19 Assisted Living Facilities near Clarks Summit, PA
Also serving communities of Dickson City.
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Clarks Summit area, with 5 in Clarks Summit and 14 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Clarks Summit is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Scranton with an average starting cost of $3,279.
To help you with your search, browse the 63 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Clarks Summit. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Clarks Summit 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Pittston with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Clarks Summit, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Clarks Summit, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Clarks Summit
Clarks Summit is a borough of Lackawanna County, located in northeastern Pennsylvania, near Scranton. The original land grant was given to William Clark for fighting in the Revolutionary War at the Battle of Bunker Hill in Massachusetts. Clark and his three sons were the only residents when they built their log cabin in 1799, but now slightly more than 5,100 people live in the borough with nearly 1,100 of them being in the 65 and older age bracket.
Some of these people may need assistance with activities of daily living. To that purpose, six assisted living residences (ALRs), as they're called in Clarks Summit and throughout Pennsylvania, are in the area to provide support, with two in Scranton and four in other nearby towns. They're regulated and licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Aging or the Department of Public Welfare.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Clarks Summit
- Clarks Summit's cost of living rating is only two points below the state and national medians of 100. Groceries and housing are almost six points lower than the national costs, and healthcare is slightly higher at 108. Families may stretch their budgets with lower living expenses to make up for healthcare fees.
- In Clarks Summit, the violent crime rate is remarkably low at only 9.4 compared to the national average of 22.7. The property crime rate is over 25 points below the U.S. average of 35.4 at 10.2. Families can rest easier if their loved one is in an ALR in this area.
- In Pennsylvania, residents 60 and older do not pay taxes on their retirement income, including Social Security benefits, pensions and other retirement accounts. This across-the-board exemption and the low sales tax rate may provide flexibility in a family's budget for healthcare.
- Clarks Summit's climate is a bit wetter than the national annual average with 45 inches of rain and 55 inches of snow. The U.S. averages are 39 and 26, respectively. Summer high temperatures reach 81 degrees, and lows in winter may drop to 18 degrees. Clark's Summit has a Comfort Index of 47, which is seven points below the U.S. average. Seniors who like mild weather and four distinct seasons can get outdoors during most of the year.
- The air quality in Lackawanna County is hit and miss. Particle pollution received an "A" from the American Lung Association, but their ozone pollution levels only rated a "D."
- Clarks Summit has no facilities to choose from in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital specializing in brain health and dementia care located in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.
Paying for Assisted Living in Clarks Summit
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Clarks Summit start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Clarks Summit and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Clarks Summit
Medicaid benefits for assisted living services aren't available in Pennsylvania, but seniors living in Clarks Summit who are receiving Supplemental Security Income may get extra funds to cover personal assistance.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Clarks Summit
Clarks Summit and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Clarks Summit, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Clarks Summit
Clarks Summit-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Clarks Summit
Review of Clarks Summit Senior Living
I have been a guest in the facility for a couple years now and have seen a huge change in the past year. The loving and caring staff that use to be there is no longer there. There is still a select... Read more
Review of The Pines Senior Living
I went to the Pines, and it was relatively new, beautiful, and pristine. They had a beauty salon, a big dining room, a movie theater, an exercise room, and a big community area. However, I was cree... Read more
Review of The Pines Senior Living
Pets are not allowed at The Pines at Clarks Summit. The staff was very professional, very friendly, very neat, and very pleasant. You can have your food brought to your room if you didn’t want to g... Read more