Gladstone is located in scenic Clackamas County, Oregon. Although it’s just 12 miles south of Portland, the state’s largest city, it retains a pleasant small-town feel. The community is home to approximately 12,000 residents, including 2,090 seniors who represent an above-average percentage of the population.

Seniors aged 65 and older are more likely to require long-term care. Assisted living services can also provide peace of mind for healthy, independent adults by giving them access to medication reminders and one-on-one support any time it’s needed. These facilities are more flexible and more affordable than skilled nursing facilities, which provide 24-hour medical care. Locally, seniors can expect to pay $4,975 per month for assisted living, which is higher than the national average but similar to other parts of the state.

In this guide, seniors will find information about the benefits and drawbacks of living in Gladstone, along with information about assisted living prices locally and across the region. The guide concludes with a directory of local agencies that connect older adults to supportive services to help them age as independently as possible.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Gladstone, OR

Somerset Assisted Living

8360 Cason Rd, Gladstone, OR, 97027

My uncle will be moving into Somerset Assisted Living. I was impressed with it. It seemed very clean and I know that it’s OK because my 90-year-old aunt is there. The room is nice and large, but we di … (read more)

Brookdale River Valley Tualatin

19200 SW 65th Avenue, Tualatin, OR, 97062

Located in the heart of Tualatin, Oregon, Brookdale River Valley Tualatin offers assisted living options and memory care for seniors. This facility is touted by residents and their loved ones as havin … (read more)

Homewood Heights Assisted Living Community

17999 SE River Road, Milwaukie, OR, 97267

Homewood Heights Assisted Living Community is located in Milwaukie, Oregon, minutes from the Willamette River and just a short drive from assorted shops and restaurants. Visitors say that the facility … (read more)

Sellwood Senior Living

8517 SE 17th Avenue, Portland, OR, 97202

Centrally located just 4 miles from downtown Portland, Elmcroft of Sellwood is tucked into Portland’s southeast neighborhood of Sellwood. This community is known for its close proximity to charming co … (read more)

Miramont Pointe

11520 SE Sunnyside Rd, Clackamas, OR, 97015

The staff provides good care of my dad. He has lived at Miramont for 14 years. As his eyesight and hearing have declined, the care has increased. When he was able to be more active, he enjoyed the out … (read more)

McLoughlin Place Senior Living

1153 Molalla Avenue, Oregon City, OR, 97045

My mother has been in this facility for several years. Over the last few weeks, she is very ill and is on hospice. I am so very pleased and comfortable with the caregivers and the care she is receiv … (read more)

Gilman Park Assisted Living

2205 Gilman Drive, Oregon City, OR, 97045

My father has moved into Gilman Park Assisted Living. We chose it because the location is closer between my brother and me. I like that the residents and staff all appear to be having a good time when … (read more)

Oswego Place by Bonaventure

17450 Pilkington Rd., Lake Oswego, OR, 97035

I couldn’t get my window closed this evening. It is on a busy street and has a sidewalk about 10 feet from the building. The windows were being washed today and they left the screens off. I called to … (read more)

MorningStar Assisted Living & Memory Care of Happy Valley

14391 SE Princeton, Happy Valley, OR, 97015

We’re really happy with MorningStar Assisted Living & Memory Care of Happy Valley. It’s really good. The facility is beautiful and clean. The staff is amazing. They are efficient, friendly, and qu … (read more)

Tanner Spring Assisted Living Community

23000 Horizon Dr, West Linn, OR, 97068

I did a tour. It was a wonderful experience. The people were nice. I can’t remember the lady I spoke with who toured me around, but she is not a regular. I think she was the director. What I like … (read more)

Arcadia Senior Living

13031 SE Foster Road, Portland, OR, 97236

I have a family member who lives at Arcadia Senior Living. I appreciate the care and support that they have given my family member. I was at a loss of where I could take my family member because all … (read more)

Elite Care at Oatfield Estates

4444 SE Oatfield Hill Rd., Milwaukie, OR, 97267

We were very happy with the care my mother-in-law got at Oatfield in her last three years. She needed something comprehensible and not overwhelming and the small house setting (12 apartments per hou … (read more)

Clackamas View Senior Living

14550 SE Vista Lane, Milwaukie, OR, 97267

I recently visited this senior living. Its a lovely quiet environment. The staff seems well trained and ready to answer all our questions. The residents looks happy. The lovely thing about this place … (read more)

Greenridge Estates at Mountain Park

4 Greenridge Dr., Lake Oswego, OR, 97035

I’m currently living at Greenridge Estates at Mountain Park. We have been having a lot of different trips and that kind of thing. It’s a really good place. I appreciate the staff here and the amenitie … (read more)

Meadows Courtyard

13637 Garden Meadow Drive, Oregon City, OR, 97045

Senior Haven

12140 SE Foster Rd, Portland, OR, 97266

My family member had been moved in for a month when they suffered a major medical event. Was sent back to facility after a short hospital stay. Did not receive meds at appropriate times. Was not check … (read more)

Princeton Village Assisted Living

14370 SE Oregon Trail Drive, Clackamas, OR, 97015

My disabled Mom had maggots and flies in her room, so needless to say the housekeeping is non existent. They find a way to blame the resident for all of the staff’s shortcomings.

