Miami and the state of Florida have long been known as a haven for senior citizens. Many retirees choose to spend their golden years either wintering in the area or residing in Miami full-time. In fact, more than 16% of the city’s overall population is made up of seniors aged 65 and older. The comfortable climate and waterfront views are likely one of the top reasons seniors choose to live in the Miami area. Other factors attracting an older population include renowned medical centers, such as the University of Miami Hospital and Clinics, as well as an array of nursing homes that provide full-time care for seniors.

Nursing homes provide a high level of medical care and continuous monitoring for seniors who need it. Care is provided by skilled nurses and experienced caregivers who are on-site 24/7. According to the Genworth Cost of Care survey for 2020, the cost of nursing care is generally much higher than other types of senior care. In Miami, seniors can expect to pay an average of $9,095 per month for a semiprivate room in a nursing care facility. This cost is more than double that of home health care and assisted living in the states. As such, seniors who don’t require such a high level of care may want to consider these less expensive options.

This guide includes information about the cost of different types of senior care in Miami, as well as resources that are available for older adults living in the Miami area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Miami, FL

Miami Jewish Health Systems

5200 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL, 33137

The hospital sent my husband to Miami Jewish Health. Surprisingly, the place was very nice, and I’m impressed with the care that they’re giving him. He’s only been there a couple of days now. They fee … (read more)

East Ridge

19225 SW 87th Ave, Miami, FL, 33157

East Ridge, located in the Cutler Bay section of Miami, Florida, is approximately halfway between downtown Miami and the city of Homestead. Family members appreciate it offers security for its residen … (read more)

Coral Gables Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

7060 SW 8th St, Miami, FL, 33144

My Mom has been a resident 4 years. I visit weekly. It’s under staffed for CNA’S since day 1. Reason why I visit to keep up her needs. Feeding, change diaper, request Rx necessary for any illness … (read more)

St. Anne’s Nursing Center and Residence

11855 Quail Roost Drive, Miami, FL, 33177

My mother stayed at St. Anne’s Nursing Center and Residence for rehab. It’s very clean. I have no complaints. She did very well, and she responded to physical therapy. I was happy with it. The staff w … (read more)

Floridean Nursing Home

47 NW 32nd Pl, Miami, FL, 33125

MY MOTHER IS THERE UNTIL TOMORROW 11/17/18. WE ARE EXTREMELY SATISFIED AND GRATEFUL FOR THE FACILITIES AND QUALITY OF THE TREATMENT (MY MOTHER IS 97 YEARS OLD). THE PERSONNEL IS WONDERFUL AND SHE IS V … (read more)

Franco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

800 NW 95th St, Miami, FL, 33150

My name is Carlos Perdomo and my partner Raciel Perez. The service in this facility is outstanding. Im a survivor of Coronavirus and in the middle of rehabilitation doing so well thanks to the labor … (read more)

Hampton Court Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

16100 NW 2nd Ave, Miami, FL, 33169

My father is in Hampton Court. Because of Medicaid issues, we’re keeping him there for now. It’s a rehab and nursing facility. It looks like a good facility. So far, they take good care of him, and th … (read more)

Riverside Care Center

899 NW 4th St, Miami, FL, 33128

Riverside Care Center is very good so far and I have no complaints. It looks good, and they take good care of people. They have a bunch of activities, but my mother is secluded to the bed. The food is … (read more)

Palace at Kendall Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

11215 SW 84th St, Miami, FL, 33173

My dad has been at the Palace for rehab for 2 and 1/2 weeks now. It’s excellent and the food and the care is good. He’s always very clean when I get there, and they let me know what’s going on. They’r … (read more)

Riviera Health Resort

6901 Yumuri Street, Miami, FL, 33156

My mom is in rehab at Riviera Health Resort. They have personnel, so that’s a good thing. Each nurse has an assistant nurse, so usually there’s two people. They have shift changes, so people don’t get … (read more)

Palmetto Subacute Care Center

7600 SW 8th St, Miami, FL, 33144

My mother was at Palmetto Subacute Care Center for rehab for a month and a half, and it was very good. We were very happy and very pleased with the staff and all the help. They were very good. The foo … (read more)

Bruce W. Carter Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Nursing Home

1201 Northwest 16th Street, Miami, FL, 33125

The Miami VA Nursing Home is a state of the art facility that provides excellent long-term care to veterans. This relatively new facility is adjacent to the Miami VA Medical Center and Jackson Memori … (read more)

