12 Assisted Living Facilities near Dallas, PA
Also serving communities of Harveys Lake.
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dallas area, with 3 in Dallas and 9 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 38 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dallas. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dallas 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Shenandoah with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dallas, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Dallas, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dallas
Dallas is a township in the northern part of Luzerne County. It was founded in 1817 and is now home to around 9,000 people, almost 22 percent of whom are over 65. Seniors in the area can find accommodation in one of the town's three assisted living facilities. There are a further 20 in nearby communities including Kingston, Plymouth and Hunlock Creek. These facilities and licensed and monitored by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services' Office of Long-Term Living and are known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dallas
- The Dallas area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Wilkes-Barre.
- The Luzerne County Transportation Authority has a fixed-route service that goes through Dallas. Senior riders are eligible to travel for free. LCTA also has a shared ride program that offers curb-to-curb service for a small fee.
- Dallas has cold winters with the low temperature in January averaging 15 degrees Fahrenheit. The town has 89 days of annual precipitation and there's an average of 45 inches of rain and 36 inches of snow per year, both higher than the national average. This may be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors.
- The overall crime rate in Dallas is just 10 crimes per 1,000 residents, lower than 68 percent of other U.S. communities. The violent crime rate is 2.17, around one point lower than the state average. Property crime occurs at a rate of 7.59, compared to the state average of 17.43. Safety-conscious seniors may feel comfortable choosing an assisted living community in Dallas.
- Luzerne County, including Dallas, has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Luzerne County Area Agency on Aging, an organization that promotes independence and healthy lifestyles as well as more than one senior center.
- Seniors aged over 60 years old do not have to pay income tax on money received from Social Security, pensions or retirement funds in Pennsylvania. Additionally, the state has one of the lowest sales tax rates in the country, allowing seniors to save more for their retirement budget.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dallas
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Dallas start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dallas and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dallas
The state of Pennsylvania has an Optional State Supplement (OSS) which may provide financial assistance to seniors in Dallas who receive Social Security income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dallas
Dallas and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dallas, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dallas
Dallas-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dallas
Review of The Meadows Manor
The Meadows Manor seemed very nice, but costly, and if your loved one has Alzheimer's, they charge more. They have rehab facilities and they have different programs for the seniors if they're capab... Read more
Review of Mercy Center Personal Care Home
My dad moved into assisted living at Mercy Center Skilled Nursing & Personal Care, and it's a nice place. We have no issues with the staff. The food is good, and the dining area is very nice. D... Read more
Review of The Village at Greenbriar
Greenbriar is inviting from the minute the doors slide open. The decor and warmth inside are a delight to the eye. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the activities are in abundance. I woul... Read more