Des Plaines has a population of 60,675, and approximately 11,590 residents are aged 65 or older. Seniors in this city have access to holistic, long-term acute care at AMITA Health Holy Family Medical Center Des Plaines. Veterans can find comprehensive medical services at Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital in Hines, located about 25 minutes away.

Nursing homes are sophisticated, highly regulated facilities for older adults with chronic health issues or disabilities. These institutions provide 24/7 medical supervision, skilled nursing, assistance with daily living activities and a range of therapies. Due to this elevated level of support, nursing homes typically have higher rates than other types of senior care. In Des Plaines, nursing home accommodations cost an estimated $8,076 per month for a semiprivate room, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, which is above the national average of $7,756. Individuals who don’t require nursing home-level care have their needs met with home health care or assisted living.

This guide discusses the cost of nursing home care in Des Plaines and nearby cities, as well as comparisons with other care arrangements. It also lists local resources that are available to the area’s seniors and their caregivers.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Des Plaines, IL

Oakton Pavillion

1660 OAKTON PLACE, Des Plaines, IL, 60018

My Husband had advanced Alzheimer’s Disease. The staff took excellent care of him for the last 6 months of his life. They were compassionate to myself and my husband. The entire staff is awesome! … (read more)

Nazarethville

300 NORTH RIVER ROAD, Des Plaines, IL, 60016

Presence Nazarethville is in a beautiful location and difficult to find with Google Maps. The building is new with original art paintings around the entire building. It has beautiful grounds, a chapel … (read more)

Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc

1221 EAST GOLF ROAD, Des Plaines, IL, 60016

I was at Alden Courts of Des Plaines for rehab, and the service was good. The physical therapy was excellent. The care was good, and food was reasonably good. It was well-maintained and clean. The ser … (read more)

Generations at Oakton Pavillion

1660-1665 Oakton Place, Des Plaines, IL, 60018

My sister will be moving into Generations at Oakton Pavillion. It’s clean when you walk in. It doesn’t smell. You don’t have the smell of fecal matter. They’ve got meeting spaces and a sports bar down … (read more)

Lee Manor

1301 LEE STREET, Des Plaines, IL, 60018

My mom was in Lee Manor for eight months I thought it was a good place with good people but I realize now they were lying to us mom had called it 19 I spoke to her on Wednesday I could hear that she w … (read more)

Ballard Nursing Center

9300 BALLARD ROAD, Des Plaines, IL, 60016

My mom is at Ballard. I feel she is mail nourished. She eats but not much. No one checks to see how much she eats. The place looks nice when you come in but when you go see your loved ones floor. The … (read more)

Grosse Pointe Manor

6601 6601 West Touhy Avenue, Niles, IL, 60714

I checked out other nursing homes in the area. Grosse Pointe Manor stood out because of the warmth that I witnessed between the staff and the residents. Also I saw many residents walking whereas at … (read more)

Lincolnwood Place

7000 N. McCormick Blvd., Lincolnwood Town Center, Lincolnwood, IL, 60712

A short drive from Chicago, Lincolnwood Place is located in Lincolnwood, Illinois, close to the Lincolnwood Town Center and Westfield Old Orchard. Residents and their loved ones describe this communit … (read more)

2015, 2016

The Moorings of Arlington Heights

811 East Central Road, Arlington Heights, IL, 60005

I was here for four months in the healthcare portion of the system, recovering from the loss of strength due to a severe bladder infection. I needed a place with physical therapy to recover my streng … (read more)

Westminster Place

3200 Grant Street, Evanston, IL, 60201

2015

Central Baptist Village

4747 North Canfield Avenue, Norridge, IL, 60706

Our mother-in-law spent a little over 6 weeks in rehab at CBV after a hip fracture. She had been 89 years old, mentally sharp, and living alone before this. We felt so fortunate to find a bed for he … (read more)

Buckingham Pavilion

2625 WEST TOUHY AVENUE, Chicago, IL, 60645

Buckingham Pavilion is a warm welcoming nursing home and rehabilitation center with a very caring staff who gave my mother a sense of family during the 4.5 years she resided there. She loved interacti … (read more)

Lutheran Home

800 West Oakton Street, Arlington Heights, IL, 60004

My stepfather is in rehab at Lutheran Home. It is very clean and very organized. For someone that has balance issues or you’re concerned about falling, they have the right equipment to be able to mana … (read more)

