16 Assisted Living Facilities near Flat Rock, MI
Also serving communities of Rockwood, Rockwood.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Flat Rock area, with 2 in Flat Rock and 14 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Flat Rock is $2,850 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Riverview with an average starting cost of $2,230.
To help you with your search, browse the 99 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Flat Rock. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Flat Rock 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brownstown Township with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Flat Rock, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Flat Rock, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Flat Rock
Flat Rock was originally settled by the Wyandot people and was a designated Wyandot reservation until 1830. After the Erie Canal opened in 1825, the community had four stores, several different types of mills and 250 residents. Today, it has over 10,000 residents, about 11% of whom are seniors.
There are 14 assisted living facilities in the Flat Rock region, including two in Flat Rock proper and a dozen more in nearby cities like Trenton and Riverview. In Michigan, assisted living facilities accommodate adults age 60 and over and are officially called homes for the aged. They are governed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Flat Rock
- Flat Rock's cost of living is about 2% higher than the national average and about 5% higher than the statewide average. However, this is mainly due to the high cost of transportation expenses, which may be offset by the city's relatively affordable healthcare costs and groceries. That might make the city a viable option for seniors with tight budgets.
- Flat Rock's crime rate is lower than the U.S. average, and most of the crime that takes place here is property-related, which may appeal to seniors looking for a safe community.
- Flat Rock has pleasant summers with highs around 83 degrees and chilly winters with lows in the teens. The city receives an average of 35 inches of snow per year compared to the nationwide average of 28 inches, which may pose a challenge for seniors who rely on mobility aids.
- The Flat Rock area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Trenton.
- Seniors in Flat Rock do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, and they are eligible to claim a large deduction on other types of retirement income.
- The high level of ozone pollution and moderate level of short-term particle pollution reported by the American Lung Association in Wayne County, where Flat Rock is located, may be a concern for seniors who have certain health conditions like COPD.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Flat Rock
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Flat Rock start around $2,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Flat Rock and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Flat Rock
The Medicaid State Plan may cover assisted living services in Flat Rock for low-income seniors. Additionally, the state has two Medicaid waiver programs, including MI Health Link and MI Choice, that may cover services. Seniors who are SSI recipients may be eligible to receive the optional state supplement, which can be put toward assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Flat Rock
Flat Rock and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Flat Rock, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Flat Rock
Flat Rock-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Flat Rock, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Flat Rock
Review of Falkirk Assisted Living
Our experience with Falkirk so far has been OK, although there has been a little bit of confusion. The staff seems OK, so far. I had a concern and asked one staff member a question in regards to se... Read more