21 Assisted Living Facilities near Westminster, MD
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Westminster area, with 14 in Westminster and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Westminster is $4,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346.
To help you with your search, browse the 38 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Westminster. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Westminster 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Reisterstown with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Westminster, call (855) 863-8283.
14 Assisted Living Facilities in Westminster, MD
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Westminster, MD
Assisted Living near Westminster, MD
Other Options in Westminster, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Westminster
Review of Sunrise of Carroll
We're really happy with this community. It's close to where my mom was living so that's good because her friends can see her. She has a private room which is very bright. She has four big windows a... Read more
Review of Sun Valley at The Woods
My mother stayed at The Woods of Sun Valley, and it was pretty nice. However, my mother went out, and they did not notice that she was gone. They moved her to the unit for dementia patients. I didn... Read more
Review of Sun Valley at Ridge Overlook
My mother transferred to Ridge Overlook, but my sister and I didnt really care for it. Its not really bad on the outside, but on the inside, we didnt really care for it. The staff was nice. We t... Read more
Assisted Living near Carroll County, MD
More Options Near Westminster, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Westminster
The City of Westminster is a suburb of Baltimore located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's home to around 18,500 people, and just over 14 percent of the population is aged 65 and older. Seniors in the city can find accommodation in one of the area's 21 assisted living facilities, which are overseen by the Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Westminster
- The Westminster area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carroll Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Carroll Transit System offers public transport services to Westminster. Seniors aged 65 and older are eligible for discounted fares. Seniors may also be able to access the shared-ride, door-to-door paratransit service; however, availability is limited.
- Westminster has warm summers and cold winters. The average high temperature in July is 88 degrees, and in January the low averages 22. The city gets an average of 204 days of sunshine each year, one less than the national average, affording seniors plenty of chances to enjoy spending time outdoors.
- Westminster has an overall crime rate of 39 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 91 percent of Maryland's other towns and cities. The property crime rate of 32.16 is 10 points higher and the violent crime rate of 6.88 is almost two points higher than the Maryland rate. Safety-conscious seniors may wish to discuss security precautions with staff when they tour facilities.
- The overall cost of living in Westminster is 121 on the Sperling index. This is 21 points higher than the national average of 100 and is mainly impacted by the cost of housing. Everyday expenses like groceries and healthcare are rated lower than the national median, which may help the budget of seniors on a fixed income.
- Income from non-public pensions and retirement accounts are subject to state income tax in Maryland, although a deduction is available for taxpayers aged 65 and older. Income from public pensions and Social Security is exempt from income tax, which may help Westminster seniors save money for assisted living.
Paying for Assisted Living in Westminster
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Westminster start around $4,000 per month on average, which is on par with the average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Westminster and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Westminster
Parkville seniors who receive Social Security payments, or who would be eligible except for income, may be able to receive the Optional State Supplement. Maryland also has the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy available to seniors in small assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Westminster
Westminster and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Westminster, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Westminster
Westminster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.