19 Assisted Living Facilities near Macomb, MI
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Macomb area, with 2 in Macomb and 17 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 131 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Macomb. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Macomb 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Macomb, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Macomb, MI
17 Assisted Living Facilities near Macomb, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Macomb
Macomb Township is located in the Detroit metro area of Michigan and was first settled in the 1830s by German farmers. As of the most recent census, there are now nearly 91,000 people living in Macomb, almost 12% of whom are seniors.
In Macomb, assisted living facilities are also called homes for the aged, as they exclusively serve adults age 60 and over. These facilities are licensed and monitored by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Macomb has two facilities, and there are 16 more in nearby cities like Shelby and Chesterfield.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Macomb
- In Macomb, all retirement income except for Social Security benefits are subject to state income tax. However, senior taxpayers can claim a large deduction to offset this expense, leaving more money in the budget for assisted living.
- While particle pollution levels in the Macomb region are relatively low, the American Lung Association reports high ozone pollution levels. This may be a consideration for seniors who have a chronic condition that is affected by air quality.
- Macomb Community Action's transportation program provides transportation to medical appointments and other locations for eligible seniors in Macomb. Transportation is available by request Monday through Friday during normal business hours, and all vehicles are wheelchair-accessible.
- The Macomb area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension St. John Hospital Health Center at 23 Mile and St. John Providence in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Macomb has a crime rate that is lower than 84% of cities of all sizes across the country and is one of the safest communities of its size within the United States. Residents have a one in 1,286 chance of being the victim of a violent crime and a one in 178 chance of being the victim of a property crime, which may make the city a good option for active seniors.
- Summers in Macomb are fairly comfortable with highs around 82 degrees. Winters are chilly with lows around 17 degrees, and the city gets an average of 32 inches of snow per year. While this is about 4 inches higher than the national average, it is half the state average and may appeal to seniors who rely on mobility aids.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Macomb
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Macomb start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Macomb and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Macomb
Qualifying Macomb seniors may use the Medicaid State Plan to cover their assisted living expenses. Additionally, there are two Medicaid waivers, including the MI Health Link and the MI Choice waiver programs, that cover care services. Seniors who receive the federal Supplemental Security Income benefit may be eligible to receive the optional state supplement, which can be used toward living expenses, including room and board expenses in assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Macomb
Macomb and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Macomb, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Macomb
Macomb-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Macomb
Review of Walnut Creek Living
Walnut Creek Living has been a godsend for our family. My father received the very, very best care anyone could ask for. The caregivers were so loving and took such good care of my father to the ve... Read more