Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Reviews of Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Assisted Living Reviews for Senior Commons at Powder Mill

March 03, 2021

By June M-B

In Jan. 2013 my father passed away while both parents were living in NC. Knowing Mom would have to now live near a child, she chose to live near me. I gave her a year after my father passed to make the move not wanting to uproot her so soon after his death. I talked to marketing at a couple of places and got floor plans for her and she choose Senior Commons at Powder Mill. She had wanted to live in independent living in a two-bedroom apartment. In August she fell and we decided it would be best for her to move more quickly and not spend a winter alone in NC. What was available for her at the time was a two-room suite in assisted living. We took it and prior to her even going into the suite, my husband and I got her furniture situated so when she walked in, it looked like home. She was so comfortable there that she never went over to independent living. In the 7+ years that she was at Senior Commons, she was treated with respect and care. She never had an unkind word to say about any of the staff. The only complaint she had when she first arrived was there was too much salt in the food, and after a town hall meeting where it was brought up by several residents, that was rectified. As my mother was nearing end of life, I feel like the staff took me under their wing to make sure that both of us were comfortable. It was a difficult time and they helped me get through it. They became family. This year has been difficult for all. I can’t imagine what they have gone through, including employee turnover, COVID with the residents as well as staff, ability to care for everyone the way they would like. But through all the years and especially this one, the right decision was made for Mom to live out her life at Senior Commons. And I thank them for the care they have shown.

January 23, 2020

By William

I thought that Senior Commons at Powder Mill is a little bit expensive; the other place I saw was cheaper. This is a nicer community of course. The tour was a pleasurable experience and the lady that showed us around was very knowledgeable and had all the right answers to our questions. I saw some of their rooms. Their apartments were full, so they had none to show me, which was alright. The surroundings are a big open space, and there are a couple sets of doors. I got a chance to walk around. Their menu was well thought out, and they give the patients a choice of meals. I saw a couple different room sizes, the one shown to me had been refurbished with newly painted walls, and new carpets. So it seemed like they're on top of things. The setting that it's in, the building structure itself, and the furnishings inside are top notch.

April 12, 2019

By Going Above and Beyond

We found ourselves in a tough situation. My sister was in need of respite care for a month or two or so we thought. We discovered that her medical needs were far more that we could handle at home. We turned to the staff at Senior Commons for help with additional care needs and how to implement it. Millie, Resident Care Director, took the initiative to call and facilitate services that needed to be put in place taking the stress off of the family. She went above and beyond staying late into the night to help my sister. Our family feels blessed that my sister Dorothy is here. She is well taken care of with meals, safety, and medication management. We also found Susan in activities is always encouraging her to be part of the festivities and meet new people. I highly recommend trusting this community to care for your loved too.

January 16, 2019

By Glen B.

My brother-in-law, Jay, was very reluctant to move. Our family had many conversations that didn’t go anywhere with him. Once we finally convinced him to check it out, he still insisted that we would go home and talk about it. The 2 hour tour was incredible because it changed his mind. The tour ended with Jay asking Kelly when could he stay overnight. She said we are ready for you tonight. During his stay, the staff was 100% helpful at every interaction with him and our entire family. Not a single team member left our presence without stopping and asking if there was anything else they can do for Jay or for us. I highly recommended Senior Commons for your loved one. The care is outstanding. They are truly professionals.

November 13, 2018

By EHF

My parents are residents of Senior Commons at Powder Mill. The community is fine, and their needs are taken care of. The biggest problem they had was with their meds, but they got most of that straightened out. It took a while to get things together but that's to be expected at the start. They seemed to adjust fine to the place and they've started doing some of the activities and stuff. The staff members notify my parents when their meals are ready, they notify them with their meds, and they come in every morning to put on their compression socks. They have complaints but their needs are met. Their room has a bathroom, bedroom, and a living room with a little kitchenette in it. There's a sink, and they have a microwave, refrigerator, and so on just outside the door. They're just around a bit down the hallway to the dining room. Their position is almost right at the center of everything you need, between the office, activity room, and lunch room, so they don’t have a whole lot of travelling to do to go to the activities they need. The staff is good. Sometimes it's light and sometimes it seems like they could use a little more help. The staff is very helpful. Every time you need something they take care of it. The building is laid out pretty good, and they're constantly working and making things better too.

