Independence Village of Avon Lake

Reviews of Independence Village of Avon Lake

Assisted Living Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

August 25, 2021

By Deidre

I looked at Independence Village of Avon Lake. They have apartments in all three levels, assisted living, independent living, and memory care because they're all connected. You can not tell where one ends and the other one starts. Three communities actually intermingled, which was very appealing because my dad is much more mentally alert and able to carry on conversations. He can't live fully independently because he has some memory issues as far as medication taking and some personal hygiene. He's not allowed to use a stove anymore because his daughter says no, but he is much more independent than my mother. My mother is definitely at an assisted living need right this second. She has short-term memory loss, she does not remember to take showers, and she does not remember to take her meds. Because they live together still, and they still take care of each other, she is physically in better shape than my dad. My dad is physically worse off, my mom is mentally worse off, and they take care of each other. They cannot live independently necessarily, but they don't need memory care at this moment. We like the fact that because memory care was available and it's literally just through a set of doors and they'd still be able to use the same outside patios and the same other stimulation, that it wouldn't be that big of a change for her when the time comes, and they would still be able to live together. They would never have to live apart, which is the best thing. The facility was sunny. The apartment was the largest apartment we looked at. Every room design was bigger than anywhere else we looked at. The assisted living apartment was bigger than where they are now by 200 feet. It was a lot bigger and the amenities were more than they have now. The amenities were shared with assisted living and independent living, and they would take their memory care people over to the dining hall, to the outside concert hall, and the hair salon. All the places were bigger and roomier and just felt more open. They had just gotten back from the local winery when I got there. They had taken two busloads of residents to the local winery, and that was a mixture of assisted and independent living. They had things that my parents would be more interested in. They had game nights, they had a knitting group, and they had a huge library, and my parents both loved to read. They had puzzle tables, which my dad loves puzzles. They had a walking path that was enclosed so that my mom wouldn't wander off. They could be outside a lot more often. They had arts and crafts show that came to the facility. They had set up booths in their parking lot. They have another one coming up for Oktoberfest. My mother would be able to set up a booth with all her knitting, crocheting, and projects that she's made and sell them to other people. Outside people could come in and go to these fairs and stuff. There were still things that my parents would be actively involved in and enough of the things that they like to do close enough that they'd be able to do them. Everybody I met was very friendly and very knowledgeable. Some of the team members that guide people around are independent living residents that show assisted and memory care residents around, so they're working within their age bracket. The only thing is that it is about 30 minutes from me. I had a pizza there the other night and it was delicious.

August 21, 2021

By Sandy Mc

Mom has lived here for about 15 years or so, and the love and caring she receives from the entire staff has added YEARS to her life! She just celebrated her 103rd BIRTHDAY, and Independence Village stopped at nothing to make her feel like a Queen!

June 27, 2021

By Karen2

The apartment at Independence Village of Avon Lake that I looked at was a decent size. Everything was clean. The residents that I saw seem to be relatively happy. The staff gave me a menu for the week, and it seemed to be a complete meal.

September 26, 2020

By bobkimball

My Mother was a resident for 7 1/2 years. We could not have been happier with Independence Village. Although my Mom was was a resident on the assisted living side, she was welcomed warmly on the Independent side. And had unaccompanied access to both sides in her wheelchair. She had friends there and she was treated like family on both sides of the facility. Additionally, this place has a unique ability to maintain staff. There are nurses and aides who worked with my Mom for 7 years. There is nothing more comforting than knowing that my mom recognized the people who provided her with daily care. It was also important to me, her son, to know the people who lovingly cared for my Mom every day. Whenever I had questions, there was someone who provided answers. I had contact information for everyone and knew that they were doing what they could to provide answers. I live in Atlanta, and I know that she was happy and well cared for. They communicated with me whenever there was a need. The daily activities and social events offered were more than I hoped for.

