The Devonshire

Reviews of The Devonshire

Assisted Living Reviews for The Devonshire

January 21, 2021

By Kimmie

We chose The Devonshire for my mom, but she hasn't moved in yet. We chose this facility for her because of its security, the friendliness of staff, it's up-to-date, and the Coronavirus precautions and guidelines. They had activities, from Bible service, bingo, TV nights, movie nights, and game nights. The living atmosphere was good, positive, and family-oriented.

Kimmie, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing at the community. Our residents are our top priority and we are eagerly awaiting your Mother's move in. We look forward to continuing to exceed your expectations in Senior Living.

August 20, 2020

By aroaf

My dad started out independent living and had a pet cat. Most of the cleaning staff refused to clean because of it. He moved to Assisted Living, they made him get rid it despite promising he would not have to. Trying to contact him has been a nightmare. There are no phones or computers for them to use. No return calls when messages are left. Emails have little effect. I know that all he does is sit in his room except for physical therapy and possibly meals. He has no other human interaction which he desperately needs due to his dementia. Oh, and there is no special care for dementia. The room he is in is Tiny.

December 19, 2019

By Jessica

I like Devonshire the most. The parking lot was clean, but it looked a little outdated. It had a nursing home look on the outside, but the inside was remodeled and the lobby was inviting. The staff was very helpful, very informative, prepared for the tour, and showed us the independent living side. It was handicap accessible including the bathrooms and everything was clean. The dining hall was very fancy. It didn't look gloomy or depressing. Even on the assisted living side, the hallways weren't smelly. We saw attendants in the hallways taking care of the area. I got to meet one of the memory care tenants, and she recognized the staff who was touring me and she had a good rapport with her. I really like it. The independent living residents seemed to love the place as well. I had a very good feel about it.

June 12, 2019

By Brenda Della

Recently, during a very challenging period and life-changing transition for a family member, we researched through over a dozen senior living facilities, and we were led to “The Devonshire”. The staff has truly been instrumental with transitioning our family member from independent living and into the assisted living community. They have been so patient and accommodating with walking us through the numerous changes for all of us. We would like to offer a huge “shout-out” for Michelle Peterson: Her professionalism, patience and genuine kindness are always appreciated! She has been generous with her time, while consistently remaining dedicated and fully committed to all of her residents. We have been routinely around senior living facilities for over 9 years now, familiar with over 2 dozen. The Devonshire truly has a “home-like” feeling; it doesn’t feel like “just another facility”. We thank you, The Devonshire staff family! We are a blessed and grateful family.

January 12, 2019

By AR

The Devonshire was my first choice. I had no problem as far as the facility and the people. It was bright and clean and the people there were very welcoming. I saw the people eating, and they seemed to be enjoying it. The rooms were nice and clean, but they didn't have much room for extra stuff. They had the facilities for you to wash your own clothes. They had extra activities and physical therapy. They had the studio, the alcove, and the one-bedroom. The young lady who took me around was excellent. The facility was very nice, light, bright and airy, and clean. There's just not much room for clothing and other stuff.

September 14, 2018

By Marcella

The Devonshire's apartments were modernized but some weren't and dated to the '80s. Some had recently been renovated. They were all relatively small. They had a restaurant, a room with some books in it, and another room that they used for exercise which had no equipment, just a walker and a chair. There's a little beauty salon which opened when the stylist came in. The people were very pleasant. They had a schedule of activities on the wall. There was a bus to take them to different areas for different things. The chef was very pleasant as was the lady who did the tour. She was very knowledgeable and pleasant.

April 14, 2017

By Sandi155531

The Devonshire Retirement Community could use an update. They had the same problem as far as transportation, which is just twice a week to the doctor. They had a larger menu, and they allowed people to eat a little more, but everyone had to turn up between certain hours to eat, and it is not accommodating; it is not how you treat grown people.

