by caring staff. The activities are great too and the atmosphere is very positive. My mom absolutely loves it and so do we!

July 17, 2016

By HowardJ

My parents initially moved into one of Highgate's independent living villas. At the time, my mother was in the middle stages of Alzheimer's and my father was suffering from congestive heart failure. One of the key attractions of Highgate was that they could handle my mothers needs as she progressed with Alzheimer's, and we wanted a consistent environment for her during the process. We visited several assisted living communities in our search, and although some had more impressive facilities, we were drawn to the smaller size of Highgate and the overall happier feeling of the staff and residents. It was clear that with the smaller size that the caregivers know the residents well and genuinely care for them, and that has remained consistent throughout the years as my parents have progressed from independent living to assisted living (father's stroke) to memory care (mother's advanced Alzheimer's), all within Highgate. The people that work at Highgate, from top to bottom, are the main reason we are very satisfied with Highgate. Even with the expected turnover over the years, they continue to hire some very special people that clearly care about the wellbeing of my parents. On many occasions we have witnessed caregivers going above and beyond their duties in showing kindness to my parents. Something as simple as a caregiver just sitting and talking with my father for awhile, or the director taking my mother out for a drive to get a milk shake. I have interacted a great deal over the years with the staff both in person and on the phone, and they always know who I am and who my parents are. If I need to come pick them up for anything, I just call the reception desk and let them know when I plan to pick them up, and they will be sure that they are ready to go. In particular, mother is always clean and well groomed and dressed, which is no easy task in her late stage of Alzheimer's. I most certainly would choose Highgate again, and I give them my highest recommendation.

December 15, 2015

By MaMaceleste

I moved my mother here to be closer to my sisters and I. The staff at Highgate have all been helpful, caring and very understanding. I definitely recommend Highgate.

July 31, 2014

Mom is in the assisted living part of Highgate. We choose it because of the number of residents, its location and the overall feel and look of the facility. It's more homey and not such an institutional looking situation. The people who run it are very caring and there is a lot of young energy there. The staff makes it more personal by introducing me to a couple of residents and let them talk about their experience there, where they come from and they are very open about it. It isn't as though as a program presentation. I feel very comfortable visiting my mother. One thing that is important to me is that they are taking charge of her meds because sometimes her memory is not good enough that she's messing up on that. If someone needs extra care like my mother as there is a concern that she may fall and no one would really know it, she has a call button on her chain around her neck at all times and any time that she needs assistance or help, she pushes the button and they respond right away. That is big comfort to an elder person because they are worried that people aren't going to hear them when they need help and that is a relief. They are all very concerned and they always know where she is and what she's doing. It is an open door policy. You can come and go any time you want and the residents who are able to go around on their own, they come and go as they want. They have both independent living and assisted living. They have little apartments on the exterior part of the main building for independent living, they have assisted living that's more of apartments and then they have memory care. My mother is 93 years old and not too interested with activities, but there were a lot of success stories with people that have come in in wheelchairs and walker and because of being involved and actively exercising regularly and just getting out and about, they are no longer using those devices. They are much healthier. They have a nutritionist who works with them and the food is very nutritious. She hold open session and invites all the residents and families or whoever are interested to come in and talk about the menu. It is very informative and it is also a venue for the residents to speak up if they have something they don't really like in the food or the menu. The meals are balanced and they customize the meal to the needs of the person individually. They just seem to be overall happy there. You don't hear a lot of complaining.

July 31, 2014

Highgate Senior Living has independent, assisted, and mental care. They're very caring people. They know everybody and anybody that comes to their front door by name. I can't believe how they remember names. Very efficient and very prompt on calls that are made to them. Nursing staff is very, very good. Food is very good. Old building. Everyday, there's something different, and they have happy hours. They have entertainment that comes in once a week and they take their people to different places. Many varied activities.

July 30, 2014

Highgate is awesome. Everybody there is really good. They are good with my mother-in-law. She just loves it there. She has been there for three months now. She really likes her room. The facility is very clean. The staff all seems like they really care a lot. Because my mother-in-law has memory problem, she has to be taken a little more care of and the staff is great there. I would really recommend that place. Also my brother's wife had her father there and she really recommended Highgate to us.

July 10, 2013

By Jan16

We're very happy with Highgate. The staff was very accommodating. We're very pleased with them. They residents play cards, they go for bus tours and they have entertainment come in. The food is wonderful.

Memory Care Reviews for Highgate at Vancouver

About Highgate at Vancouver

Highgate at Vancouver is a senior living community with a view of Mount Hood. It's conveniently located near parks, walking paths, movie theaters, churches, shopping, pharmacies, doctors, medical clinics, and a hospital. For those affected by Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, the community offers a separate and secure residence called The Cottage.

Map of Highgate at Vancouver