September 16, 2020

By MJandPJ

All of our parents live here in Independent, Assisted & Memory Care. We were so delighted that Emily & the staff at Independence Village in Avon Lake helped them watch a live stream of their grandson's wedding in St. Louis. They found a way for them to watch together, provided flowers, sparkling grape juice & even a small wedding cake to help them feel a part of the day. They were thrilled! During these difficult times, the staff has gone above and beyond to help our parents stay connected. This was such a special occasion for our family and everyone was so delighted that they could be a part of it.

September 14, 2020

By Hojosam

My mother has lived in the Assisted Living section of Independence Village in Avon Lake, OH for over 5 years. My father lived there for 3 1/2 years until his passing. We chose that facility because of their comfortable, apartment-like units, their inclusive pet policy, and ability to manage my dad's colostomy. The later issue eliminated many other facilities and I. V. handled it very well. We find the majority of the staff kind and were touched by their sympathetic reaction to my dad's passing. The facility offers a good variety of activities with our favorite being the monthly Sunday brunch which we enjoyed pre-Covid. In addition, the landscaping is attractive, and we have spent a lot of time in the courtyard which features floral containers as well as herb gardens. In conclusion, I believe Independence Village has handled the shut-down due to Covid as well as can be expected. I now enjoy weekly outdoor visits with my mom and they were helpful in organizing a socially distanced 97th birthday celebration for her.

September 30, 2019

By Duke G

Transitioning to assisted living is stressful for all involved. The mental health that the team at Independence Village has provided in this process has been priceless and validated our decision to join them I am the son of parents that are 85-ish years young. I live out of the area area and knew that my parents could potentially need the entire suite of services that Independence Village provides. My parents have been residents now for a while and the decision of selecting Independence Village has been reinforced in both good news (“I love playing volleyball (yes volleyball) on Mondays”) and not so good news (hospital visits are unfortunately inevitable-but the Cleveland Clinic is right up the street). There are folks on the team that deserve a special mention, and I know i’ll forget people .so will just say that everyone from Mark (the face of Ind Village) to Tommy (the driver) have made the Independence Village experience an excellent one for all involved.

September 22, 2019

By MEJC

The administration and staff show a willingness and effort to meet the needs and concerns of the residents.

September 13, 2019

By Stephanie W

My dad moved into Independence Village of Avon Lake a couple of years ago, when he was needing a loving environment that would keep him safe, well-fed, entertained, loved and as independent as possible. He has is own room, decorated with his treasured memorabilia, and he is cared for each and every day with respect, dignity and love. As he's needed more help, it's been there. I believe my dad's quality of life has dramatically improved by being at Independence Village. My sister and I, along with many life long friends, visit him regularly, and my mom sees him everyday. It is easy to come and go, and it enables his loved ones to get to know his caregivers as well. There are daily activities for the residents, and there are many special celebrations that occur surrounding holidays, birthdays, and some for no reason at all, other than to provide fun. There are also excursions for ice cream and other treats. I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the food. The chef prepares delicious offerings, and there are choices to be made. I think meal times are probably my dad's favorite part of the day. If your loved one is ready for TLC outside the home, Independence Village offers an alternative that is as close as you can get to caring for your "loved senior" by yourself, but without having to face the challenges that make it hard to do yourself.

August 21, 2017

By Karen

Independence Village of Avon Lake was beautiful, and people were very nice, but it's too expensive. They had two-bedroom apartments that seemed a bit small. It had really nice things, and the people seemed happy. The guy who gave us the tour showed us everything, then sat us down and discussed the prices, which I think should have been done beforehand. It wasn't bad; we didn't hate the place. The facilities were very pretty, and the dining room was really nice.

Hello Karen, We are thankful to get your feedback. We are also happy to hear that you found the community to be beautiful and that our employees were lovely. We offer different personalized pricing packages that are designed with each residents’ specific needs in mind. We also offer a la carte pricing on certain services, so that they are available if needed. If you have any other questions, please call our community’s main number and ask to speak with our Community Specialist. Thank you!

December 05, 2016

By Joan M.634528

We went to Independence Village for a very good tour. That was high class but too expensive. It was a very nice place and very clean. They were very informative when they talked to us. They had a lot going on there. It had a library and an exercise room.