November 09, 2015

By Barbara115472450

I was impressed with the interaction between the residents and the activities going on at Devonshire. We were given a tour of several different apartments with different arrangements and sizes, and I liked the rooms. Devonshire was older but well-kept, adequate, and modernized. They had a very nice lounge, gazebo, and patio. They allowed us to have a meal, and the food was very good. It was a very well-balanced, hot meal, and we had choices as to what to eat. My relative is happier, socializes more, and enjoys the food. She’s quite pleased with the staff.

August 04, 2011

By ryarboro

The Devonshire, located in Hampton, Virginia, has been the home to my grandmother for the past 10-15 years. Our family is very close one and as a former middle school principal, my grandmother has a lot of pride and wanted to live in a place that would account for her dignity in achieving so much in her life. Her decision to move to an assisted facility came down to concerns from our family about her living in a large two-story house by herself and at the age of 75, the possibility that she could have a fall down some stairs or accident and nobody would be readily available to come to her aid. Like many people in that situation, nursing homes were a possibility at the beginning, but we felt she was capable of doing things on her own...just simply needed a little guidance. I feel The Devonshire has provided that. With activities such as board games, exercise groups and such, the community has much to offer for new residents to become acclimated. My grandmother's room has a couch, large television, comfortable bed and lounge and bath facilities that are more than adequate. The menu options for residents if they prefer are large and account for any residents with illnesses such as diabetes when creating a personal menu day to day. A courtyard gives residents the ability to chat away from their neighbors and in general, the Hampton area has an old-town feel that is welcoming to guests and family members such as myself who come to visit. If someone were looking at The Devonshire for either themselves or a relative, I would highly recommend it. There is a slight issue with overcrowding, but personal attention is not an issue.

Independent Living Reviews for The Devonshire

September 19, 2021

By Molly

I like The Devonshire. I would give them a 5 because of the amenities, as far as the different recreational programs and the services like housekeeping. The staff was very knowledgeable and very pleasant to speak to. The staff showed me a one-bedroom. My sister has a walker, and she has difficulty standing up on her own. The bedroom was geared towards the handicapped person. It was very accessible. They give classes and exercise in the morning. They have a full recreational calendar. They have a library. They go on bus trips and transportation if you want to go shopping. The area was nice, clean and neat in the morning. It looks like a very new community.

September 08, 2021

By Joseph

We're in The Devonshire, and the place is great. Before I even got there, the lady on the phone, her customer service skills were so good, I was done. I didn't have to come up there. When I went there, I was blown away. It felt just like at home, you weren't just another resident, you felt like part of things. I was waiting for my wife to get approved to go, and they helped us all along the way in, and I just can't get over that. The lady we just talked to answered any questions we had, and the layout was so great. It felt like home as soon as I walked through the door. We saw a one-bedroom apartment. Everything, like the bedroom, the kitchen was good, the bathroom, everything was great, and it had a nice, big closet. They were playing bingo, and they got other stuff there. They've got a whole activity board, they've got a calendar, they go on trips, they go shopping, there's just so much going on there. They made you feel like family. The food was excellent; good chef.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at The Devonshire! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

August 23, 2021

By Kim

Everything about The Devonshire is outstanding, from viewing and going to the facility, I love it and all the perks I will get. I'm happy. They help assist those people who need help, the place is clean, and they have courteous people. It's like being at home. They have laundry, a weight room, and meals are provided at different times. The dining room is lovely too. The room I am going to stay in is well lit and nice. Everything is very clean and outstanding.

Hi Kim, We are so happy you enjoy The Devonshire! Thank you for the review. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call.

August 23, 2021

By ReviewerFC081621A

The Devonshire seemed quite nice. I was surprised that the people that live there weren't involved in greeting potential newcomers. The rooms were very nice. They have laundry facilities, they have things they do, and different groups, but one thing I realized after the tour, was the fact that they said I could have a dog, which was acceptable. However, it dawned on me, I don't believe there's an enclosed area where the dog can be let loose. In other words, regardless of the weather, I have to go out and walk the dog two or three times a day. There are no provisions for a pet even though you're allowed to have them. It seems well laid out, clean, neat, and well taken care of. They had a gathering that I could have gone to, but I was not free to go. The staff seemed very nice. There's no issue there whatsoever.

