17 Assisted Living Facilities near Wilkes Barre, PA
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wilkes Barre area, with 6 in Wilkes Barre and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Wilkes Barre is $1,590 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wilkes Barre. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wilkes Barre 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Shenandoah with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Wilkes Barre find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wilkes Barre, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Wilkes Barre, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wilkes Barre
Wilkes-Barre is located near Scranton in Eastern Pennsylvania. The city is nicknamed “The Diamond City” due to the large coal reserves that were discovered there in the 19th century. While the city is no longer a major industrial center, it’s still home to over 41,000 residents; nearly 16% of them are seniors. For these seniors, there are 16 assisted living facilities located in the Wilkes-Barre area, with five located within city limits.
These assisted living facilities are licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. In licensed facilities, seniors receive food, shelter and assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing. These facilities must comply with the state’s regulations, such as providing rooms with kitchen capacity.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wilkes Barre
- Seniors with respiratory conditions may breathe a little easier in Wilkes-Barre. The American Lung Association maintains a ranking of the cleanest cities in America. On one air quality measure, 24-hour particle pollution, the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area is tied for first place.
- Wilkes-Barre’s overall cost of living is 26% lower than the nationwide norm. Housing costs are approximately one-fifth the U.S. average. Seniors on a fixed income may notice that their retirement funds stretch further in Wilkes-Barre.
- Many types of retirement income are not taxed in Pennsylvania. These include Social Security benefits and military pensions. Distributions from some retirement accounts, such as 401(k)s and IRAs, are also exempt from tax. These senior-friendly tax policies can help make Wilkes-Barre even more affordable.
- The climate in Wilkes-Barre is less comfortable than the national average. The city receives above average amounts of both rain and snow, and it also receives significantly fewer sunny days. For seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors, the climate may be a drawback.
- Art enthusiasts will enjoy the city’s many art galleries, including the Art E Fecks Gallery and Salonicks Shades of Gray Gallery. The city is also home to cultural centers, buffer dinner theaters, theaters for the performing arts and other attractions.
- The Wilkes-Barre area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wilkes Barre
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Wilkes Barre start around $1,590 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wilkes Barre and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wilkes Barre
While Pennsylvania doesn’t pay for assisted living services through its Medicaid plan, it may offer funding through other programs. Low-income seniors who receive SSI benefits may receive top-up funding through optional state supplementation.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wilkes Barre
Wilkes Barre and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wilkes Barre, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wilkes Barre
Wilkes Barre-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Wilkes Barre, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wilkes Barre
Review of Riverview Ridge
Everybody there is so helpful and attentive. The administration helps every step of the way and are constantly making rounds. The aids are sweet and treat the residents like family. The activities ... Read more
Review of North Penn Manor
North Penn Manor was the best place that I've been to. I took my husband with me there and he made friends right away. It's a really friendly family environment. The apartment we saw was very nice,... Read more
Review of Riverview Ridge
They have Private and or semi private rooms. Residents are friendly . Care about each other. The activities director tries to keep them entertained and busy with doing exercise games, bingo.... Read more