November 28, 2016

By Nancy033453

Independence Village is very nice and comparable in price to all the other assisted living type places we looked at. The food was excellent, and the rooms were pretty nice-sized. The staff was very good and friendly. They offered us a complimentary lunch; it was very good, and they have a real chef. Even if you come as a visitor, it's only $4 for lunch, and you get to pick from a couple different things.

January 01, 2016

By loving daughter20

Independence Village of Avon Lake was very nice. They had two dining areas. My parents liked it. They should have a little more facility for their gym or physical fitness. It's pleasant and comfortable, and it had a lot to offer.

December 20, 2015

By Michelle117719250

We liked Independence Village of Avon Lake because it's not too big and not too small. They had wonderful staff. I liked their decorations because it's homey and not too old-fashioned. The people that live there are not too old. There's a variety of room options. The main dining hall is restaurant-style, and you pick off a menu. There are a variety of options, but there are always staple items in case you don't like what the menu has to offer that day.

June 20, 2015

My mom stayed for rehab at Independence Village of Avon Lake. It was a nice, big area, and it was clean. The staff was great. The nurses were attentive. It was very nice. She had her hair done and her nails done, and the food was great. They had a lot of activities. She didn't want to do a whole lot of activities, but she does rehab.

May 12, 2015

We moved my mom to Independence Village, and we like it very much. She is going to a transition stage, but I think it is going to work out very nicely. One of the things that striked us right away is that there is no smell and just how pleasantly it is decorated. They have a nice lobby. There is a library on the side, a playroom, and a little meeting room. The dining area is like a restaurant. They have so much to do, and they have two different calendars. You can do things on the independent side or on the assisted living side. It's your choice on what activities you want to do. The people working there are very friendly. We are satisfied with their services. She has a nice window in her room. We moved a bunch of stuff in, and we were surprised that it actually worked out very nicely.

April 29, 2013

By berniee2000

They only had a single bedroom and Mom and dad needed a two-bedroom two-bath. They needed to have an approval from the state to do that and that can't be done overnight and they got that done very quickly. Unfortunately since that time, our relationship has deteriorated, between me and Independence Village. One of the reasons is, one of the aide that comes in, she's very efficient, she's like a drill sergeant. My mom is frail and tiny, four foot eight and she weighs ninety pounds. And this drill sergeant is very efficient but she's always in a hurry and you cannot hurry my mother. She just won't have it. I've watched her and she kind of likes pushes Mom down the hall. I've asked them to get another aide but they're short staffed and they can't get someone else. They're training somebody now but it's been two months since my request! So I'm thinking we've got to get them out of there. Sometimes I park in front of the building when I drop them off and it takes time to bring them up and go back to the car since I don't have an assistant. Now they say I can't park there any more and I have to drop them off, park right away and just come back. It's also hard going through the door especially if I have my hands full and have to find the button for handicap unlike the others where they automatically open.

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. We are disappointed to hear that you didn’t experience our community the way we intended. Our wellness team is made up of only the most devoted and caring individuals. We can assure you that none of our aides would ever push a resident. If a family believes any one of our caregivers is being inappropriate, we need them to alert the Executive Director immediately as to resolve any issues. To promote resident safety, we can’t allow any parking right next to the main entrance because it is a fire lane; however, there is parking availability very close to the entrance. Please reach out to the Executive Director if you would like to discuss the details of your review further. Thank you.

November 17, 2011

By RGogul

My cousin for whom I am acting as guardian spent time in their assisted living and independent living sections. I found the facility a graet place for all residents.

Independent Living Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

August 03, 2022

By dtm2

Dad has been a resident for 18 months, he has dementia. The staff has been outstanding. That includes the administration, front desk staff, caregivers, aids and the chef. There is a wide variety of activities to choose from and they are very creative with new ideas and themes throughout the year. The staff is very caring and attentive. With dad every day is different and they are great with that. Communication is excellent. Most important - the food is great with a nice variety at every meal. They are very helpful & accommodating to dads quirky eating habits. We have been so pleased that my wife just moved her 100yr old aunt from independent living at a nearby senior community to assisted living here.