The Forum at Town Center

8709 SE Causey Ave, Happy Valley, OR, 97086

Town Center Village is located in the Portland suburb of Happy Valley, about 10 miles southeast of Oregon’s largest city. Reviews mention the personal attention given by staff as a major drawing point … (read more)

2016

The Springs at Carman Oaks

3800 Carman Dr., Lake Oswego, OR, 97035

The Springs at Carman Oaks has memory care and assisted living. I thought it was a nice facility and it seemed like a good space and good staff. It wasn’t too large. I really didn’t have a problem wit … (read more)

2012

The Springs at Clackamas Woods

14404 SE Webster Rd, Milwaukie, OR, 97267

My parents are at The Springs at Clackamas Woods. They’re very good. They’re #1, top of the line. If they had an outbreak, we would be contacted immediately and let us know what the steps were. They’r … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Gladstone

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in Oregon. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gladstone

In Oregon, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities and special care units are licensed by the Community-Based Care division of the Oregon Department of Human Services. This agency is responsible for ensuring facilities comply with all applicable health and safety regulations.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gladstone

• Nearby Portland is a member of AARP’s Network of Age-Friendly State and Communities, which means more senior-oriented services and amenities are available in the local area. Clackamas County provides a comprehensive array of senior services, including transportation, companionship and housing assistance.
  • Gladstone is a desirable suburban area, although the community’s cost of living is higher than average due to its proximity to Portland. Overall, residents pay 22% more for essentials compared to the typical American, which may impact retirees and others who depend on a fixed income. However, health care costs here are lower than in the typical U.S. city, which may benefit seniors with chronic health conditions.
  • Quality health care options abound in Gladstone and the Portland metropolitan area. Local facilities include the Providence Portland Medical Center, OHSU Hospital, Sunnyside Medical Center and VA Portland Health Care System. As a bonus, medical care costs about 15% less than average.
  • Despite Gladstone’s proximity to a major metropolitan area, it’s safer than most parts of the state. In 2019, the community reported about 19.4 incidents per 10,000 residents. Assisted living facilities provide a variety of internal and external security measures to protect residents’ safety.
  • One of the area’s drawbacks is its poor air quality. Clackamas County received a D rating for ozone pollution from the American Lung Association. Its air quality is lower than the national average, which is more likely to affect seniors and individuals who have asthma, COPD, heart conditions or respiratory ailments. However, assisted living facilities generally provide indoor activities year-round to accommodate residents with health issues.
  • Gladstone’s pleasant climate is another plus for the area. Although winters can be harsh with 14 inches of snow and average lows in the mid-30s, summers are mild with highs around 80 degrees. The area receives more rain and fewer sunny days than the typical U.S. city. Most assisted living facilities provide individual climate controls to keep residents comfortable, regardless of the weather.

Paying for Assisted Living in Gladstone

At $4,975 per month, the cost of assisted living in Gladstone is slightly lower than the state median, but it’s higher than in other parts of the country.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living in Gladstone costs $475 more than the national median of $4,500, but it’s $70 cheaper than the statewide average. Overall, assisted living prices are fairly consistent across Oregon. Seniors seeking more affordable care may opt for assisted living in Corvallis or Albany, where facilities charge $4,485 and $4,530, respectively. In Salem, the state capital, seniors pay $5,500, and Eugene has the highest rates in the state at $5,623 per month.

$4975

Albany

$5623

Eugene

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

The cost of long-term care varies significantly, depending on the services received. Adult day health care is the cheapest senior care option in Gladstone at $2,708 per month. Assisted living costs more but is still affordable at $4,975, and it includes room and board. In-home care and home health care both cost $7,146 per month, which is about $2,200 more than assisted living. Seniors who require skilled nursing pay $10,661 per month for a semiprivate room in a nursing home.

$7146

Adult Day Health Care

$4975

Assisted Living Facility

$10661

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

Note: Data for Gladstone was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Portland, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gladstone

Eligible seniors in the Gladstone area may be eligible for financial assistance with assisted living and related expenses through Clackamas County Social Services. Medicaid Long-Term Care services are provided through the State of Oregon for Gladstone residents and the Senior Citizens Council also provides financial assistance for seniors requiring special equipment and services.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oregon page.

Paying for Assisted Living in Oregon

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Gladstone

The following directory represents a sampling of the resources that are available in the local area. Veterans groups, faith-based ministries and grassroots nonprofits also serve residents in Gladstone.

Resource

Contact

Description

Gladstone’s senior center is open weekdays from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. It provides a range of activities and services to enhance seniors' health and well-being. Hot lunches are available Tuesday through Thursday, and fun activities are scheduled throughout the week. Seniors can visit the center to attend painting classes, card games, craft circles, workouts and wellness clinics.

This organization is the Aging and Disability Resource Connection for seniors, veterans, disabled adults and low-income families in the Gladstone area. It provides information about long-term care, functional needs assessments and available community services. The center also offers local bus trips and information about other resources, such as free tax preparation assistance and government benefits checkups.

Clackamas County offers an array of social services for older adults, including Medicare insurance counseling, caregiver support, companionship visits and volunteer opportunities through the Senior and Retired Volunteer Program. Free money management services are available to help seniors manage their finances, and the county can direct them to other resources based on their needs.

Residents aged 62 and older qualify for a 50% discount on credit classes offered at Clackamas Community College or can audit classes for free. Seniors are also welcome to sign up for Clackamas Community Education courses offered at the Gladstone Community School and other facilities. Classes range from tai chi and Zumba to guitar, painting and foreign languages.

Oregon’s long-term care ombudsman is an impartial advocate seniors can reach out to if they have a question about long-term care or residential alternatives. These specially trained counselors provide information and impartial advice to families who are selecting a facility. They also interact with long-term care residents and accept confidential complaints.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gladstone

Gladstone Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in Oregon are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oregon