Independence Village of Avon Lake

Reviews of Independence Village of Avon Lake

Assisted Living Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

September 22, 2019

By MEJC

The administration and staff show a willingness and effort to meet the needs and concerns of the residents.

September 13, 2019

By Stephanie W

My dad moved into Independence Village of Avon Lake a couple of years ago, when he was needing a loving environment that would keep him safe, well-fed, entertained, loved and as independent as possible. He has is own room, decorated with his treasured memorabilia, and he is cared for each and every day with respect, dignity and love. As he's needed more help, it's been there. I believe my dad's quality of life has dramatically improved by being at Independence Village. My sister and I, along with many life long friends, visit him regularly, and my mom sees him everyday. It is easy to come and go, and it enables his loved ones to get to know his caregivers as well. There are daily activities for the residents, and there are many special celebrations that occur surrounding holidays, birthdays, and some for no reason at all, other than to provide fun. There are also excursions for ice cream and other treats. I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the food. The chef prepares delicious offerings, and there are choices to be made. I think meal times are probably my dad's favorite part of the day. If your loved one is ready for TLC outside the home, Independence Village offers an alternative that is as close as you can get to caring for your "loved senior" by yourself, but without having to face the challenges that make it hard to do yourself.

April 12, 2019

By Carole

Independence Village of Avon Lake is wonderful and very caring. People are very friendly and receptive. They pay attention to what's going on with the senior. My mother is in the memory care unit. They do painting, word and board puzzles, games of present and past, reminisce different things, and they make sure everybody is involved.

August 21, 2017

By Karen

Independence Village of Avon Lake was beautiful, and people were very nice, but it's too expensive. They had two-bedroom apartments that seemed a bit small. It had really nice things, and the people seemed happy. The guy who gave us the tour showed us everything, then sat us down and discussed the prices, which I think should have been done beforehand. It wasn't bad; we didn't hate the place. The facilities were very pretty, and the dining room was really nice.

Hello Karen, We are thankful to get your feedback. We are also happy to hear that you found the community to be beautiful and that our employees were lovely. We offer different personalized pricing packages that are designed with each residents’ specific needs in mind. We also offer a la carte pricing on certain services, so that they are available if needed. If you have any other questions, please call our community’s main number and ask to speak with our Community Specialist. Thank you!

December 05, 2016

By Joan M.634528

We went to Independence Village for a very good tour. That was high class but too expensive. It was a very nice place and very clean. They were very informative when they talked to us. They had a lot going on there. It had a library and an exercise room.

November 28, 2016

By Nancy033453

Independence Village is very nice and comparable in price to all the other assisted living type places we looked at. The food was excellent, and the rooms were pretty nice-sized. The staff was very good and friendly. They offered us a complimentary lunch; it was very good, and they have a real chef. Even if you come as a visitor, it's only $4 for lunch, and you get to pick from a couple different things.

September 30, 2016

By anntcf5@aol.com

I liked Independence Village of Avon Lake a lot. They're very friendly and they worked very hard on building community and friendliness. The staff was very nice and good. The place was fine.

January 01, 2016

By loving daughter20

Independence Village of Avon Lake was very nice. They had two dining areas. My parents liked it. They should have a little more facility for their gym or physical fitness. It's pleasant and comfortable, and it had a lot to offer.

December 20, 2015

By Michelle117719250

We liked Independence Village of Avon Lake because it's not too big and not too small. They had wonderful staff. I liked their decorations because it's homey and not too old-fashioned. The people that live there are not too old. There's a variety of room options. The main dining hall is restaurant-style, and you pick off a menu. There are a variety of options, but there are always staple items in case you don't like what the menu has to offer that day.

June 20, 2015

My mom stayed for rehab at Independence Village of Avon Lake. It was a nice, big area, and it was clean. The staff was great. The nurses were attentive. It was very nice. She had her hair done and her nails done, and the food was great. They had a lot of activities. She didn't want to do a whole lot of activities, but she does rehab.

May 12, 2015

We moved my mom to Independence Village, and we like it very much. She is going to a transition stage, but I think it is going to work out very nicely. One of the things that striked us right away is that there is no smell and just how pleasantly it is decorated. They have a nice lobby. There is a library on the side, a playroom, and a little meeting room. The dining area is like a restaurant. They have so much to do, and they have two different calendars. You can do things on the independent side or on the assisted living side. It's your choice on what activities you want to do. The people working there are very friendly. We are satisfied with their services. She has a nice window in her room. We moved a bunch of stuff in, and we were surprised that it actually worked out very nicely.