September 08, 2017

By Kay

Staff at Senior Commons are kind and friendly. Keep me informed by communicating through text and email. (My request) They have embraced my parents with kindness and willingness to assure every little need was met. They go out of their way to make them feel at home.

June 06, 2017

By jennifer740403

Senior Commons at Powder Mill was nice, but the rooms were really small. The employees were really nice. I had their meatloaf for lunch, and it gave me indigestion all day long.

May 05, 2017

By Wendy244780

I thought Senior Commons was very nice. They had lots of activities for the people, but during that time, there weren't any because there was a virus going through the home. It was a smaller place, so they got to know each other a little better. The staff was also very helpful. The dining area looked fine, and it was clean. They have a library and an exercise area.

October 04, 2016

By Adrian231574

I think the building was two-story, but Senior Commons did not inspire me at all. Some of the people were friendly, and some were not. The person who gave us the tour was very nice. From what I saw, the facility was large and looked clean.

September 13, 2016

By John465426

I visited Senior Commons at Powder Mill. The place was really nice and laid out really nice. Inside, it was like a big square, so they would not get lost. The people were really nice. The lady we talked to was really nice. However, it all depended on cost, and it was out of our range.

August 30, 2015

By Sonja4

Senior Commons was excellent. It had great staff. They showed me a suite as well as a general room. They had beds and dressers, and they would be having their food out somewhere. They gave me a list of the activities. Music was one of them; bingo was also one of them. They took them places on a bus, and they had a good number of activities. I liked the fact that they had libraries, they had activities, and they had people who were actually still did things actively. They were helping with skills they still had and continue to learn.

August 27, 2015

By Kathy101984050

The thing about Senior Commons is that it was small. Their rooms were very small for the price that you pay even for independent living. They had some activities in place, but not a lot. The place was older, but it was very pretty and very clean, and everything was well kept up. I just didn't think they offered as much to the older people as the other place does. Somebody walked us around, gave us information about it, and told us about the meals. We actually had lunch there, and the food was very good. However, the prices go up as her needs start to increase. As the level of care increases, the price increases. For me, that's really hard to determine where we are financially in supporting her. The day we were there, the people were playing cards. If you have a resident who doesn't like to play cards or is not able to mentally play cards, it kind of leaves them out.

Thanks for visiting Senior Commons at Powder Mill. We work very hard to create a welcoming environment for our residents, families and guests and your comments about the décor, cleanliness and food are much appreciated! I was surprised by your perception that the apartments are small. Our Independent apartments are larger than most of the communities in the York area and the Personal Care apartments are definitely comparable. Maybe we were the first place you saw??? Most importantly, I wanted to take the opportunity to correct your impression about activities. In addition to a full Activity Calendar, Senior Commons has partnered with FOX therapy to provide a Wellness Program to our residents. This program boasts over 21 programs weekly and includes walking clubs of various levels, a brain fitness program, and much, much more. My guess is that the residents that you saw playing cards were just neighbors enjoying each others’ company, nothing that was formally organized by Senior Commons. I encourage you to contact us to learn more about FOX Optimal Living and get a copy of our Activity Calendar.

May 26, 2015

By Caring106081950

They are accommodating and helpful with my dad -- very friendly -- and they take care of him pretty well. The room is clean; the housekeeping staff does a good job. They have got several things going on every morning and every afternoon. I like the facility and the way that it is laid out in small communities, and I like that it is convenient for me. They have four small dining rooms, and you are sitting with the same group of people all the time. The food seems very good; there is a good variety and is well-prepared from what I can see.

February 09, 2015

By nancyc36

My sister and I visited many assisted living communities in the York Area before we chose Senior Commons at Powder Mill for our mother. It was the nicest and cleanest place by far. We both felt the community was absolutely beautiful and smelled wonderful. Our mother was very lonely and depressed after the death of our father. She was not eating very much and most of her friends were not able to get out anymore even to attend church. She has made many new friends. They have so many activities. She enjoys the musical performances and devotions and her exercise class. Mother often comments on how helpful all the staff are. Her room is small but she has her own bathroom and we were allowed to bring all of her furniture from home. My sister and I feel confident we made the right choice and feel assured our mother is in great hands.

