4 Assisted Living Facilities in Oswego, NY
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oswego. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oswego 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oswego, call (855) 863-8283.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oswego
Review of St. Francis Commons
St. Francis Commons is excellent. I am very happy with the services. The security and maintenance are very good. My husband is living there now. The food and the dining area are excellent. Everythi... Read more
Review of Morningstar Residental Care Center
My loved one is now in Morningstar. My first impression from this facility was that they seemed to have a very sufficient amount of help. The surroundings are nice. Everything is clean and pleasant... Read more
Assisted Living near Oswego County, NY
More Options Near Oswego, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oswego
Oswego, New York, is situated in north central New York on the banks of Lake Ontario. Outdoor activities abound in this region in all seasons, with fishing being a popular activity among seniors in the milder months of the year. The State University of New York at Oswego also offers lifelong learning opportunities.
Oswego is a city of about 17,000 people with 14.1 percent aged 65 and older. There are five assisted living facilities in Oswego and one in nearby Hannibal, New York. In Oswego, as in the rest of New York, assisted living communities are designated Adult Care Facilities (ACF) and are regulated by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oswego
- Oswego receives an average of 137 inches of snow each winter. It's been called one of the snowiest cities in America. This type of climate and weather extremes could present health and mobility challenges to seniors in the area.
- The cost of living in Oswego is 16.7 percent lower than the national U.S. average, especially in the areas of housing and health care.
- Taxes in Oswego are slightly higher than in other states. New York state sales tax is 4 percent -- tied for seventh-lowest in the nation -- but the additional 4 percent assessed by Oswego County pushes the city above the national average. The income tax rate is 6.5 percent,
- The Oswego County Public Transit offers free Call-N-Ride bus service for seniors 60 and over. The vehicles are ADA-accessible with lifts that can accommodate up to 800 pounds. Transportation to Medicaid and non-emergency medical appointments can be scheduled.
- The Oswego County Office for the Aging offers a Home Delivered Meals Program. Seniors may also gather for activities and meals at eight Senior Dining and Activity centers in the county. Transportation for seniors is available to some centers on designated days.
- The Oswego area is home to Oswego Hospital in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oswego
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Oswego start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oswego and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oswego
Residents of Oswego have several options for assisted living financial assistance, including Medicaid waivers such as the Managed Long Term Care Waiver (MLTC) and the Consumer-Directed Personal Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oswego
Oswego and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oswego, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oswego
Oswego-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.