New Orleans is a charming city in Louisiana with a population of 390,144, 14.1% of whom are seniors over the age of 65. The city is home to the University Medical Center New Orleans, which is the only Level I trauma hospital in the region. As a teaching hospital, it provides the latest medical technologies to patients. Other notable medical facilities in the city include the New Orleans East Hospital and the Lafayette General Medical Center. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, nursing homes in New Orleans are relatively affordable at an average monthly cost of $5,931 for a semiprivate room and $6,388 for a private room.

Nursing homes provide a high level of medical care and supervision. Licensed nursing staff and certified caregivers are always on hand to offer compassionate care and assistance. This may be a higher level of care than is needed by some seniors, and family members may want to look into alternatives, such as home care and assisted living in New Orleans.

This guide looks at the cost of senior living options in New Orleans and resources that may be of interest.

Directory of Nursing Homes in New Orleans, LA

Woldenberg Village

3701 Behrman Place, New Orleans, LA, 70114

The Azaleas Assisted Living at Woldenberg Village is located in the heart of New Orleans, Louisiana. The community receives high marks from residents and visitors for its friendly and knowledgeable st … (read more)

Covenant Home

5919 MAGAZINE STREET, New Orleans, LA, 70115

Excellent. They look after my mother very well
Excellent. They look after my mother very well

Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family

6900 Chef Menteur Highway, New Orleans, LA, 70126

The rooms are clean The residents has been taken care of due this pandemic. Family members can call and speak with their family members too. You are allowed to see them from the window. My family se … (read more)

Chateau De Notre Dame

2832 BURDETTE STREET, New Orleans, LA, 70125

Chateau De Notre Dame is nestled in the heart of beautiful New Orleans, Louisiana. The central location makes it easily accessible for families to visit. The facility is always clean, neat, organized … (read more)

St. Luke’s Living Center

4201 Woodland Drive, New Orleans, LA, 70131

The atmoshpere at St. Lukes is very apeasing. When I walked in, I was greeted by the receptionist who asked if I needed any assistance in finding who I was there for. The food is better than most lo … (read more)

St Margaret’s at Mercy

3525 Bienville Street, New Orleans, LA, 70119

We had a great experience at St Margaret’s. My mom loved the staff and the food. Therapy team is the best! She was there during the height of the pandemic and I felt like she was safe. She also fe … (read more)

Good Samaritan Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

4021 Cadillac Street, New Orleans, LA, 70122

This facility does not care about your loved ones. The administrator talks a good game, but does nothing. When you walk in the order hits you at the front door. They do nothing to try and make the fac … (read more)

Unity Nursing and Rehab Center

1539 Delachaise St, New Orleans, LA, 70115

My mom was at Unity Nursing Home. The facility was not clean. Their first floor airconditioning unit was broken. We have to bring her fan. After I complained about the heat, she was transferred to the … (read more)

Ferncrest Manor Living Center

Our Lady Of Wisdom Health Care Center

5600 General Degaulle Dr, New Orleans, LA, 70131

St Joseph Nursing and Rehabilitation

405 Folse Street, Harahan, LA, 70123

I was encouraged to leave a review based on my stay by administration. They really care about leaving a positive impact on the patients here. I have witnessed a really awesome team, from nursing to di … (read more)

Belle Vie Living Center

535 Commerce Street, Gretna, LA, 70056

I am a patient on the rehab section of the facility. Been here since 9/28/2016. The employees, nurses, CNA’s, maintenance personnel, everyone I have had contact with that represent Belle Vie are won … (read more)

Jefferson Healthcare Center

2200 Jefferson Hwy, Jefferson, LA, 70121

Jefferson Healthcare was very nice and had a homey atmosphere and nice people. The attitude of the people and the people who work there gave it a family-like atmosphere.

Chateau Living Center

716 Village Road, Kenner, LA, 70065

Terrible!!!!!!! can’t believe how stupid i was to even suggest putting my mom there for skilled nursing after reading reviews and here I am writing one myself . mom had a fall broke her arm Decembe … (read more)

St Anthony’s Nursing Home

6001 Airline Highway, Metairie, LA, 70003

I am so grateful to all of the staff at St. Anthony’s. They take such good care of me. I am SO blessed to be at this facility. They have given me a new lease on life!

Nursing Home Costs in New Orleans, LA

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in New Orleans is $5,931 for a semiprivate room and $6,388 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The average cost of nursing home care in New Orleans is about $1,800 less than the national average of $7,756. However, it’s similar to the statewide average in Louisiana of $5,536. Neighboring cities are all closely aligned in price with the least expensive being Shreveport at $5,536 and the most expensive being Jackson, Mississippi, at $6,388. The average nursing home resident pays $5,597 in Baton Rouge and $5,627 in Houston across the border in Texas.

$5931

Jackson, MS

$5627

Houston, TX

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It may be useful for family members to look at the costs of other types of senior care in New Orleans that may better suit their loved one. The cheapest option is adult day care at an average cost of $1,235 per month. Homemaker services and home health aide services both cost an average of $3,909 per month. Assisted living facilities in the area cost an average of $4,163 per month. Nursing home care is the most expensive option at $5,931 for a semiprivate room and $6,388 for a private room.

$3909

$6388

Nursing Home (Private)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in New Orleans, LA

Free Resources for Seniors in New Orleans, LA

The following resources may be of assistance to seniors living in New Orleans and may help them to age in place in their individual homes for a longer period of time.

ResourceContactService
Catholic Charities(504) 245-7207Catholic Charities operates adult day health care centers throughout the city. These centers provide meals, social and physical activities, counseling and medication management. Additional services provided by the organization include a nutrition program for seniors and a foster grandparent program to encourage intergenerational communication. Its PACE program aims to help frail seniors to remain in their own homes for as long as it’s physically and financially possible by providing a range of health care services.
Senior Centers(504) 821-4121 ext. 111The New Orleans Council on Aging runs a number of senior centers located around the city. A variety of activities are offered, including exercise classes, field trips, educational lectures and intergenerational programs. A nutritious meal is provided at midday. There’s no charge for the meal or for taking part in the activities. Transport can be arranged to the centers.
Nutrition Program(504) 821-4121The New Orleans Council on Aging operates a two-part nutrition program in the city. It provides daily hot meals at senior centers and congregate sites located throughout the city. These meals are available to seniors who are 60 or older.  The second part of the program delivers meals to homebound seniors who are unable to cook for themselves and have nobody to assist them. Volunteer drivers carry out social wellness checks on seniors while delivering meals. There’s no charge for the meals, and the program runs on donations.