Thank you for your review! We are pleased you enjoyed your visit at The Devonshire. Most of our residents with pets walk their dogs in our enclosed court yards. If you have any questions please give us a call. We hope to see you again!

June 25, 2021

By Wendy

I toured The Devonshire and I met up with Miss Alicia. She was wonderful and very accommodating. The only thing I didn't like about that is that the rooms are excessively small. I have a two-bedroom where I am and I don't expect to take everything with me if I was going to independent living, and I understand I would have to downsize, but that would be too much downsizing. A lot of it. You get two meals a day and if you want extra, you have to pay six dollars and seventy-five cents or something like that for the extra meal added. They do not have indoor laundry facilities. I mean, you don't have it in your apartment. They have several laundry rooms on the floor that you could go and do your own laundry. A 1-bedroom was going for $2300, and it was very small. They had happy hour, painting, and people painting. I went to the dining facility, and I liked the dining area. I went around 11 o'clock. There were a few people there having late breakfast, but it wasn't like there was alot going on during my tour. The facility is beautiful, very clean, and is awesome.

July 08, 2019

By Lajean

The Devonshire was very nice and they were remodeling everything including the rooms and the restaurant. My friends who live in their assisted and independent living facilities both love it there and they said the food is good. They have a lot of games, they transport them to doctors' appointments, they have two meals a day, they clean your room once a week, they have a gym, programs, swimming once a week, a library, and a card room.

August 21, 2018

By Karen

The staff at The Devonshire was very professional and very friendly. The appearance was very nice, clean, and elegant. We met some of the residents who were very sweet, friendly, and anxious to meet my mother. They had a nice dining room, a salon, on-site physical therapy, interim healthcare that coordinates temporary skilled nursing and home healthcare, a TV room, calendar of events and activities, and a beautiful courtyard. The grounds looked really nice. The apartment Mom will be in is a two-bedroom, two-bath with a kitchen that's been remodelled and updated. It has the wood-look floors and granite-look counters. It's freshly painted and has a walkout patio to the courtyard.

June 14, 2018

By Bob

The Devonshire was very nice and there weren't any shortcomings. The person who gave us the tour was very helpful and had all the answers to our questions. The dining area looked good and reminded us of a nice sit-down restaurant. We saw the common areas and the gathering spaces, which looked very comfortable and bright.

May 01, 2018

By Joan

I was very impressed with The Devonshire. I was greeted almost the minute I walked in the door by very friendly people. One of them happened to be their chef who was at the front desk and was a very nice gentleman. The lady receptionist was the sweetest she could be. They made me feel welcome. The whole appearance of the building felt clean and neat, friendly, and everything was in place. They had arts and crafts. The lady gave me the activity calendar, and they have so much to do every day of the month. They have kept in touch with me through emails.

March 19, 2018

By Nancy

I visited The Devonshire. The apartments were roomy, nice, and convenient. The staff was very nice. They had a nice dining room, and the residents were very friendly. They had activities, but not as many as the others. They had a hair salon, washers and dryers on each floor, and excellent security.

Costs for The Devonshire

Photos of The Devonshire

Services and Amenities of The Devonshire

• Independent Living Starting At: $2060/month

• Companion Suites: No
  • Housing Extra: Alcoves

• Pets: Yes

About The Devonshire

The Devonshire is a well-maintained and established retirement community offering Independent Living and Assisted Living. We at The Devonshire pride ourselves on our welcoming attitude to all that come through the door. We enjoy giving attention to our residents’ individual needs providing them the esteem and comfort of home. At The Devonshire we believe our hospitality and care is demonstrated not only by our long-term residents of 10+ years, but the commitment and longevity of our staff. We offer a variety of amenities to enrich the lives of our residents.

A few of our highlighted amenities include full size apartments with housekeeping and laundry facilities, 24-hour staffing, emergency system in all units, restaurant style service in dining room, planned actives with transportation, fitness center, beauty salon, library and game room.

Map of The Devonshire