Westminster is a small suburb of Baltimore, Maryland. It’s nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, far enough away from the Baltimore city center for residents to enjoy a more rural setting but still close enough for residents to enjoy the shopping and dining destinations in Baltimore. Seniors can explore the history of Washington, D.C., or access some of the best healthcare facilities in the world, including Johns Hopkins Hospital and Sinai Medical Center.

Many of Westminster’s seniors, about 16% of the city’s 20,000 residents, may be considering their options for long-term care, including assisted living, which averages $5,000 per month. Assisted living communities pair apartment-style living with 24-7 personal care and assistance with the tasks of daily living. Nutritious meals are included, plus light housekeeping and maintenance. Assisted living communities also have different activities for residents, from fitness classes to games to a gardening club and group outings.

This guide covers the cost of assisted living and other types of senior care in Westminster and some features to consider about living here. We also include an overview of free resources for seniors and their families to help locate government benefits and enhance their quality of life.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Westminster, MD

The Terraces at Westminster

45 Washington Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

I did a tour of The Terraces at Westminster. It was very nice, but the price range was way up. They had everything there but the price was twice as much. They had everything there. It’s a beautiful … (read more)

2015

Brightview Westminster Ridge

505 High Acre Dr , Westminster, MD, 21157

I had my wife at Brightview Westminster Ridge for a month. I wasn’t very impressed. I ended up taking her out of there because after two weeks she developed a urinary tract infection and was sent to t … (read more)

Carroll Lutheran Village

300 St. Luke Circle, Westminster, MD, 21158

I looked at Carroll Lutheran Village. It was good. There were a number of questions that the staff could not answer, unfortunately. It’s a little far out there, and it’s in a rural setting off the bea … (read more)

Golden Crest Corporation Iv

1777 Nelson Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

Everything about Golden Crest Corporation IV is nice. It’s clean, looks fairly new, and seems like they have good care. They have nice rooms and each of them has its own bathroom. We’re pleased with t … (read more)

Lookabout Manor

1510 Stone Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

Look About Manor, in my opinion, is not what I think of when I imagine assisted living, it is many times better. The number of residents is small and each person is given a level of individual care th … (read more)

Bethania Care Home, Inc

1305 Uniontown Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

Bethania Care Home’s rooms were clean and had sufficient furniture, but the residents wouldn’t have their own bathroom and would have to share with one other person at least. They have a very clean fa … (read more)

Sun Valley at The Meadows

4113 Ridge Rd, Westminster, MD, 21157

Sun Valley Assisted Living LLC was a clean facility. The help was nice. It’s in a good location (kind of in the country), but not far from where you get to a town. The rooms were also nice and clean. … (read more)

Hidden Treasure

564 Marshall Dr, , Westminster, MD, 21157

My aunt is in Hidden Treasures. I liked that the employer also works there. She is very nice, caring, and very devoted to the residents. The food is excellent, outstanding, and it is homemade. They ca … (read more)

Sun Valley at The Woods

3830 Baker Road , Westminster, MD, 21157

My mother stayed at The Woods of Sun Valley, and it was pretty nice. However, my mother went out, and they did not notice that she was gone. They moved her to the unit for dementia patients. I didn’t … (read more)

Sun Valley at Ridge Overlook

3816 Ridge Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

My mother transferred to Ridge Overlook, but my sister and I didn’t really care for it. It’s not really bad on the outside, but on the inside, we didn’t really care for it. The staff was nice. We t … (read more)

Country Acres Assisted Living

2470 Collison Dr., Westminster, MD, 21157

Country Acres Assisted Living just looks like a regular house, the residents were all eating in a regular dining table in the kitchen. It was small and cramped to me. The only staff that I saw there w … (read more)

Byrd Manor, Inc

2541 Cedar Ridge Drive, Westminster, MD, 21158

Sunflower Hill Assisted Living

416 Uniontown Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

Lorien Taneytown

100 Antrim Blvd., Taneytown, MD, 21787

I did not care for Lorien Taneytown. They let me sit for half an hour and wait after my appointment time, and I wasn’t happy about that. It just didn’t appeal to me. I couldn’t really get a sense of t … (read more)

Nova Springs

2261 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg, MD, 21048

I toured Nova Springs. They were my first pick, and they still are. It was very clean, very functional, very open, and very cozy. I don’t think they had kitchenettes in the rooms, but the rooms were s … (read more)

Senior Constant Care

1200 West Old Liberty Road, Sykesville, MD, 21784

My uncle was in Senior Constant Care until he passed away. It was a lot smaller as a facility. My uncle was there for quite some time, and they took good care of him.

