11 Assisted Living Facilities near Mountain Top, PA
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mountain Top area, with 2 in Mountain Top and 9 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mountain Top. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mountain Top 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wilkes Barre with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mountain Top, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mountain Top, PA
9 Assisted Living Facilities near Mountain Top, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mountain Top
Nestled in Eastern Pennsylvania's Luzerne County, Mountain Top offers plenty for seniors to do, including picnics and scenic beauty at Seven Tubs Natural Area and social and fitness programs at the Mountain Top Senior Center. Seniors aged 65 and older make up 18% of Mountain Top's 12,000 people, and some in this age group may need the help available at the area's 12 assisted living facilities, two of which are in Mountain Top and 10 others in nearby cities like Kingston and Wilkes-Barre.
These facilities in Mountain Top and the rest of the commonwealth are overseen by the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing. In Pennsylvania, they're called assisted living residences (ALRs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mountain Top
- Compared to national and state averages of 100, Mountain Top's cost of living, at 97, is slightly lower, due mostly to lower grocery expense. This may be good news for families moving to the area to assist aging loved ones.
- Mountain Top's crime rates are both well below the national averages, which is good news for seniors who may feel more secure running errands in town. Mountain Top's violent crime rate of 9.3, is less than half the national average of 22.7; Mountain Top's property crime rate of 19.4.is 16 points lower than the U.S. average.
- Mountain Top's temperature ranges from 16-80 degrees, which is on par with the rest of the state. The area receives 47 inches of rain every year, 9 inches more than the U.S. average, and it receives 39 inches of snow, 11 more than the national average. The heavy precipitation may make it difficult for seniors with mobility issues to get around on certain days.
- At 80, Mountain Top's air quality is 22 points above the EPA-estimated national average of 58, so seniors with respiratory challenges may breathe a bit easier here.
- Mountain Top has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Wilkes-Barre.
- Mountain Top seniors, and those throughout the commonwealth, receive a break on IRAs, Social Security or 401(k)s since retirement income is exempt from taxes.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mountain Top
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Mountain Top start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mountain Top and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mountain Top
In Pennsylvania, including Mountain Top, seniors who already receive SSI may be eligible for financial assistance in paying assisted living costs. Per PA Code 2800.27, seniors cannot be charged more than their monthly income for these services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mountain Top
Mountain Top and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mountain Top, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mountain Top
Mountain Top-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mountain Top
Review of Davis Manor Assisted Living
My experience with the Davis Manor assisted living was pleasant for the most part. The staff seemed to be friendly and caring of the patients. My Uncle stayed there for a total of four months. He s... Read more