February 08, 2015

By lovemymotherinlaw

When my mother-in-law needed to be placed in a facility, my husband and I decided to tour Senior Commons at Powder Mill. We often heard about their reputation, which was very good and has remained that way. Our tour especially enhanced that. Location was important to us as well and they are conveniently located close to doctors' offices, shopping and two hospitals if necessary. When we entered the facility, the first thing we noticed was a very cozy fireplace in the lobby. The facility was absolutely immaculate. During our initial tour it was clearly evident that the marketing director was extremely knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our questions. Out of the other facilities we visited, this one was clearly the most kind and generous to their visitors and residents. The staff and residents were happy. We especially liked the idea that everything was on one floor and it would allow her to navigate very easily. The small dining rooms were also a unique feature. The food looked and smelled delicious. She has now been a resident for approximately three months. She has a lovely cozy private room. She has made friends and, after many years of living alone, she once again has real purpose in life. They offer so many things to keep her engaged. One of the best features about Senior Commons at Powder Mill was they had a lot of activities and a very large activity room. We were even encouraged to attend events and have enjoyed seeing some great entertainers. The Management is very caring. The staff is amazing and genuinely care about every resident that lives there. The entire staff actually knows everyone by name which makes it feel much more like home than "being in a home". The facility does a great job of finding and keeping the right people to serve their residents. I would highly recommend and have recommended Senior Commons at Powder Mill to anyone looking for quality care for their loved one.

January 14, 2015

By tootie17331

We were very excited when we visited Senior Commons in looking for an assisted living facility for my Mother who has dementia. It very very clean, neat just a beautiful place. After talking with the social worker and doing a tour we were sold. We were assured that they were capable of handling dementia patients and staff was trained. It was recommended that we hire a company to provide personal care 24-7 until she "transitioned", which we did. After Mom was here for a few days it became quite apparent that they were not equipped to handle dementia patients unless they are drugged, non verbal and sit all day. Mom likes to be active and move around. Almost every time we visited something was missing from her room and the next time it would turn up. We believe they hid her things and then brought them back. Everytime she did something a little odd, they acted like it was a big deal? Its a dementia floor correct? Anyway long story short she's no longer there and I would not recommend placing a loved one there unless they are non verbal and non mobile.

We are terribly sorry that your Mom’s experience at Senior Commons at Powder Mill wasn’t positive. We are dedicated to helping residents and their families make a smooth transition into our care ~ which was the reason for the personal aide. Our nurses and caregivers do receive specialized training on Alzheimer’s and dementia. However, no two residents are alike and the manifestations of the disease are different for every person. We have many residents who are in the early stages of the disease ~ residents who wander, who like your Mom, like to be “busy.” We also have residents who have aged-in-place and remain at Senior Commons as their disease progresses. We will add your comments to our Quality Improvement program so that they become part of our discussion on how we can continue to strive to provide the best possible care

May 30, 2014

I had been to Senior Commons several times, and I had friends who had moved there. I thought it was very neat and nice. The staff in the dining room was very cheerful. The rooms were very nice, but small. I liked the attitude of the people. They seemed to be busy folks. They had nice little parties. It was closest to my home, and I would recommend it to anybody who could afford it.

December 01, 2013

By Kathy74290750

My mother was at Senior Commons and she got kicked out of there. I'll never have anybody go there ever. I do not recommend that place at all. Firstly, she doesn't have a handicapped bathroom in her room and that was really hard on my mother getting on and off the toilet. Mom couldn't even take a shower in her room and they had to take her downstairs in order for her to have a shower. Then, we had a problem with their call button that didn't always work. One time my mom called for their staff and it took them 45 minute to get to her room and they said that they were giving a tour. My mom said, "What if I would have fallen?" and they said, "Well, you didn't." So staff members weren't very nice sometimes. Most of them were nice though. What this facility could improve on was having handicapped rooms and showers. They need to upgrade those.

Thank you for taking the time to review Senior Commons. Despite our best efforts to meet residents’ needs, there are times when some residents require a level of care and services that we can not provide. I am sorry that you felt that your mother was ‘kicked out.’ We always make every effort to allow residents to age in place ~ including transporting residents to a larger shower so that they can get the assistance that they need. Please feel free to contact Senior Commons directly if there were specific staff that were not ‘nice.’ We expect our employees to treat residents as if they were family and if there are specific complaints, we would definitely want to address them.