June 08, 2022

By Craig

We're hoping to get my mother moved to the Independence Village of Avon Lake in June. When we went to see it, we were just blown away by the vibrancy going on there. Carolyn, the person who gave us a tour, was unbelievably helpful and nice. She answered everything that we asked her. The place is super clean, and the apartments are bigger than the others. They offered up 2 months, 60 days with their furnishings so that my mom would have time to furnish the place herself. They had some perks and discounts that they're offering also. There are people around and everyone's happy. There are a lot of different things going on at once. We were just really impressed with it. We weighed the pluses and minuses of the other places versus Independence and it wasn't even close. We are still waiting on the assessment to come back, but my mom really wants a patio, so Carolyn set us up for the initial 60 days at the independent living so that way, she can have her patio. When the assessment comes back. I don't know if that'll change or not, we'll find out. Either way, that or if she goes into memory care, she gets the three meals a day plus the rooms are basically the same, except that you don't have a stove and you don't have a patio in the memory care. Other than that, it's basically the same type of room. I'm thinking that if she wants to be able to get outside her door every day, the outside areas there are beautiful. She could also do all the outside things she wants in the atriums so I don't think that would be a big issue.

October 03, 2021

By Ruth Annie

My parents lived over two years. I can not say enough good things about the employees. All staff members: maintenance, food service, housekeeping and aides, all went above and beyond for them. Activities seven days a week. Apartments spacious and kept very clean.

August 15, 2021

By Kristen H

My grandmother has lived here over 10 years and the staff has gone above and beyond to make her life enjoyable and worth living. She just turned 103 and I believe they’ve added years to her life. Definitely consider this when looking for your family member’s new home.

June 29, 2021

By bb03

Great apartments, Food and Activities. I live in Avon Lake and have had the pleasure of visiting my friends who have moved to Independence Village over the years. The staff is always present and available and friendly as well! Highly recommend!

June 29, 2021

By PJFG

My 93 year old dad has been a resident for about 3 months. It has been a wonderful transition from living on his own to becoming a member of the Independence Village family. He has met many people, loves the food, participates in many activities and is enjoying himself every day. I know he is safe and well taken care of. The staff is so caring and friendly….they know the residents by name and make a point of engaging him in a conversation. His apartment is open and spacious. I couldn’t be happier with our decision to make this his home.

June 23, 2021

By Westlake Daughter

Independence Village Avon Lake was a very big place. They have a separate independent and assisted living. I went to see with my aunt the independent side, and it was very bustling and very nice. They had a lot more activities than the other place we visited. They had a sing-along that was going on when we were there. There was an art room and a piano. The second time I went to visit I took my mother with my aunt, and it just had a different mood to it. I know things aren't always the same every time, but we actually got to go into the assisted living portion of it; I wasn't as impressed. It was a little more sedate and kind of depressing. We weren't in there very long. Compared to where she is now, I don't think it was as cheerful. I was a little hesitant about my mother going there, though it was a big apartment. It had a kitchen, no stove for the assisted living, but a full size fridge. It was decorated nicely. They had carpeting, but it's the kind where you can peel parts off the squares and then put them back if it gets ruined. It's easier for them to go across. It's easier to move a walker in there, but it wasn't as nice as the place that they first take you to (which is the independent side). That's freshly carpeted and had nice furniture.

February 15, 2021

By Catherine D.

My parents have lived at Independence Villages in Avon Lake for a while now. I couldn’t be happier with the care they are receiving! They love the food (which is prepared by an executive chef), as well as all of the creative and fun daily activities and exercise classes. The holiday car parades are such a fun way to tell your loved one that you are thinking of them especially during the pandemic. Every staff member we have met has communicated with us, and they go out of their way to make my parents feel comfortable and happy. I also definitely enjoy the community’s social media presence. It’s a great way to keep up with what’s happening. I’m very thankful that we found this place!