Ponce Plaza Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

335 SW 12th Ave, Miami, FL, 33130

My experience with this facility is a mostly possitive one. I never had any problems with the facility itself. It was always clean and presentable. I also never had any problem with the staff of this … (read more)

The Nursing Center at Mercy

3671 S Miami Ave, Miami, FL, 33133

My mother was in The Nursing Center at Mercy for about a month. For the most part, the staff was professional, caring, and accommodating. There were some assistants who kind of had an attitude and did … (read more)

Fountain Manor Health & Rehabilitation Center

390 NE 135th St, Miami, FL, 33161

Rudeness, manipulative, deceitful is all I can say for the social worker at this facility. My stepmother has been kept there against her and our will. They did not provide the information required to … (read more)

Cross Garden Care Center

190 NE 191st St, Miami, FL, 33179

My mother was a resident of this nursing home. I visited her there every other day for approximately six years. The facility itself was suitable for use as a nursing home. I mean, it was not a mode … (read more)

Victoria Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

955 NW 3RD St, Miami, FL, 33128

I would like to start by saying do not take your loved one here . My mom went into this facility for rehabilitation . She was supposed to be here for 7 days than 7 days turned to 14. They never commu … (read more)

Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital

20601 Old Cutler Road, , Miami, FL, 33189

Worst rehab ever. This place is pitiful. There are a handful of good therapists. However, most will pick you up late and you will be doubled up with other patients frequently. There are three hours of … (read more)

Harmony Health Center

9820 N Kendall Dr, Miami, FL, 33176

I don’t recommend this facility. My mom was there for only a week and I’ve never seen her get so sick. She was taken there for their rehabilitation program after she got COVID. She is on oxygen 1 … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Miami, Florida

Nursing home semiprivate rooms cost an average of $9,095 in Miami. For private rooms, the cost is slightly more at $10,418.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The comparisons below are based on the average cost of semiprivate rooms in nursing home facilities in Miami. When compared with the national average, Miami’s nursing homes are over $1,300 more per month. The city’s average cost is much closer to the Florida state average, which is $8,669.

Although nursing home costs in Miami are high, they’re not the highest in the state. In Orlando, the average monthly cost is $9,125, while in Tampa, seniors can expect to pay $9,946 per month for a semiprivate room. That’s nearly $900 more per month than in Miami. In other major cities across the state, costs are slightly less. In Jacksonville, the monthly cost is slightly less at $8,683, while in Tallahassee, nursing home costs are below the national and state averages at $7,543 monthly.

$9095

Orlando

$9946

Tampa

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care is the most expensive type of senior care in Miami. Seniors who are able to remain in their own homes with some help may want to consider home care ($3,623) or home health care ($3,183), which both cost considerably less. Seniors who require residential care but who don’t need round-the-clock medical supervision should consider assisted living, which costs an average of $3,500 per month — $5,595 less than a semiprivate room in a nursing care facility. Adult day care ($1,300) is a good option for seniors who require some assistance and supervision during the day but are well enough to live independently.

$3623

Adult day health care

$3500

Assisted living

$9095

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$10418

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Miami, Florida

Free Resources for Seniors in Miami, Florida

The resources listed below may be helpful for seniors living in the Miami area. Many of these resources exist to help seniors live more comfortably and independently in their own homes and delay the need for nursing care. Others help seniors understand what services they’ll receive while living in a nursing care facility or help them afford the high costs associated with this type of senior care.

ResourceContact Service
Meals on Wheels(786) 469-4707
Miami’s Meals on Wheels participants are provided with seven frozen meals every week, as well as pantry items, milk and fresh fruit. To participate, seniors must be at least 60 years of age and living with a disability. Meals are also available for dependents and spouses of participants.
Specialized Senior Centers(786) 459-4600
Several specialized senior centers exist throughout the Miami area. Services include part-time personal care, case management and social services. The centers are open to seniors aged 60 and over who are mentally and medically stable.
Elderly Care Planning(786) 469-4851
Seniors aged 60 and over and their loved ones can request assistance in care planning from this agency. It helps clients to intervene when in-home care and supervision are required and works with seniors to determine which care services are needed most.
Alliance for Aging Inc.(305) 670-6500
The Alliance for Aging connects seniors and their caregivers with local resources that help them remain independent, as well as financial assistance programs and benefits counseling. This agency is part of the national network of Area Agencies on Aging.