Greek American Rehab Care Center

220 N FIRST STREET, Wheeling, IL, 60090

We visited a place called Greek American; it was a gorgeous place, but we couldn’t afford it. It was probably the most beautiful facility I have ever seen. Their secured unit, you have to have a code … (read more)

Addolorata Villa

555 McHenry Road, Wheeling, IL, 60090

My mother passed away 3 years ago just a month shy of 104. I acknowledged the wonderful care my mother received during her time in Assisted Living and the Nursing home. Addolorata Villa provided e … (read more)

Elevate Care Riverwoods Skilled Nursing

3705 Deerfield Road, Riverwoods, IL, 60015

I was a resident of Brentwood North Nursing & Rehabilitation Centre. It was great, but it was just really confined. They had more cameras than a casino in there. Their staff was more hands on, and … (read more)

Citadel of Wilmette

432 Poplar Drive, Wilmette, IL, 60091

I was so nervous to transition my dad into a "nursing home" because all the stories I have heard from my friends. He was at another facility for only 2 weeks and they wanted to discharge him. It was a … (read more)

Covenant Health Care Center Northbrook

2625 Techny Road, Northbrook, IL, 60062

I am WELL acquainted with this facility!! My husband lived there for THREE years and I visited almost EVERY day!! I can state without reservations that this is one of the top nursing homes in the sta … (read more)

St Benedict Nursing & Rehab

6930 WEST TOUHY AVENUE, Niles, IL, 60714

My uncle was a patient at St. Benedict’s for several weeks from May through July of this year following a series of small strokes. I was very impressed with the quality of the staff overall, from the … (read more)

Dobson Plaza

120 Dodge Avenue, Evanston, IL, 60202

My Aunt has been a Dobson Plaza resident since August 2020. In light of her dementia, and as her sole Caregiver, I had to make a number of heart-wrenching decisions on her behalf. Fortunately in makin … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Des Plaines, IL

Semiprivate rooms in Des Plaines’ nursing homes cost an average of $8,076 per month, while private rooms cost $8,532 on a monthly basis.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

When comparing the monthly cost of semiprivate rooms in nursing homes, the $8,076 average rate in Des Plaines is $320 higher than the $7,756 national median. Prices here also exceed the Illinois statewide average of $6,235 by $1,841.

Des Plaines is one of the most expensive cities for nursing home care in Illinois. Costs in the city are $1,080 above the average paid in Bloomington ($6,996) and $1,202 more than the rate in Danville ($6,874). Residents of Kankakee pay $6,540 per month, while those in Rockford pay just $5,825.

$8076

Bloomington

$6874

Danville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Cost is often a major factor for families exploring care options for an aging loved one. In Des Plaines, adult day health care is the most economical choice at an average monthly cost of $1,614. Assisted living costs $4,950 per month, while home care averages $4,957. Home health care is slightly more expensive at $5,053. Nursing homes are the costliest choice at $8,076 for a semiprivate room and $8,532 for a private room.

$4957

Adult day health care

$4950

Assisted living

$8076

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8532

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Des Plaines was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Chicago, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Des Plaines, IL

Free Resources for Seniors in Des Plaines, IL

Des Plaines seniors and their families can access various resources to help with long-term care decisions. Some available services can allow individuals to delay entry into a nursing home, while others can help seniors choose appropriate care options and transition into a long-term care facility if necessary.

Resource

Contact

Service

AgeOptions coordinates a variety of home and community-based resources for Des Plaines and Cook County seniors. The agency is a one-stop source for information, guidance and assistance for individuals and families facing long-term care support decisions. It offers care coordination that enables some individuals to remain in their own homes. AgeOptions also operates the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program that advocates for nursing facility residents.

The CDEL provides free civil legal assistance to income-eligible seniors in Des Plaines and throughout Cook County. Available services include advice, self-help resources and full representation in matters regarding financial and housing stability, advance directives and adult guardianship. CDEL also hosts neighborhood legal clinics covering powers of attorney, estate planning and veterans’ issues.

The Illinois DOA administers various programs that may benefit older Des Plaines residents. Assistance with understanding Medicare and health insurance options is available through the Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and Senior Health Assistance Program (SHAP). The Community Care Program (CCP) provides in-home services that can help Medicaid-eligible adults aged 60 and older avoid unnecessary institutionalization. Seniors and their family members can call the DOA's senior helpline for personalized information and access to services such as home-delivered meals and help with choosing the right long-term care option.