April 29, 2013

By berniee2000

They only had a single bedroom and Mom and dad needed a two-bedroom two-bath. They needed to have an approval from the state to do that and that can't be done overnight and they got that done very quickly. Unfortunately since that time, our relationship has deteriorated, between me and Independence Village. One of the reasons is, one of the aide that comes in, she's very efficient, she's like a drill sergeant. My mom is frail and tiny, four foot eight and she weighs ninety pounds. And this drill sergeant is very efficient but she's always in a hurry and you cannot hurry my mother. She just won't have it. I've watched her and she kind of likes pushes Mom down the hall. I've asked them to get another aide but they're short staffed and they can't get someone else. They're training somebody now but it's been two months since my request! So I'm thinking we've got to get them out of there. Sometimes I park in front of the building when I drop them off and it takes time to bring them up and go back to the car since I don't have an assistant. Now they say I can't park there any more and I have to drop them off, park right away and just come back. It's also hard going through the door especially if I have my hands full and have to find the button for handicap unlike the others where they automatically open.

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. We are disappointed to hear that you didn’t experience our community the way we intended. Our wellness team is made up of only the most devoted and caring individuals. We can assure you that none of our aides would ever push a resident. If a family believes any one of our caregivers is being inappropriate, we need them to alert the Executive Director immediately as to resolve any issues. To promote resident safety, we can’t allow any parking right next to the main entrance because it is a fire lane; however, there is parking availability very close to the entrance. Please reach out to the Executive Director if you would like to discuss the details of your review further. Thank you.

October 23, 2012

By Mr. Blue

Independence Village is a one of a kind assisted living facility. It is like no other that I have visited. My grandparents are both getting older and they are no longer able to live in their house comfortably. It is just too big and too much for them. The staff at the Independence Village in Avon Lake are well trained and seem to like what they do. They are so cheerful and friendly and both of my grandparents love them. My grandparents have met alot of new friends through this facility and they are now way more active then they were at their house. My grandpa has even learned some new computer skills in their computer lab and my grandma has decided to take up gardening through there! The house keeping staff is totally trustworthy and I don't have to worry about them stealing my grandparents things. I guarantee this place is the place to go for any elderly person.

November 17, 2011

By RGogul

My cousin for whom I am acting as guardian spent time in their assisted living and independent living sections. I found the facility a graet place for all residents.

Independent Living Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

September 22, 2019

By snorkmaya

I like that they really care about the residents. They get to know them on a first name basis. They check on them, find out what they like and don't like. They try and encourage them to join in activities. They add new and interesting things to see and do. The staff are very friendly. They get to know family members as well as residents. The rooms are really a good size. Housekeeping helps the residents keep them clean. From church to cards, bingo, movies, happy hour and lots of outing there is always something going on. They even got my mom on a chair volleyball team. They have fun. The best part is they feel at home. This is their home not some awful place I have to be. They feel secure, and they know someone is always there if they need it.

September 21, 2019

By Astronaut

The entire staff at Independence Villages in Avon Lake have "earned" a very high rating in my book. Our 91-year old mother always speaks so highly of the many activities that are offered to the residents. We never knew she was so creative in the arts, enjoys her daily excersize and loves our home team's baseball and football, go figure. The lobby, hallways and apartments are spotless and always smell clean. The outdoor landscape entrance make us feel welcome as if its home, which it is. I sleep well at night knowing that Mark, Emily and the in-house home caregivers are there to care for mom. Hats off!

September 21, 2019

By WendyT

There are So many activities offered and a variety, if you choose to be active. Caregivers/employees are friendly and helpful. Any issues within my dad’s apartment have been dealt with in a timely manner. The menu offers variety and the meals are good, especially the monthly brunches. Housekeeping and laundry are both a real bonus for residents. The facility itself is clean and up to date. And it offers three levels of care. The office staff seems to have a frequent turnover, so not as cohesive as it could be.

September 19, 2019

By Cynthia HK

The energy of this facility is so positive and uplifting. Residents and staff are very friendly. The apartments are spacious and the outdoor patio and deck space is lovely. The facility is beautiful and very well maintained. The activities are super! Staff is engaged and respectful of the residents. We are very pleased with Independence Village.

September 19, 2019

By CharlieFry

This facility has all the things you need for comfortable living. The staff is helpful and pleasant. The housekeeping is very good. I thought the building was much newer than it is because it is so well kept up. We have some special needs so we have not been able to participate in the activities. They are so varied that it is hard to think there is something left out. The residents have opportunity to make suggestions for new or different activities. The food is great. The most picky eater would have a hard time missing a meal. We are pleased with our choice of Independence Village.