Golden Crest Assisted Living

4110 St. Paul Road, Hampstead, MD, 21074

We have chosen the Golden Crest Assisted Living for my mom. It is convenient to where I’m going to be moving to. It’s a house. The outside and inside were very welcoming. The staff seemed very friendl … (read more)

North Pines Assisted Living

3316 Wilhelm Lane, Manchester, MD, 21102

Since placing Mom at North Pines in October 2020, we have had an exceptional experience. Mom has her own room for privacy. Before this, she lived on her own which was an extremely lonely situation for … (read more)

Country Companions Assisted Living, Inc.

3217 Bert Koontz Road, Taneytown, MD, 21787

Country Companions was just assisted living ,and they said they could handle memory care, but they didn’t let us know that they could only handle Level 3. It was good, but it didn’t have enough staff … (read more)

Golden Crest Corporation Ii

4019 Evergreen Drive, Hampstead, MD, 21074

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Westminster

As in all of Maryland, assisted living communities in Westminster are regulated by the Maryland Department of Health. All facilities are required to have an operating license issued by this agency and must undergo regular inspections to retain the licensure. Regulations include the cleanliness and liveability of each community. Staff members and on-site medical professionals also have their credentials verified.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Westminster

• Violent crime rates in Westminster are slightly lower than the national average, 20.8 compared to 22.7. Property crime rates, however, are much higher than the U.S. overall, 53.9 compared to 35.4. It’s important to note that assisted living communities have security plus staff on hand around the clock. In addition, many communities also offer escorts for seniors when on group outings or when shopping or running errands.
  • Westminster and the greater Baltimore area are rated as one of the top ten places to retire. This designation is based on several components, including the cost of living, accessibility of resources for the elderly and general liveability. This area, in particular, is acknowledged to have some of the finest health care in the nation.
  • The weather in Westminster is generally pleasant. Summer highs average around 86 degrees, and the area receives 204 days of sunshine each year. Winters can be cold and snowy, however. January low temperatures average 21 degrees, with an average of 26 inches of snow each year, less than the national average of 28.
  • The cost of living in Westminster is about 10 points higher than the U.S. median, 110.8 compared to 100. Healthcare, an important consideration for many seniors, is lower than the national average, 89 compared to 100.
  • Maryland seniors who have an income of less than $100,000 per year may receive a state income tax break. No taxes are levied on the first $50,000 of income, and the remainder is taxed at a lesser rate. This includes the income derived from wages, retirement accounts, pensions and Social Security.
  • The air quality in Westminster is a little better than the national average, 65/100 compared to 58/100. Water quality, however, is a bit lower than the national average, 50/100 compared to 55/100.

Paying for Assisted Living in Westminster

Westminster’s monthly assisted living fees are $5,000, as per Genworth Financial’s Cost of Care Survey 2020. The city matches the average for Maryland, which is also $5,000 per month. Both city and state are $700 more than the national average for assisted living, $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Compared to other Maryland cities, Westminster is in the middle. Bethesda ($6,000) and Salisbury ($5,500) are more expensive than Westminster, while Hagerstown ($4,500) and Cumberland ($4,665) are less.

Westminster

Salisbury

$4665

Cumberland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living isn’t the only choice for Westminster seniors. Some choose to age in place at home, hiring a homemaker service to help with chores and tasks of daily living ($4,671) or a home health aide ($4,957) for light medical care in the home. Seniors with a caregiver at home who only need assistance during the day may attend adult day health care ($1,896), including many assisted living services without overnight accommodations. Nursing homes are best for people with significant health needs and average $11,984 for a semiprivate room and $12,805 per month for a private one.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Westminster was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Westminster

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Westminster

Seniors and their families have access to many free resources in the Westminster and greater Baltimore area, helping them apply for health care and other support resources, and enhancing their general quality of life.

Resource

Contact

Description

The long-term care ombudsman agency represents the interests of residents in long-term care communities. Ombudsmen help seniors and their families evaluate different assisted living facilities in the area, finding the right fit for each individual. Other services include investigating complaints filed by residents of these communities or by families of residents and referring these complaints to the Maryland Department of Health if necessary.

Seniors who cannot afford their own legal representation in civil matters may receive free or low-cost assistance from volunteer attorneys at Maryland Legal Aid. These attorneys can advocate in elder abuse or neglect cases or draft legal documents, including wills and trusts, living wills and powers of attorney.

(410) 887-2080

Area seniors and those requiring a wheelchair or handicapped transportation accommodations may use the Baltimore Ride Service, which offers free shuttle service, as well as escorts for people who need them.

The state Department of Aging is tasked with making Maryland an attractive place for seniors to retire. This includes helping Maryland communities fund and administer programs that enhance the lives of area seniors and provide resources to help them retain their health and independence.

The county loan closet offers loans of durable medical equipment, including wheelchairs, walkers and canes, toileting and shower chairs and wheelchair ramps. Seniors may borrow indefinitely, but the items in the loan closet can vary, depending on donations from the community.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Westminster

Westminster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland