18 Assisted Living Facilities near Cortland, NY
Also serving communities of Groton.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Cortland area, with 2 in Cortland and 16 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Cortland is $3,410 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 96 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Cortland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Cortland 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cortland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Cortland, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cortland
Cortland, New York, is a city of about 19,000 in the Southern Tier of New York near the center of the state. It is called the Crown City because of its seven valleys that form a crown. Seniors who are history buffs will enjoy Cortland’s historic locations on the National Register of Historic Places. There are 10 places in Cortland on the list, including the courthouse, poor farm, corset factory and the library. There is only one assisted living facility in the city, with two more in nearby Homer. All adult homes in Cortland and throughout New York are licensed and regulated by the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cortland
- Cortland has warm summers and cold winters. July's average temperatures are a high of 81 degrees and a low of 59. In the coldest month, January, the high temperature averages 31 and the low is 15. The city averages 90 inches of snow per year, which could be a hazard for seniors.
- The city of Cortland has a cost of living lower than the national average. Housing is nearly 50 percent lower than the national average and one of the lowest in New York. This makes the cost of living more affordable for seniors.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the safest, Cortland has a crime safety rating of 25. Property crime is the highest threat to public safety, and 1 in 42 people face a property crime within the city.
- The Cortland area has one hospital, Cortland Regional Medical Center, in the event of a medical emergency or illness.
- Cortland wants to make sure residents get around the city easily with several transportation options. Cortland Transit has regular bus routes and curb-to-curb rides. There are also specialized buses and taxis for disabled residents.
- The state does not tax social security benefits. This means seniors get every penny of their checks.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cortland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Cortland start around $3,410 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cortland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cortland
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cortland
Cortland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cortland, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cortland
Cortland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Cortland
Review of Walden Place
Walden Place was excellent, and the staff was fantastic. It had both assisted and memory care, which were excellent. The food looked good. The place was outstanding. Read more
Review of Walden Place
Walden Place was nice. The people who lived there were happy and had things to do. We enjoyed the dining area, lunch choices, and thought that it was a really nice and pretty place. The rooms were ... Read more
Review of Walden Place
Walden Place is a great place. It is impressive. It's a nice and homey place. It would be a wonderful place for somebody's mother. The person who assisted me was very friendly. I didn't try the foo... Read more