Home to renowned rose gardens and the Trailblazers, Portland is home to over 645,000 residents, with adults 65 and older comprising 12.8% of the population. Several top-ranking medical facilities and programs are here to serve seniors, including OHSU HospitalLegacy Emanuel Medical Center and Providence Health & Services. The prices that nursing home residents here pay for care is higher than the national average, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. The average cost for a semiprivate room in Portland is $10,083 per month, compared to the U.S. median of $7,756.

Outside of hospitals, nursing homes provide the most sophisticated and comprehensive care available for people living with increasingly severe illness or frailty. These highly regulated facilities offer personal assistance with bathing and eating in addition to skilled nursing care, medical monitoring and a wide range of therapies. As a result, nursing homes are generally much more expensive than other senior accommodations. Home health care or assisted living communities can offer more affordable services that may be equally effective for individuals who do not yet require a high level of medical care.

This guide discusses typical costs of nursing home care in Portland, nearby cities and the nation. It also discusses average fees for other types of senior care and local resources designed to support seniors living at home.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Portland, OR

Willamette View

13145 SE RIVER ROAD, Portland, OR, 97222

My family and I visited Willamette View because it was the highest rated assisted living center in all of Oregon. We thought it would be bigger than it actually was. There were only 6 beds and the fac … (read more)

Gracelen Terrace Nf

10948 S.E. BOISE, Portland, OR, 97266

My mother in law is a resident at Gracelon Terrace Nursing home. They are located at 10948 S.E. Boise in Portland, OR. They currently have around 80 residents. Each time my husband and I have gone … (read more)

Marquis Centennial

725 SE 202nd Avenue, Portland, OR, 97233

The staff at Marquis Care at Centennial was very caring. Mom received a lot of rehab treatment, so she was able to come home in three weeks. She was in a two-bed ward. The food was pretty bland but ma … (read more)

Marquis Autumn Hills

6630 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy., Portland, OR, 97225

Rose Villa

13505 Se River Road, Portland, OR, 97222

Robison Jewish Health Center

6125 SW Boundary Street, Portland, OR, 97221

Mom was in the long term care facility for 8 months. The staff was so loving and caring. It was hard because we were not able to visit due to covid but the staff did everything possible to set up port … (read more)

Marquis Piedmont

319 NE RUSSET, Portland, OR, 97211

My mother has lived at marquis for over a year. We have been very happy with her care. On Fri 5/2/2020 we received a call that she “is now actively passing” (not what we are ready for) Due to the … (read more)

Harbor Care Reedwood

3540 SE FRANCIS STREET, Portland, OR, 97202

From what I saw when we went in, Prestige Care of Reedwood was a clean facility, and it didn’t have any smell. I had mother in one of these places, and some of them are really run down. But this one, … (read more)

Avamere Crestview of Portland

6530 SW 30th Avenue, Portland, OR, 97201

My sister was at Crestview for the month of May. The staff was wonderful. The CNA’s were extremely kind and compassionate. My sister counts some of them as her dear friends. The nursing and doctor … (read more)

Lawrence Convalescent Center

812 SE 48TH AVENUE, Portland, OR, 97215

I visited Lawrence Convalescent Center for my mother-in-law. I was really impressed with it for what it was. I was very impressed, but they didn’t want to take my mother-in-law’s incontinence. The fac … (read more)

Secora Health and Rehabilitation of Cascadia

10435 SE Cora Street, Portland, OR, 97266

Trinity Mission Health & Rehabilitation is a very clean facility. My mother’s room is a little small; in fact, there are three people in her room. The staff seems OK. They play cards and had a T … (read more)

Gateway Care and Retirement

39 Ne 102 Nd Avenue, Portland, OR, 97216

Cascade Terrace Nursing Center

5601 SE 122nd Avenue, Portland, OR, 97236

My parents are both staying at the Cascade Terrace Nursing Center right now, and my overall experience is good. The staff seems very friendly and responsive when I call. I’m not able to go into this f … (read more)

Laurelhurst Village

3060 SE Stark Street, Portland, OR, 97214

The facility seemed nice but the care of the patient was terrible.!! Except the rehab people that came in. Never responded in a reasonable time fashion or check in to let you know they’d be with you s … (read more)

Healthcare at Foster Creek

6003 SE 136TH AVENUE, Portland, OR, 97236

When my brother first entered HCFC we were concerned about housekeeping. And the rooms are barely tolerable frankly. it’s not what I think it should be. The thing that matters the most is that he i … (read more)