January 13, 2021

By Carol Riddle

Well, this is ALL new to my family. My father, 88 y.o. Just moved in. So far he loves his apartment. Small enough to get around without difficulty and large enough to make his home. He loves the food and cannot wait for the dining room to reopen. He is SO looking forward to the activities that a available, creative and look so fun! Every part of the entrance transition has been without any fuss or bother. Staff is responsive and friendly. Thank you for making the transition so easy.

September 23, 2020

By Amy

Independence Village of Avon Lake was very nice. If it was up to me, I would really think it should be a go, but I just don't think my mother is ready yet. They offer some assistance with the independent. The staff was great. The food was good. They had exercise. The rooms were great, and I saw three of them. There's 1-bedroom and 2-bedrooms, and they have a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom. Everybody seemed very happy and comfortable. It's a great place. I have not one bad word to say about it. They have chefs that cook and then bring the food out. They have it set up for three days a week, you dine in, and four days a week, you dine in your room and they deliver it. They offer shuttle services. They have a good setup.

September 22, 2020

By GFM13

My mother stayed at Independence Village in Avon Lake, OH during a time she needed more care. The facility is very clean, and well maintained. The staff are amazing, and always treated my mother like one of their own family members. They handled the difficult Covid-19 situation very well. I am thankful for the wonderful care they provided to my mom.

September 22, 2019

By snorkmaya

I like that they really care about the residents. They get to know them on a first name basis. They check on them, find out what they like and don't like. They try and encourage them to join in activities. They add new and interesting things to see and do. The staff are very friendly. They get to know family members as well as residents. The rooms are really a good size. Housekeeping helps the residents keep them clean. From church to cards, bingo, movies, happy hour and lots of outing there is always something going on. They even got my mom on a chair volleyball team. They have fun. The best part is they feel at home. This is their home not some awful place I have to be. They feel secure, and they know someone is always there if they need it.

September 21, 2019

By Astronaut

The entire staff at Independence Villages in Avon Lake have "earned" a very high rating in my book. Our 91-year old mother always speaks so highly of the many activities that are offered to the residents. We never knew she was so creative in the arts, enjoys her daily excersize and loves our home team's baseball and football, go figure. The lobby, hallways and apartments are spotless and always smell clean. The outdoor landscape entrance make us feel welcome as if its home, which it is. I sleep well at night knowing that Mark, Emily and the in-house home caregivers are there to care for mom. Hats off!

September 21, 2019

By WendyT

There are So many activities offered and a variety, if you choose to be active. Caregivers/employees are friendly and helpful. Any issues within my dad’s apartment have been dealt with in a timely manner. The menu offers variety and the meals are good, especially the monthly brunches. Housekeeping and laundry are both a real bonus for residents. The facility itself is clean and up to date. And it offers three levels of care. The office staff seems to have a frequent turnover, so not as cohesive as it could be.

September 19, 2019

By Cynthia HK

The energy of this facility is so positive and uplifting. Residents and staff are very friendly. The apartments are spacious and the outdoor patio and deck space is lovely. The facility is beautiful and very well maintained. The activities are super! Staff is engaged and respectful of the residents. We are very pleased with Independence Village.

April 01, 2019

By Grateful Sister 2

There is a spirit of genuine care, kindness and respect for each and every resident here at Independence Village of Avon Lake! I’ve never seen anything like it!! My brother has once again become “his Best Self” because of the Staff and Residents here!! He has made so many wonderful new friends! He laughs more! He has re-engaged in life! And he can’t wait to show off his wonderful apartment, invite family to join him for the Classic Car Show and BBQ Day or welcome people to the Sunday Grand Buffet each month! The community is truly a Community... with people who genuinely smile and sincerely reach out to one another! The entire building becomes an extension of one’s apartment!! It’s a great place to just walk or head to the cafe to read a newspaper and chat with others early in the morning or to attend a TED Talk and learn something new!! There truly IS something quite special about Independence Village of Avon Lake!!! And I am truly a very Grateful Sister to witness my brother enjoy and thrive, to live and to love this time of his life! Thank you Independence Village of Avon Lake!!