Independent Living Reviews for Senior Commons at Powder Mill

January 31, 2018

By Tammy

Senior Commons at Powder Mill was very friendly and clean. However, we weren't impressed with the price for what we were going to be getting. Also there weren't a lot of activities. My sister and one of my brothers did not feel the atmosphere was for my mom, but we thought it was a nice community. They had a salon and an activity room. The staff was very nice.

Thank you for visiting Senior Commons at Powder Mill. We appreciate your comments about the community and team. However, we are disappointed that you didn’t leave with an understanding of the value we strive to offer ~ especially because of our unique FOX Optimal Living program. A new Activities Director started in December ~ and we are excited by the changes she is making to our calendar and programming. Our goal is to create a warm, friendly and inviting home for our residents. If you haven’t already selected a community for mom, I hope you’ll schedule a second visit and come see us again!

Memory Care Reviews for Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Costs for Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Photos of Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Services and Amenities of Senior Commons at Powder Mill

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Housing Extra: Standard Private Rooms, Large Private Rooms, Standard Suites, Large Suites

• Features Extra: Fitness Room/Gym, Library, W/D In Apt.

• Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Staff Patient Ratio: 25 To 1 Personal Care; 5 To 1 Memory Care
  • Pets: Yes

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• Licenses: Dept. of Public Welfare Personal Care License
  • State Licenses: 332100 - PERSONAL CARE HOMES

About Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Senior Commons at Powder Mill provides assistance to residents in a safe and caring environment while providing family members with the comfort of knowing that their loved one is being professionally cared for and is enjoying life.

The care and support of the staff at Senior Commons at Powder Mill allows residents the opportunity to live life to its fullest. They receive the extra care and assistance they need with daily tasks, monitoring of their health levels and nutritional needs and support for their hobbies and interests with a full calendar of activities.

RESIDENTIAL CARE AMENITIES

All private and semi-private suites come with the following amenities:

• Room service breakfast served daily
  • Two restaurant-style meals and evening snack served daily
  • Laundry, linen and housekeeping services
  • Daily bed making
  • Daily social, recreational and devotional activities and programs
  • Transportation to doctors' appointments and group outings
  • All utilities (except phone)
  • Cable TV (except premium channels)
  • Mail and newspaper delivered to room
  • Kitchen pantry, dining room and lounge on each wing
  • Spacious activity and dining room
  • Outdoor courtyards
  • Secure, 24-hour monitoring of hallways and social areas
  • Personal care assistance (4 levels)
  • In-house geriatric specialist appointments
  • Medication assistance
  • 24-hour nursing personnel on duty
  • 24-hour emergency response system

Carefree. Secure. Luxurious. Welcome to Independent Living at Senior Commons at Powder Mill. Here, you'll discover everything you desire for a comfortable, enjoyable retirement.

Choose from our one and two-bedroom apartments that feature spacious floor plans, easily accommodating your furnishings. Each apartment has its own washer and dryer and generous closet and storage space. The monthly rent includes an impressive package of services including two meals per day, weekly housekeeping, events and activities, transportation to doctors' appointments and group outings and more!

All one and two bedroom apartments come with the following amenities:

• Daily continental, self-serve breakfast
  • One meal served daily in dining room
  • Weekly housekeeping services
  • Regularly scheduled activities, outings and programs
  • Courtesy transportation to doctors' appointments, grocery and shopping
  • All utilities (except phone)
  • Cable TV (except premium channels)
  • Washer and dryer inside apartment
  • Generous closets and storage space
  • Beauty salon and barbershop
  • Library and game room
  • Senior Commons at Powder Mill Wellness Center"”by appointment
  • Call system for assistance and security

Senior Commons at Powder Mill has a warm feeling of "home" when you enter the community. We serve a hot breakfast in your room daily and have smaller, more intimate size neighborhood dining rooms for socializing during your lunch and dinner meals. Residents have the opportunity to age in place as we provide independent living, personal care services as well as two levels of memory care services.

Map of Senior Commons at Powder Mill