Care Center East Hlth

11325 NE WEIDLER, Portland, OR, 97220

We have found a place for them, but I don’t think we are going to keep them there for very long because it is too expensive. It is a nursing home called Care Center East, and it is for my brother-in-l … (read more)

West Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

5701 SW Multnomah Boulevard, Portland, OR, 97219

The room was ok. Basic. View of parking lot and construction. I think it had been unused for a while; the toilet was filthy when I arrived. 2/3 of the room was constantly shadowed even in bright dayli … (read more)

Friendship Health Center

3320 SE HOLGATE, Portland, OR, 97202

Friendship Health Center was not very good. The room was very tiny and very hot. My husband did not gain any weight. He came home worse than when he went there.

Fernhill Estates

5737 NE 37TH AVENUE, Portland, OR, 97211

Horrible horrible facility. Stinks. Food awful. Ancient building and it shows. Freezing in winter. Saran Wrap on windows in patient rooms to “ keep it warmer” Staff forgot to reorder my mother’ … (read more)

Cornerstone Care Option

12640 SE BUSH, Portland, OR, 97236

Nursing Home Costs in Portland, Oregon

In Portland, the average monthly cost of a nursing facility semiprivate room is $10,083. The average cost for a private room is $12,349.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Comparing average monthly costs of nursing home semiprivate rooms across Oregon and the United States, this care in Portland costs almost as much as the state’s median price of $10,114. However, it is $2,300 more expensive than the national median.

Nursing home care in Portland costs almost the same as care in Albany, which shares Oregon’s state average. Typical fees in Corvallis are $10,190 per month, about $100 higher than in facilities here. Prices go up slightly in Eugene, where seniors pay $10,235. Salem nursing homes charge an average of $10,646 per month for nursing home care, over $560 more than a typical Portland nursing home.

$10083

Eugene

$10646

Salem

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Comparing nursing home costs with costs for other types of senior care is an important step in determining the best placement for an elderly loved one. Adult day health care is the most affordable option, costing $3,510 per month on average. Assisted living runs about $1,300 more, at $4,831. Home care and home health care add up to $1,000 more in expenses at $5,815 and $5,911, respectively. Nursing home care in Portland is the priciest by far. Shared rooms have a monthly median price of $10,083, and private rooms are $12,349.

$5815

Adult day health care

$4831

Assisted living

$10083

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12349

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Portland, Oregon

Free Resources for Seniors in Portland, Oregon

Many Portland seniors depend on the following resources to maintain their independence. These programs help delay entry into a nursing facility or other senior care community. They also help elders become more familiar with nursing home-level care, facilitating a smoother transition into an institutional setting when it’s necessary.

ResourceContactService
Multnomah County Aging & Disability(503) 988-3646The Multnomah County Aging & Disability office is the aging and disability resource connection for area seniors. This 24-hour helpline and assistance program links older residents with government assistance, guardianship services, family caregiver support and culturally specific resources.
YWCA of Greater Portland Senior Services(503) 294-7400The YWCA’s Senior Services Program educates and advocates for seniors ages 60 years and older and for caregivers, with special emphasis on supporting low-income individuals. Services include information and referrals, care management, insurance counseling, legal assistance and caregiver respite. The Senior Services team connects clients with partner agencies that provide personal care, adult day care and other assistance.
Impact NW Senior Guardianship Assistance Program (GAP)(503) 294-7445Impact NW is a nonprofit dedicated to serving vulnerable citizens. Its Guardian Assistance Program (GAP) offers case management and advocacy to help otherwise self-sufficient elders ages 60 and older remain in their homes for as long as possible. GAP also offers money management and transportation services to promote independence and engagement within the community.
Senior Law Project (SLP)(503) 224-4086The SLP is a volunteer initiative administered by the Legal Aid Services of Oregon through senior centers in Multnomah County. Participating attorneys specialize in elder law and can assist with Medicaid, guardianships and institutional care issues. They provide free 30-minute consultations for seniors ages 60 and older and their spouses, and qualifying cases may be handled free of charge as well.
Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO)(503) 484-6371IRCO Senior Programs help elderly immigrants, refugees and mainstream citizens delay out-of-home placement with direct language- and culture-specific social services. The staff provides and coordinates assistance with options counseling and case management.