Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

Reviews of Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

October 30, 2014

By Lovely Lady4

I can say that when you walk in, Emeritus is beautiful. It is really clean, green, and pretty, and it isn’t as expensive. The vacancies get taken up pretty quick. I happened to be there at mealtimes, and the food looked really good. Their music and entertainment happens in the actual dining room, and their rooms aren’t as nice. They seem to really care about the people that they work with; they are super caring as well. I would say it’s smaller, so there are fewer residents.

January 31, 2014

By Leslie27

Emeritus at Oswego Spring was the facility where my mom was at before she passed away. We chose this place because it's convenient to where I live so it's easy for me to get to. The people who worked there were all very friendly and kind and went out of their way to make us comfortable. I really like the people who worked there a lot. The rooms are very nice. Our room was spacious and you could choose different sizes. Their dining room is very nice looking and it’s comfortable. They serve variety of food and seemed like good cooking.

January 31, 2014

By Cari2

I was impressed with Emeritus at Oswego Springs. The rooms were lovely and the staff was pretty friendly. They had a couple of different eating areas and they appeared to have a lot of activities available.

November 20, 2013

We choose Emeritus for our parents because they have a very nice facility. We are probably only about four to five miles away from that facility. All the people working there that we meet are very friendly. It is close to us. Also, the room is very large and that is good for us. They have a spa, a beauty shop and I believe they do have a lot of activities.

April 16, 2013

Oswego's staff has been very helpful, friendly and accommodating. I got my mom a studio apartment. It's a one-bedroom, kitchen facility without a stove, which is okay because my mom can't cook anyway. The food is very good. I put my mother in a palace comparatively. The atmosphere there is very pleasant. It feels like home. The facility is an easy location for me. I would recommend it to others. I would go there if need be.

August 10, 2011

By 3w5tLawn

My father stayed in Oswego Springs for almost nine months. I would have never believed he made it as long as he did, because he is a very difficult person to live with. To the credit of the staff, they were amazingly tolerant and forgiving when my father was obstinate and negative. The facility was going through a change of ownership during this time which had me worried unnecessarily about the stability of the company. I personally found the staff to be likeable and pleasant. Because we were not paying a lot of money I didn't expect the services and amenities to be above average. In the apartment, the refrigerator didn't close properly and the air conditioner was hard to control when we moved in and had to be repaired (which took months). In the dining room the food wasn't very good--especially dinner. But the decor is nice and the facility is clean and safe and in a great neighborhood. Parking is limited and can be a challenge. They offer some fun activities and donuts right before dinner (?) They also have a happy hour with adult beverages and over the holidays I saw the 'Springs become quite festive with caroling and parties. They have a big screen TV and a beautiful grand piano. Oswego Springs did a great job of taking care of my father for the short time he was there. I give the staff an A, the facilities a B, and the food a C.

Questions about Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of the residents is probably around 85 years old. We have quite a few younger than this, and a few older but this would probably be the average if not slightly younger. The residents really enjoy happy hour, visiting with each other, learning new things, and showing off their many talents (art, music, stories from their past working lives, etc).

What programs or activities does Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We most dynamite activities directors I have seen. She does huge celebrations complete with games, decor, and food for holidays and special events. We have a monthly veterans group. We have a variety of crafts for all interests including woodworking. We offer technology classes & mini golf. We do educational presentations, trivia, and brain games. We provide one on ones for virtual visits with families or just companionship. We do snack carts, ice cream carts, happy hours. When it is not COVID we have outside entertainers, but we do have a piano and several musically inclined residents, and sometimes do karaoke. We have several residents who have "jobs" within the community for example one resident runs the resident store, and another writes the monthly newsletter called The Brookdale Blab. We do movies with popcorn from our popcorn machine. All activity spaces are centrally located right off the elevator, and residents are involved in calendar planning to accommodate their interests.

What places are near Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Grocery: Fred Meyer, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, Many Gas Stations, Safeway, Albertsons, Dollar Tree Shopping: Washington Square Mall only 6 miles away Restaurants: within 2 miles we have a family owned American diner, Mexican food, BBQ, Chinese, Sports Bar/Pub, Mediterranean, Vegan, pizza parlors, Thai, Italian, Seafood and several fast food chains Churches: There are TONS of churches of various denominations within a few miles Hospitals: OHSU and St. Vincents within 7 miles We are a 15 minute drive to ZOO, nearby bowling alley, movie theater, parks,

What transportation services does Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland offer to assisted living residents?

When COVID is not occurring we provide for appointments several times throughout the week

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Director of Dining is from Texas and has been with Brookdale 7 years. She brings her Southern hospitality with her and truly treats residents like family. She does special requests, and they get to help make the menu and give feedback at their menu chats. She diversifies the menu so it does not get boring, and will put someones special recipe on the menu and name it after them (IE; Alice's Chicken Salad). She does very special menus for holidays and has the residents vote on what will be served. During COVID she offers 3 choices for lunch and dinner, but normally there are 5 options to chose from. She can accommodate many special diets if needed, including texture modified. The food is excellent here!

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland offer to assisted living residents?

Our doors lock in the evening so individuals have to be let in if there is no concierge to screen. All residents have their own locks on their doors. All residents have pendents to call for help in case of an emergency. We can put residents on more regular checks if needed. Hallways are all short and community is very easy to navigate with wide halls and railings, as well as areas to sit and rest. Our clinical team does a daily review of call lights to see if anyone is calling more frequently, and investigates things like falls to help prevent them from occurring. During COVID we have a lot of extra safety in place- which we can discuss in detail with families!

How does Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We call all families once per month during what we call our family connect calls. During these calls we update families and ask them if they have any questions, concerns, etc. to share. We call families immediately if there is any change with their loved one, and we send out newsletters and E-mail correspondence regarding any changes at the community. We also help set up virtual visits with family on our I-pad. Families are welcome to call our team anytime if they have questions in between our regular communications.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland during daytime and nighttime hours?

We offer variable staffing based on acuity of care within the community.

If Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept both and there is a walking trail surrounded by trees that loop around the community where residents will walk their dogs.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We do in-services with the RN monthly, and we assign monthly online learning to the team members with tests at the end-

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland provide to protect residents who wander?

We are Assisted Living only. If we see dementia start to advance to the point of wandering we communicate with the family to do a smooth transition to our sister community that is exclusively memory care

Photos of Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

About Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Oswego Springs Portland