46 Assisted Living Facilities near Des Plaines, IL
There are 46 Assisted Living Facilities in the Des Plaines area, with 3 in Des Plaines and 43 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Des Plaines is $3,675 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Arlington Heights with an average starting cost of $3,075.
To help you with your search, browse the 332 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Des Plaines. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Des Plaines 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Park Ridge with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Des Plaines, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Des Plaines, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Des Plaines
This bustling suburb of Chicago is located just north of O'Hare International Airport, giving seniors who love to travel easy access to non-stop flights to hundreds of destinations. Of the approximately 58,000 Des Plaines residents, 18.6 percent are age 65 and older. To serve seniors who need support with the normal activities of daily living (ADLs) while still maintaining as independent a lifestyle as possible, Des Plaines offers three assisted living facilities. Seniors have another 37 assisted living communities to choose from nearby.
In Des Plaines as in all of Illinois, assisted living communities (ALFs) are overseen by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). ALFs must provide residents with private, single occupancy apartments with a small kitchen and private bathing facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Des Plaines
- Des Plaines has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Frisbie Center, a 20,000-square foot facility that offers more than 65 different programsand services. Seniors who are city residents enjoy reduced taxicab rates when traveling within the corporate city limits.
- Seniors with respiratory conditions should be aware that Des Plaines’ location in Cook County means a very poor air quality rating. The American Lung Association grades Cook County an “F” for high levels of ozone pollution.
- The Des Plaines area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Although the overall cost of living in Des Plains is about 18 percent higher than the national average, seniors pay less for groceries, utilities and healthcare here compared to the U.S. average. Housing and transportation costs are higher.
- Des Plaines has low crime rates compared to the U.S. averages. The city’s violent crime ranking of 10.9 is considerably lower than the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Des Plaines ranks 21.1 out of 100, whereas the national average is 35.4.
- Winters can be cold in Des Plains, with a January low of 17 degrees and an average of 36 inches of snow annually. Summers can be excessively humid, and July’s average high temperature is 84 degrees. Active seniors looking for a comfortable year-round climate may be disappointed in this region’s weather patterns.
Paying for Assisted Living in Des Plaines
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Des Plaines start around $3,272 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Des Plaines and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Des Plaines
To help seniors pay for assisted living, Illinois offers the HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities. This helps those qualified for nursing home care to live in an assisted living environment. The program is available statewide, but not every county has approved facilities. The waiver does not cover room and board, but it does cover supportive services such as personal care assistance, medication management, and chore services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Des Plaines
Des Plaines and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Des Plaines, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Des Plaines Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Des Plaines
Des Plaines-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Des Plaines, IL
Other Options in Des Plaines, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Des Plaines
Review of Brookdale Des Plaines
When our uncle who without children & never-married, had a stroke, my siblings & I needed to find an assisted living facility for him. None of us had experience with researching these types... Read more
Review of Brookdale Des Plaines
Brookdale Des Plaines was nice and people seemed friendly enough. It was a pretty decent place; the community director does activities for them fairly frequently. They're shut down during COVID, bu... Read more
Review of Asbury Court
We were given this great spill about how wonderful this Facility is. But now that my mom is in the facility it's not so great my Mother has on the same clothes every time we visit I know because we... Read more