April 01, 2019

By Grateful Sister 2

There is a spirit of genuine care, kindness and respect for each and every resident here at Independence Village of Avon Lake! I’ve never seen anything like it!! My brother has once again become “his Best Self” because of the Staff and Residents here!! He has made so many wonderful new friends! He laughs more! He has re-engaged in life! And he can’t wait to show off his wonderful apartment, invite family to join him for the Classic Car Show and BBQ Day or welcome people to the Sunday Grand Buffet each month! The community is truly a Community... with people who genuinely smile and sincerely reach out to one another! The entire building becomes an extension of one’s apartment!! It’s a great place to just walk or head to the cafe to read a newspaper and chat with others early in the morning or to attend a TED Talk and learn something new!! There truly IS something quite special about Independence Village of Avon Lake!!! And I am truly a very Grateful Sister to witness my brother enjoy and thrive, to live and to love this time of his life! Thank you Independence Village of Avon Lake!!

March 20, 2019

By Jeanne

I have always loved Independence Village of Avon Lake. The people were very friendly, very active, have great sense of humor, and very accommodating to most things. I liked the food the first time I've been there, but I wasn't enthused with it the second time. They had an exercise class and I've seen them at breakfast in the cafe and lunch. They had a little store. The apartments were very clean. They take care of them after every person leaves, but they were small. Activity wise, they were outstanding.

October 08, 2018

By RS

The thing we're most impressed with Independence Village of Avon Lake was we ran into probably 15 people on our tour and every one of them was very happy to live there and they all said that my mother would love it there. I found it exceptional that everybody was very happy, which is what really sold us. The staff was fine and the man who led us around knew everyone's name, which was unusual. He was very professional and welcoming. We also liked that they have an a la carte menu for help, so instead of going from independent to dependent living, you can pick and choose the type of additional care that you need, which I thought was very helpful. The rooms are apartments, comparable, and more than adequate for what my mom needed.

April 09, 2018

By Betsy

Independence Village was fantastic and beautiful. It's newer, and the apartments have a full, modern kitchen with granite countertops. The entryway was ceramic tile. While I was there they were having a manicure special. They do therapy and exercise classes. It was really nice but very expensive.

October 06, 2017

By Leanna

We were very impressed with Independence Village of Avon Lake. Everything was very nice, and I would recommend it. Everything was very clean and very nicely done. The people were very friendly. We saw a whole schedule of activities, and they had a lot available for their residents.

September 30, 2016

By Ed267266

Independence Village is very nice. It’s beautiful and clean. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

January 31, 2016

By Kurt6

At Independence Village they had a fund-raising dinner my wife and I went to. The food was really good, and the dining setup was like a fine restaurant. The room has a pretty nice setup too. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchenette, a small dining-area, and living-room. It was in a good location, especially now that I’m still able to walk. There’s a giant eagle out there. The staff seemed fine, very nice, and courteous.

August 21, 2015

Independence Village was absolutely gorgeous, but a little pricey. I had been there for luncheons and dinners, and the food was out of this world. The staff was very nice. We went to an open house, and I liked it, but I couldn't afford it. It was just beautiful and well kept. I met a lot of nice people, and the residents seemed very happy.

Memory Care Reviews for Independence Village of Avon Lake

Costs for Independence Village of Avon Lake

Photos of Independence Village of Avon Lake

Services and Amenities of Independence Village of Avon Lake

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• About Independence Village of Avon Lake

Welcome to Independence Village! Mom and dad’s care aren’t one-size-fits-all. We spend the time with our residents and their families to learn their specific needs and cater to everything we do to meet them right where they’re at.

Some of the support services our assisted living and memory care neighborhoods provide include:

• 24-hour staffing
    • Individualized care plans
    • Nutrition counseling
    • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
    • Dressing, Grooming and Showering
    • Medication assistance/management
    • And more

Community Amenities:

• 24-hour staffing
    • Three restaurant-style meals and snacks served daily
    • Large, elegant dining room with private dining rooms
    • Social, educational, and recreational programs and activities
    • Housekeeping and laundry service
    • Maintenance staff on duty
    • Small pets welcome
    • And more

Community Activities

At Independence Village, we offer various activities each day that cater to our residents’ interests and abilities. From live entertainment to arts and crafts, there are activities that everyone will enjoy.

Daily Dining Experiences

Our culinary team is dedicated to providing healthy and tasty meal options every day so that each resident is satisfied and also receiving the nutrition they need.

Map of Independence Village of Avon Lake