5 Assisted Living Facilities near Auburn, NY
Also serving communities of Skaneateles.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Auburn area, with 4 in Auburn and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Auburn. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Auburn 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Baldwinsville with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Auburn, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Auburn, NY
1 Assisted Living Facility near Auburn, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Auburn
Auburn, New York, is located near the heart of the Empire State. Harriet Tubman, the abolitionist and underground railroad worker, owned a plot of land in Auburn where she created a fugitive slave house for friends and family escaping to the North. Her house is now on the National Register of Historic Places and is just one of the pieces of history seniors can discover in Auburn.
The senior population of Auburn is approximately 17 percent and is served with four assisted living facilities in the city limits of Auburn and three in the surrounding areas. Assisted living facilities - or adult care facilities (ACF), as they are referred to in the state of New York - are defined as centers providing long-term, non-medical residential services to adults who are unable to live independently. There are three separate types of ACFs in New York which are regulated by the State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Auburn
- The Auburn area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Auburn Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Auburn has an array of community resources for seniors, including The Senior Citizens Club, an organization that offers art classes, wellness programs and blood tests or hearing consultations.
- Though New York is considered an expensive state, Auburn's cost of living is 16 percent cheaper than the national average and 38 percent cheaper than New York's average. Seniors who wish to live in New York but experience more affordability within the state could select Auburn.
- Auburn gets 106 inches of snow per year on average, much higher than the national average of 26 inches per year. Such wet winters could be difficult for seniors who enjoy spending time outside.
- Centro is the main public transit system in Auburn and offers reduced fare for seniors who show either a Centro ID or a combination of a Medicare card and photo ID. If seniors are looking to visit New York City, Trailways bus service supplies 10 percent off regular adult fares and half-off off-peak hour rates.
- In Auburn, chances of being a victim of property crime are 1 in 30 as opposed to the New York average of 1 in 65. Because of this, seniors should inquire how prospective assisted living facilities keep residents and their property secure, and seniors should take extra precautions when out and about in the city.
Paying for Assisted Living in Auburn
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Auburn start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Auburn and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Auburn
In the state of New York, up to 4,200 eligible seniors (whether Medicaid recipients or self-paying) can receive financial assistance via Medicaid's Assisted Living Program (ALP) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Auburn
Auburn and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Auburn, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Auburn
Auburn-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Auburn
Review of Northbrook Heights
Food is good and there are many activities...The staff are very compassionate... Read more
Review of Faatz-Crofut Home for the Elderly
The Home Is An Excellent Choice For Assisted Living If You Live Near Auburn, NY. The Providers Provide A Homelike Living Experience For Residents w/ Rooms For Each Resident, Activities, Meals -3 Pe... Read more
Review of Northbrook Heights
I can’t say a lot of Northbrook. The people working there are not great and there’s a high turnover. There are two people in one room and there’s not a lot of room. The food is mediocre. Some peopl... Read more