16 Assisted Living Facilities near Syracuse, NY
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Syracuse area, with 9 in Syracuse and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Syracuse is $3,417 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 107 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Syracuse. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Syracuse 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Liverpool with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Syracuse, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Syracuse, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Syracuse
Syracuse, New York, in the central part of the state is home to Syracuse University and is known for its championship basketball program and incredible amounts of snow every winter. About 12 percent of Syracuse's approximately 143,000 residents are 65 and older, and seniors looking to move into assisted living facilities in Syracuse may be pleased to know that the state has a very strict set of rules and regulations that all licensed assisted living facilities must follow. There are 15 assisted living facilities in the Syracuse area from which seniors can choose.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Syracuse
- Syracuse is known for its cold, snowy winters. November through March temperatures usually below freezing, as low as 17 degrees on average, with an average annual snowfall of 123 inches. This type of weather may be tough on seniors and affect their overall health.
- The air quality in Syracuse is considered good on a regular basis, due in part to its proximity to Lake Ontario, which dispels a lot of the urban pollution. This will help seniors with respiratory issues to breathe easier on a regular basis.
- The cost of living in Syracuse is below both the state and national averages, primarily because of the low cost of housing in the area. However, all the other necessities, such as groceries, utilities and transportation, are in line with the national average in terms of cost.
- As the fifth-largest city in the state of New York, Syracuse has crime issues often seen in an urban area, with the crime rate almost double the national average. It is only 9 percent safer than other cities across America.
- The Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council, or SMTC, has set up a program called United We Ride, which provides transportation for seniors around the community. It provides free rides to seniors across the region.
- Syracuse is home to world-class medical facilities, like Upstate University Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Syracuse
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Syracuse start around $3,417 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Syracuse and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Syracuse
Beyond Medicaid, the state of New York provides a couple of waiver programs that help seniors afford their chosen assisted living facility. The Managed Long Term Care Waiver helps residents with payment in assisted living facilities and the Assisted Living Program helps those who qualify for nursing home care but want to live in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Syracuse
Syracuse and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Syracuse, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Syracuse
Syracuse-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Syracuse, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Syracuse
Review of Brookdale Bellevue
All of the staff are very nice, however the resident had better be able to fend for themselves and be pretty self-sufficient if they live there. There is no “ hands on” treatment at all. The staff ... Read more
Review of The Hearth on James
The Hearth on James was very nice and the staff who accommodated me was very helpful. The dining area was beautiful, and I tried a piece of the asparagus which was good. Their rooms there were also... Read more
Review of The Bernardine
Do not bring your loved one here! My Mother is there and has been for over 2 years, I have had to make numerous calls to case manger, director and nursing supervisor there. They have given her wron... Read more