March 20, 2019

By Jeanne

I have always loved Independence Village of Avon Lake. The people were very friendly, very active, have great sense of humor, and very accommodating to most things. I liked the food the first time I've been there, but I wasn't enthused with it the second time. They had an exercise class and I've seen them at breakfast in the cafe and lunch. They had a little store. The apartments were very clean. They take care of them after every person leaves, but they were small. Activity wise, they were outstanding.

October 08, 2018

By RS

The thing we're most impressed with Independence Village of Avon Lake was we ran into probably 15 people on our tour and every one of them was very happy to live there and they all said that my mother would love it there. I found it exceptional that everybody was very happy, which is what really sold us. The staff was fine and the man who led us around knew everyone's name, which was unusual. He was very professional and welcoming. We also liked that they have an a la carte menu for help, so instead of going from independent to dependent living, you can pick and choose the type of additional care that you need, which I thought was very helpful. The rooms are apartments, comparable, and more than adequate for what my mom needed.

April 09, 2018

By Betsy

Independence Village was fantastic and beautiful. It's newer, and the apartments have a full, modern kitchen with granite countertops. The entryway was ceramic tile. While I was there they were having a manicure special. They do therapy and exercise classes. It was really nice but very expensive.

October 06, 2017

By Leanna

We were very impressed with Independence Village of Avon Lake. Everything was very nice, and I would recommend it. Everything was very clean and very nicely done. The people were very friendly. We saw a whole schedule of activities, and they had a lot available for their residents.

September 30, 2016

By Ed267266

Independence Village is very nice. It’s beautiful and clean. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

January 31, 2016

By Kurt6

At Independence Village they had a fund-raising dinner my wife and I went to. The food was really good, and the dining setup was like a fine restaurant. The room has a pretty nice setup too. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchenette, a small dining-area, and living-room. It was in a good location, especially now that I’m still able to walk. There’s a giant eagle out there. The staff seemed fine, very nice, and courteous.

August 21, 2015

Independence Village was absolutely gorgeous, but a little pricey. I had been there for luncheons and dinners, and the food was out of this world. The staff was very nice. We went to an open house, and I liked it, but I couldn't afford it. It was just beautiful and well kept. I met a lot of nice people, and the residents seemed very happy.

Memory Care Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

Costs for Independence Village of Avon Lake

Photos of Independence Village of Avon Lake

Services and Amenities of Independence Village of Avon Lake

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• State Licenses: 2361R

• Get Costs

About Independence Village of Avon Lake

Welcome to Independence Village of Avon Lake! This isn’t just a place to reside — it’s a place where our community members truly shine, and we are glad to share this experience with them. Our various senior living options include independent living, assisted living, and memory care. Throughout each service level, we strive to make every moment of every day something special. We know it’s the small details in life that make a difference. Every resident becomes a part of our family, and we work with each of them at their pace to create the experiences they want. Independence Village of Avon Lake is a place where residents can truly Shine. Everyday.

Independent Living

Independent living is designed for individuals who want the privacy of an apartment home with the added benefits senior living offers: meals, housekeeping, maintenance, transportation, activities, group outings, fitness programs, educational seminars and more.

Assisted Living

Assisted living provides a licensed environment for individuals requiring everyday assistance while promoting the greatest level of independence and privacy.

Memory Care

Designed for those with dementia or other memory impairments, memory care provides services in a licensed environment by specially trained professionals.

Community Amenities

• Balcony Or Patio • Wi-Fi Connection • Air Conditioning • Safety Call System • All utilities (Not Including Cable) • Gourmet Meals • Open Apartment Floor Plans • Wheelchair Accessibility • Transportation/Shuttle Service • Living Spaces With Balconies And Private Patios • Exercises And Fitness Programs • Apartment Maintenance • Weekly Routine Linen Laundry Service • Beauty Salon/Barbershop • Secure Wi-Fi • Pet Care • And More!

Map of Independence Village of Avon Lake