33 Assisted Living Facilities near Shelby Township, MI
Also serving communities of Utica, Washington.
There are 33 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shelby Township area, with 3 in Shelby Township and 30 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Shelby Township is $4,201 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Shelby with an average starting cost of $3,954.
To help you with your search, browse the 222 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shelby Township. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shelby Township 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Macomb with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shelby Township, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Shelby Township, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shelby Township
Shelby Township, Michigan, is an affluent suburb located to the north of Detroit with 1,200 acres of public parks, complete with paved walking trails running along the Clinton River. The Yates Cider Mill historic water-powered mill is an especially popular place for tours, easy nature walks, and tasty local treats seniors can enjoy. In a population of nearly 80,000, 17.3 percent are seniors over 65, and there are seven assisted living facilities to serve their needs, with a further 99 assisted living communities in Detriot proper. It is important to note that the State of Michigan does not license assisted living facilities. Instead, facilities that provide a certain level of care or are considered a Home for the Aged or Adult Foster Care Home are required to carry one of several specific licenses if the level of care provided at the facility meets certain criteria as determined by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shelby Township
- Weather in Shelby Township means long, snowy winters and mild summers. January lows dip down in an average of 14, while high temperatures in July are about 81. Seniors who are sensitive to cold will be uncomfortable in the winter.
- Cost of living in Shelby Township is 82, compared to the national average of 100. Grocery costs and health care are close to the national average, but housing costs are about half the U.S. average, which may allow seniors on a budget to stretch their assisted living dollars further.
- Violent crime rates in Shelby Township are on par with the national average, while property crime rates are about two-thirds lower. Seniors may enjoy the safety of this suburb.
- Shelby residents aged 65 and older, or those with a qualifying disability, are eligible for reduced bus fares on the SMART lines. Paratransport and dial-a-ride services may also be available in the outlying areas.
- Shelby Township has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Shelby Township Senior Center, an organization that offers classes and group activities as well as a community loan closet of free medical equipment and rides to appointments, senior center activities, or shopping.
- The Shelby Township area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Henry Ford Macomb Health Center and Beaumont Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shelby Township
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Shelby Township start around $4,092 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shelby Township and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shelby Township
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services offers an MI Choice Waiver Program, designed to help offset the costs of assisted living and nursing home care. Through this program, eligible adults who meet income and asset criteria can receive Medicaid-covered services like those provided by nursing homes but can stay in their own home or another residential setting.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shelby Township
Shelby Township and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shelby Township, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shelby Township
Shelby Township-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Shelby Township, MI
Other Options in Shelby Township, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shelby Township
Review of Hampton Manor of Shelby
Hampton is a beautiful facility with caring staff who go way above and beyond the call of duty. Small community all on one floor. The residents and administration are really accessible and get to... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Shelby Township
Sunrise of Shelby Township was very busy, very active, it was a little smaller in size, and a little pricier over our budget. The staff seemed to be okay and attentive. The rooms were small, there'... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Shelby Township
Sunrise of Shelby Township had smaller rooms than the place we ended up choosing. They had two-bedrooms with one bathroom. Their rooms and bathrooms were smaller and weren't as handicapped accessib... Read more